Proper Door Sound Deadening and You

do i put it under the baffle as well? Should i just leave the interior of the door (where the window goes into) alone or should i put something in there as well? I have 8 12"x36" dynamat peices, and although im not sure, but it seems like a lot for 2 doors.

do i put it under the baffle as well? Should i just leave the interior of the door (where the window goes into) alone or should i put something in there as well? I have 8 12"x36" dynamat peices, and although im not sure, but it seems like a lot for 2 doors.
You'll see how little it really is.

Ok, well I'm about to start work on installing my speakers. Some questions:

1. There is a big-ass power-wire that runs through the kickpanel right by the speaker. Will this become a problem for me in any way other than a fitment problem?

2. My new 6.5" speaker obviously won't fit in the 5.25" spot. It's also too deep. So I will cut a hole in the plastic kick-cover, and then do the MDF+clay thing. How do i secure the speaker though? Screws through the MDF and into the metal of the kick?

Thats it for now. I'm sure I'll have more Q's later though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

...I went to an art supply store and got some clay the has a melting point of 150. I think it's called Roma Prima. It looks like a stick of butter except that it weighs a pound. I got that kind because there are four different levels of firmness. The highest level is really tough but never hardens. Heat it up in the microwave for about 3 minutes or until it is workable and go to town...The clay is called Roma Plastina.
Roma Plastilina can be found here. This oil based non-hardening sculpting clay is available in four consistencies:

#1 - Soft

#2 - Medium

#3 - Medium Firm

#4 - Very hard

567a6f416a6e45594e62376b764f4c5077-140x119.jpg

MC2.jpg

If a shallow, short, sealed box the length of the door yields proper volume for midwoofer (Extremis) can be hung on outside of door, is this better than using inside of door with previous steps mentioned taken? Box shape seems undesirable for good sound, but would perfect seal make up for shortcomings of other choices?

what does putting the mdf ring around the speaker do besides raising it up

What do i cover the holes up with if i cant afford deadener right now

when i do deaden my doors what are all the surfaces i put it on

Ok, I'm about to do some sound deadening. I'm still a little confused on where all to put it, 1. I asume I put it on the outer layer of the inside sheet metal right, this would be the first metal if you start on the inside of the car (where you mount the speaker, and the only part you can see in all of these pics) , 2. then on the other side of this same piece of metal. 3. then do you put it on the 3rd available metal layer starting from the inside of the car? this would be on the other side of the window, the last available metal layer. 4. How about on the plastic door cover?

And as far as the rear/ sub goes I'm doing the hatch, would it help if I did the box also?

what does putting the mdf ring around the speaker do besides raising it up
mdf rings besides giving you a little bit more depth. will give your speaker something really solid to mount to. the stockish plastic rings/baffles resonates and are not an ideal speaker mount. adding mdf rings will give you better midbass response if they are installed correctly.

on where to apply the deadener. play some music with good drum dynamics or bass guitar and turn it up a to around where you normally listen and get outside of your car and feel around the door skin. you can feel where you need to apply it by feeling it resonate. Do the back of the door skin,the panel that the speaker is mounted to,and the back of the panel that the speaker is mounted to. cover up any holes in the doors. i personally deaden the doors as much as i can with out effecting the fitting of the actual door panels.

plexiglass is good idea. If you want something selfadhesive you could get some Sintra. It is foamed PVC but very dense.

Also something better than eggcrate directly behind the speakers would be Orca Black Hole 5. Be prepared to pay tho.

Clay is good but if you are getting good SPL in the door it wil blow loose. Use silicone and you will get better sealing.

Also when using silicone let it totally cure (48 hours is what I do). It will eat your speaker surrounds.

Hmmm i want to try that foam behind the speaker but i dont think i can. When i roll down the window all the way the glass is right behind my 6.5 with about 1/2 inch space between it and the speaker and another 1/2 inch between the glass and the exterior metal of the door. Any ideas?? Its a manual window too in a GMC sierra.

If you use good adhesive and the foam is so thick, it will just compress as the windows roll down. Most car front windows have the glass exposed to the speaker opening just as yours.

ok im looking into getting either the second skin dampening mat or the raamatt i think 40 square feet of second skin would be enough to do two truck doors. Then ill prob just get that $20 foam seeing as egg carton would not compess so well when the windows rolled down. THanks for the help. Im all bored on my days off now that my speaker system is installed so this will be a nice little project for me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.