Sound cutting out

Participant count
  • Participant list

Krumy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Florida
Hey yall. So on my drive home today my system started cutting out and it got to the point that only my sub was putting out anything. I played around with my radio and realized I can make it happen when I focus my audio to my front left speaker. Nothing comes out and if the front left speaker is taking any load it will start cutting out. I’m assuming the front left speaker is blown and this is causing it to draw too much sending the amp into protection. Would this be a correct assumption? The speakers are not rated to the max the amp can put out, I had a feeling it would happen at some point but I tuned the amp down so it wouldn’t put out full power to them. Am I in the market for new speakers? If so, has anybody had good experience with nvx 6.5” speakers? I see sonic has them for 100 a pair right now. Thanks, and any help is appreciated

Kenwood excelon head unit, 4 channel bcc amp for the speakers and nvx monoblock for a 10” sub.

I've used all of NVX speakers, extensively. If you're in the market, i've got a BNIB pair of their top of the line X-Series comps, $125 shipped (left over from a build where we decided to go with X series coaxials instead).

Now, even if you get there VS series, or my X series (there best by far) you should hold up on any speakers until you've isolated the issue.

Sounds more like connection issues. You need to isolate the system issues before you go and install new speakers. What is the amplifier?
What are the speakers?
How is all of it hooked up to the HU?

I would start by getting any ol speaker you have laying around, pull the speaker leads off the amp and use a single lead from each output, one at a time to see if it is the speakers, the connections to the speakers or possible the Hu or the amp.

Last edited:
I've used all of NVX speakers, extensively. If you're in the market, i've got a BNIB pair of their top of the line X-Series comps, $125 shipped (left over from a build where we decided to go with X series coaxials instead).

Now, even if you get there VS series, or my X series (there best by far) you should hold up on any speakers until you've isolated the issue.

Sounds more like connection issues. You need to isolate the system issues before you go and install new speakers. What is the amplifier?
What are the speakers?
How is all of it hooked up to the HU?

I would start by getting any ol speaker you have laying around, pull the speaker leads off the amp and use a single lead from each output, one at a time to see if it is the speakers, the connections to the speakers or possible the Hu or the amp.
The speaker amp is the vadm4 from nvx. The speakers are 6.5” Sony speakers that I think are only rated for 50w rms. Headunit has rc cables going to both the 4 channel and mono block. I have a fused distribution block from the battery positive splitting the power cable to each amp and a solid ground block. Then the speakers all have new 16 gauge I believe running to each of them from the amp output. I’ve had the speakers for probably 7 years now but the rest of the system was redone within the last year

Okay, well, sounds like you are ready for new ones anyway. As for the NVX line, unless you really want to just save money, don;t get the N series. THey are decent enough for what they do but the .75" tweeters on them are, well, cheap. The "VS" and "X" series are worth getting. THe "X" series is far and away the better of the three and I'm not just saying that because I have a set of both the coaxials and the comps to sell. The tweeter is just far better and and the crossovers are better too.

There is aguy on ebay selling Pioneer Z"Z series comps for $99 too, and thatis for the usually riced $199-$249 comps. Picking up thecoaxils is where you get hit- oh wait, Ihave a set of those too! Lol. I actually do, with upgraded ply cpas on the coaxials, I'm keeping the comps that I too purchased for $99.

the Pio's a great deal for sure, if you like metal domes, and the Pio's are pretty smooth, extended highs as well.

Okay, well, sounds like you are ready for new ones anyway. As for the NVX line, unless you really want to just save money, don;t get the N series. THey are decent enough for what they do but the .75" tweeters on them are, well, cheap. The "VS" and "X" series are worth getting. THe "X" series is far and away the better of the three and I'm not just saying that because I have a set of both the coaxials and the comps to sell. The tweeter is just far better and and the crossovers are better too.

