Prepping for sound deadening

That's the factory damping, leave it there. Depending on how much material you have, If it's scarce, then dampen around it, then fill in those areas with extra if you have covered other, non treated areas.. If you have plenty, then cover it all!

I use simple green to clean the surface. That will get rid of all the grease and grime. It also doesn't leave any bad film behind and it won't eat your skin. I will then use a heat gun to dry it all up. It's best to heat the surface anyway. The mat will lay easier.

Uhhh, soap is soap, leaves a bit of residue - thus denatured is best., I put the damping sheets in the oven on warm, get them good and pliable so they apply lot warm butter!

Uhhh, soap is soap, leaves a bit of residue - thus denatured is best., I put the damping sheets in the oven on warm, get them good and pliable so they apply lot warm butter!
Simple green is not a soapy type cleaner. It's a degreaser. This is why mechanics use it to clean their tools, engines, etc... You can wipe it off. Give it a try. It's pretty good stuff.

Simple green is not a soapy type cleaner. It's a degreaser. This is why mechanics use it to clean their tools, engines, etc... You can wipe it off. Give it a try. It's pretty good stuff.
Oh yeah, that stuff. it's good too. Neighbors a painter so i just, eh hem, borrow a quart or two in trade for audio help... ;)

Simple Green will work great. a little bit of dawn in some warm water and a rag will work fine to get all the grease up and dirt. wipe with clean cloth will do. If you have 91% or even a bottle or two of lower % of alcohol like 75% will do great too before laying your deadener. I like to cut small manageable sheets(1'-0 x1-0" and work with that so you are able to roll it easier and mold it to the area/areas. To make sure it sticks and stays, Use a Heat gun and hit the piece laid for about 10 seconds on med to low and roll lightly /not heavy and do another area. It will stick really well and you will never have to worry about it trying to peel up in the future. You will, need a sharp putty knife and a dammned good hammer and a lot of patience to get it off in the future. Cont #2

#2-
Do Not put any over the areas such as your fuel Pump or any access for vehicle maintenance areas, such as Window regulators door mechanisms ect. Leave those uncovered and deal with later. Its best to have s few sheets of 1/8" or 1/4" 1ftx 1ft sheets of ABS plastic to use to cover those areas and screw on the outside perimeter and place deadner on top of that to match the rest of the deadner to look as a solid covering for appeal. you can use silicone/Caulking to seal up around the ABS to use a box blade to cut and access those areas later. these are the techniques Ive learned on my own over the years from making several mistakes that cost me time and money and frustration. ABS sheets of Black 1'x1' are what I like to use up to 3/8" thick can be found on ebay fairly reasonably priced by searching. I would encourage you to purchase some before getting started.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...