Proper order when upgrading audio system?

I just recently purchased a 2015 Subaru Outback and will be upgrading all of my audio gear. I wanted to ask what should be my purchase order and what to look for? I know I will be adding:

-a new head unit (pioneer avh-4100nex?)

-component speakers up front

-amp or amps (1 for speakers and 1 for sub or 5 channel for both?)

-subwoofer (looking at 12" soundqubed or sundown?)

Thanks,

I'm open to suggestions or if anyone wants to pitch in and help me pick some stuff out!

your order is fine but you won't see a huge improvement with new speakers until you add an amplifier. head units (factory or aftermarket) have very limited power and lots of distortion. if your factory system lacks tweeters, a component set can be an improvement simply due to the improved high frequency response.

note that speaker installation is vital to success. the factory speakers are well sealed to the door panel and provide an optimal seal. you cannot buy adapters that recreate that seal - it is up to you to implement it yourself. you can buy mounting adapters but you'll need to add foam weatherstripping around the front of the speaker to seal against the door panel.

It's always about the money ! ! ! How much will be "really" available for this project? It is not going to be cheap if you want good quality, not the best but good.

Everything begins with the brain...I'll suggest what I would start with and you decide if it works for you.

Head unit...The Pioneer you mention is a very nice unit and is a great start.

Are you doing it all at once or piece meal??? If piece meal I go with the speakers...the Pioneer will provide "enough" power for a good pair of components in the front doors.

Next would be the amp...it will give such an improved sound stage over the Pioneer that it is a very good purchase...buy the best quality you can afford...don't cheap out with a low cost "high" power amp as you "always" get what you pay for.

You can add the sub...again if your going to buy as nice a head unit as the Pioneer is make sure you budget for a sub that will complement the head unit and amp...just because it is big and ***** a lot of wattage doesn't mean it is a great sub.

If all at once...buy it all and be done with it...while the interior is open you may as well do it all.

I'd go with one 4 channel amp bridging the rear channel for the sub...make sure you have enough room for the sub/box in the car and are "willing" to permanently give up all that space for a sub.

Don't forget to add in the cost of the necessary bits and pieces to connect it all and make it work with the car...wiring kits, especially for steering wheel controls, amp wiring kit, fascia to replace the factory unit for the aftermarket unit.

Good luck and keep us informed.

I'm going to be buying everything separately (as funds allow and when good deals come up) and when I have everything in hand do the install at once. I plan on buying at least one amp but my question is if I should go with two, one 2 channel for components and a mono for sub or stick with a 4 channel.

I think I'll go with a more affordable head unit, put the extra money elsewhere in the system.

Budget I'm thinking, I'd like to keep it under $1500

approximate costs

Head unit $350

Component speakers $300

Amp $350

sub $300...I'll build my own box

parts not really worried about $ there those are necessary

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to be buying everything separately (as funds allow and when good deals come up) and when I have everything in hand do the install at once. I plan on buying at least one amp but my question is if I should go with two, one 2 channel for components and a mono for sub or stick with a 4 channel unless you go 2 ohm and, the amp can handle it.
I think I'll go with a more affordable head unit, put the extra money elsewhere in the system.

Budget I'm thinking, I'd like to keep it under $1500

approximate costs

Head unit $350

Component speakers $300

Amp $350

sub $300...I'll build my own box

parts not really worried about $ there those are necessary
If your just running a front stage with 2 way passive x overs, a 4 channel amp would be fine..2 channels to the front and bridge the rear for a sub...your just limited to sub RMS power with most 4 channel amps.

If you want to run an active x over (which is far superior sound quality and tuning wise), a single 4 channel would power the front 2 way stage and you would need either a mono amp or a another 2 channel bridged for a sub. I would go with an A/B class 4 channel for the front stage and a class D for the sub.

I dont see anything set aside for quality amp install kits and an alternator..your looking at $350 at least or more for all that..What about car prep so that nice equipment you just spent your hard earned money on doesnt sound like crap..Figure a couple hundred more there as well.

You may want to consider spending less on equipment if you plan to have a good sounding system in your $1500 range.

If your just running a front stage with 2 way passive x overs, a 4 channel amp would be fine..2 channels to the front and bridge the rear for a sub...your just limited to sub RMS power with most 4 channel amps.
If you want to run an active x over (which is far superior sound quality and tuning wise), a single 4 channel would power the front 2 way stage and you would need either a mono amp or a another 2 channel bridged for a sub. I would go with an A/B class 4 channel for the front stage and a class D for the sub.

I dont see anything set aside for quality amp install kits and an alternator..your looking at $350 at least or more for all that..What about car prep so that nice equipment you just spent your hard earned money on doesnt sound like crap..Figure a couple hundred more there as well.

You may want to consider spending less on equipment if you plan to have a good sounding system in your $1500 range.
Cool thanks, this is a fact finding mission at the moment. Since I'm going for a bit of SQ I'm increasing budget as per usual, haha. Its ok thats why we work. I'm moving more towards separate woofers and tweeters on a 4 channel amp and a mono for the subwoofer.

Can I use the HU, Pioneer AVH-x4700bs, and set the active crossover for the front stage there? So signal would go HU-> front stage amp->Woofers (2 channels) & Tweeters (2 channels)?

As long as the high pass and low pass filters are adjustable and not just a pre set like a passive x over would be, i dont see why not. All you would need are the amps in that case instead of a separate active 3 way....that HU seems to have alot of built in tuning features..i like the 13 band eq..when you get the x over points right ,that eq should be nice to fine tune it with. I dont see anything that says if the filters are adjustable (active)or not so, i would try to find out more about that.

If you arent opposed to a single din i would get the Pioneer DEH-80PRS...that has a built in 3 way active cross over built in and 13bd eq...Thats an insane radio for the price..its one model under pioneers flagship model thats $1200.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.