Rainbow Germanium Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

TallestTSX
10+ year member

There are about a thousand questions about them here, but I wanted to ask a few more:

1) I see that they're rated at 100 RMS and 150 MAX, but I was wondering what people power theirs with? Any specific 4-channel amps you would recommend (I'd like to bridge the other two channels into a DVC sub)?

2) What is the crossover point on the Germaniums? Is it adjustable? On the same subject, what is the frequency response of the tweeter?

3) Anyone installed them in an Acura TL or TSX? I'm worried the mids might not fit in my TSX's doors, as they're reportedly pretty small.

Thanks all, and sorry for the numerous questions, but I have no idea where else to look as Rainbow's site is almost entirely worthless.

1) see my sig; i'm running an eclipse 3422. If i had my way of things i'd be going with a zapco though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

2) The default crossover point is 2.2khz, adjustable on the passive's to 2.6khz. There's a graph in the germanium manual showing tweeter response curves for both crossover points, i'll take a picture of it for you tonight. You can see the crossover points for the system and for the tweet, along with the response figures (roughly) on rainbow-audio.de - this is the page for the germanium line information

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/technical.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=17

3)Mounting depth is listed on rainbow-audio.de; not familiar with the tl or tsx.

^^^ Thanks Headless

1) Funny... I've been out of the game for more than a few years, but I've never even heard of Zapco. In my day (5 years ago), Xtant was a great company that seems to have gone the way of the Dodo. Is Zapco now the amp leader, or just something that everyone on here seems to love?

2) Should have been more specific. What is the LOW point on the crossover? I see now that the tweeter handles down to 1k, but I'd like to know what you could realistically send to it.

3) Yeah, I've looked more into this, and it looks alright.

^^^ Thanks Headless
1) Funny... I've been out of the game for more than a few years, but I've never even heard of Zapco. In my day (5 years ago), Xtant was a great company that seems to have gone the way of the Dodo. Is Zapco now the amp leader, or just something that everyone on here seems to love?

2) Should have been more specific. What is the LOW point on the crossover? I see now that the tweeter handles down to 1k, but I'd like to know what you could realistically send to it.

3) Yeah, I've looked more into this, and it looks alright.
No problem man

1) Zapco isn't the de facto leader or anything; it was just a name i threw out. I wouldn't mine having an ARC amp, or a USAmps amp...or a memphis audio amp...there is a long list of good clean amplifiers.

2)The low crossover point - high pass x-over for the woofers, you mean? Mine is currently set @ 80hz/18db and eq'd slightly up @ 80hz + 100hz (in the last week), and they don't distort at all.

No problem man
1) Zapco isn't the de facto leader or anything; it was just a name i threw out. I wouldn't mine having an ARC amp, or a USAmps amp...or a memphis audio amp...there is a long list of good clean amplifiers.

2)The low crossover point - high pass x-over for the woofers, you mean? Mine is currently set @ 80hz/18db and eq'd slightly up @ 80hz + 100hz (in the last week), and they don't distort at all.
1) Thanks. I was kind of curious which amps are best bang for the buck, but that's another thread...

2) No, what I mean is, can I adjust the crossover point between the tweeter and the midrange? If so, what are the limits?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.