Proper Door Sound Deadening and You

Would applying Dynamat, Peel & Seal, >, decrease the resale of any car drastically or at all?

Peel & Seal is NOT sound deadener.And if I knew that was placed in a vehicle I wouldn't buy it or I'd give a lot less for it.When it melts it will ruin the carpet.

Finished making some new MDF baffles for my 6.5's and im quite impressed with myself they look pro. Bought some non hardening clay today from the craft store. I installed one of the baffles without the clay and i already notice a difference. Ill install the other baffle and the clay once my raamat dampening arrives. God **** im hooked on this car audio stuff now hehe. Its fun as hell.

Here are some of the stuff I've found and used:

1. Acoustical Foam from Parts Express

260-515m.jpg

or

As an alternative, Dynamat Dynaxorb from CarDomain or other sites (search Froogle)

l_11800.gif

2. Scotchguard UltraRepellent with Mildew Block for acoustical foam can be found at any sporting goods section of Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, etc.

4700126.JPG

3. Van Aken Plastalina non-hardening modeling clay found at any local art store.

plastalina.jpg

A quick overview before i completely deaded the doors.

- I deaden the outer door panel correct?

- To cover the larger holes of the inner door panel, i use pexiglass? How do i mount it? Screw holes into the metal door panel and mount? Wont pexiglass resonant?

I read the review of Dynaxorb on Cardomain from a user and he said it was pointless. Is this somewhat remotely true? Would deflex pads be better or worse?

Yes, deaden the outer door panel. Then deaden the inner metal skin of the door -- on both sides (the one facing the outer door panel and the one facing the towards inside the car's cabin.

I personally don't use plexiglass but others do. They mount it to the inner door skin panel via stainless screws. I don't personally know if the plexi will resonate but others here can comment.

Dynaxorb and Deflex are in the same category so their usefulness is subjective. However, "ndpang" in the DIYMA forum noted that acoustical foam seemed to be better vs. Deflex during his subjective listening tess. I do know a lot of home audio/theater speaker manufacturers use acoustical foam in their cabinets and have emperical data showing such improvements. Plus they are vastly less expensive vs. Dynaxorb/Deflex. I personally use acoustical foam in my setup.

- To cover the larger holes of the inner door panel, i use pexiglass? How do i mount it? Screw holes into the metal door panel and mount? Wont pexiglass resonant?
You don't have to use plexi. You could cover the holes with a few layers of sound deadening, or with some spare MDF, etc.

You can mount the plexi using simply liquid nails/other sealers to hold it in place.

I read the review of Dynaxorb on Cardomain from a user and he said it was pointless. Is this somewhat remotely true? Would deflex pads be better or worse?
It's purpose, looking at it...appears to be to function the same as a deflex pad. Whether or not the user noticed a difference really depends on some different variables. Proper installation (putting it in the right place), whether or not they actually know what to listen for, etc. You really have no idea what changes they "expected" to hear. So, I would take those reviews with a grain of salt.

I haven't personally used Dynaxorb, so I can't tell you if it's good/better/worse. But I wouldn't rely too heavily on the reviews from cardomain.

Thanks BodegaBay and Squeak.

The thing about the acoustical foam is that im worried the water will definietly make it grow mold or perhaps make it stink overtime. I saw the Ultraguard Scotch, but just how long would it last? Squeak are u using a deflex pad?

Thanks BodegaBay and Squeak.
The thing about the acoustical foam is that im worried the water will definietly make it grow mold or perhaps make it stink overtime. I saw the Ultraguard Scotch, but just how long would it last?
About anything you do to the foam to make it waterproof will also make the foam less effective.

Deflex pads are a better option if you are worried about moisture.

Squeak are u using a deflex pad?
No. But that's because my install is presently half-assed and unfinished //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

What the hell do i use to remove the door oil grease thing that is stuck on my doors? I tried soap with water, and a heavy duty grease remover and it still wont come off. Any ideas? Its the yellow crap that holds the plastic in.

IMG_39551.jpg

What the hell do i use to remove the door oil grease thing that is stuck on my doors? I tried soap with water, and a heavy duty grease remover and it still wont come off. Any ideas? Its the yellow crap that holds the plastic in.
IMG_39551.jpg
I guess I got lucky with my black goop. I used a puddy knife to kind of get it started and just kept working it up and off. I guess I would wait to get it wet or try chemicals as a last resort....that could get really messy.

To stop the back waves I used OverKill from SecondSkin and then glued a chunk of 100% waterproof camping pad that I got at Walmart. If you want some PM me and I'll just charge you the shipping for it. Click on the links in my sig for pics of my finished doors.

I guess I got lucky with my black goop. I used a puddy knife to kind of get it started and just kept working it up and off. I guess I would wait to get it wet or try chemicals as a last resort....that could get really messy.
To stop the back waves I used OverKill from SecondSkin and then glued a chunk of 100% waterproof camping pad that I got at Walmart. If you want some PM me and I'll just charge you the shipping for it. Click on the links in my sig for pics of my finished doors.
Your links dont work //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif they take me to microsoft //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Guy at Bestbuy said that they use oil removers at Autozone to remove that yellow crap... ill check it out.

So does pexiglass resonant? I was going to put dynomat over the pexiglass anyways if that matters.

Thanks

Your links dont work //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif they take me to microsoft //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
Guy at Bestbuy said that they use oil removers at Autozone to remove that yellow crap... ill check it out.

So does pexiglass resonant? I was going to put dynomat over the pexiglass anyways if that matters.

Thanks
Links should work now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Not sure if the plexi will resonate, but I don't think a layer of mat over it will hurt. Could also use a piece of thick cardboard and then hit it on both sides with some deadener. I've also head of guys using wire mesh. I just used some shrink wrap window sealer follwed by several layers of sheet rock repair tape...it formed a nice web for a few coats of sludge, dampener, overkill and then more deadener. No resonance and still undoable in case I need to get in the door for some reason.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.