There is aguy on ebay selling Pioneer Z"Z series comps for $99 too, and thatis for the usually riced $199-$249 comps. Picking up thecoaxils is where you get hit- oh wait, Ihave a set of those too! Lol. I actually do, with upgraded ply cpas on the coaxials, I'm keeping the comps that I too purchased for $99.

the Pio's a great deal for sure, if you like metal domes, and the Pio's are pretty smooth, extended highs as well.
I’m probably sticking with the coaxial route for now. If I went with comps I’d have to 3d print housings for my a pillar and I’m out of town right now so I don’t have access to my printer. I’ll definitely keep that in mind as far as the series go with nvx. Their amps have treated me very well and so have their cables so I expected nothing less of their speakers. I really appreciate the help, I’ll have to do a little shopping and troubleshooting after work tomorrow

I’m probably sticking with the coaxial route for now. If I went with comps I’d have to 3d print housings for my a pillar and I’m out of town right now so I don’t have access to my printer. I’ll definitely keep that in mind as far as the series go with nvx. Their amps have treated me very well and so have their cables so I expected nothing less of their speakers. I really appreciate the help, I’ll have to do a little shopping and troubleshooting after work tomorrow
It's all good. Check out the Recoil line of coaxials too, budget friendly and pretty decent as well.

75$

CDT

$135

It's all good. Check out the Recoil line of coaxials too, budget friendly and pretty decent as well.

75$

CDT

$135

Also since you seem like you’ve got a good finger on the pulse of what doesn’t **** lol, have you had any experience with the shallow mount series from nvx? I’ve got a pioneer shallow mount 10 currently in a custom sealed box, but it leaves a little to be desired as far as thump goes. Was wondering about the nvx shallow series. The only other option I’ve looked at for replacing the sub is the JL shallow mounts but they carry a pretty solid price tag

The older Shallow mounts from pioneer were so-so but decent enough. The new one is not much different, except for the "Z" series, they sound quite good. It's a 10" but actually it's closer to an 11 inch. I think pioneer did that as a way not to have to make their flagship woofers in multiple sizes. They sound really good in smaller ported around .8 to1 cu ft. tuned to around 40 hz. It's low end is surprising, tight,not boomy but not exceedingly low, Cabin gain should net you a bit down to the upper 30's which is actually what most people like.

From Crustfield returns on ebay - Pioneer TS-Z10LS2 $212

Have not used the shallows from NVX. Not sure if that is going to provide you with an Ah-ha, dang upgrade though. Migh, but it is tempting at $90 on sale for the 12"

Better to know what you're working with. What amp are you feeding the subwoofer with and how big is the box?

The older Shallow mounts from pioneer were so-so but decent enough. The new one is not much different, except for the "Z" series, they sound quite good. It's a 10" but actually it's closer to an 11 inch. I think pioneer did that as a way not to have to make their flagship woofers in multiple sizes. They sound really good in smaller ported around .8 to1 cu ft. tuned to around 40 hz. It's low end is surprising, tight,not boomy but not exceedingly low, Cabin gain should net you a bit down to the upper 30's which is actually what most people like.

From Crustfield returns on ebay - Pioneer TS-Z10LS2 $212

Have not used the shallows from NVX. Not sure if that is going to provide you with an Ah-ha, dang upgrade though. Migh, but it is tempting at $90 on sale for the 12"

Better to know what you're working with. What amp are you feeding the subwoofer with and how big is the box?
It is very tempting at 90 dollars lol. The amp is the nvx mvpa1, bit of an older model but only issue ive ever had with it was had a fuse blow once. The box is a custom sealed box from a company called subthump. The nice thing about the nvx over the pioneer i currently have is that the nvx is a dual coil so I could run it at 2ohm to push more power to it over the 4ohm pioneer i have.

It is very tempting at 90 dollars lol. The amp is the nvx mvpa1, bit of an older model but only issue ive ever had with it was had a fuse blow once. The box is a custom sealed box from a company called subthump. The nice thing about the nvx over the pioneer i currently have is that the nvx is a dual coil so I could run it at 2ohm to push more power to it over the 4ohm pioneer i have.

True. The new pio Z's are 2 ohms too. Keep in mind that doubling the power will only net you 3db increase in output. Both the NVX and the Pioneer are 88db so that 3db is all you can hope to obtain and that is only if you double the power by going to a 2 ohm load. It looks like all you gain is a 504% increase going to 2 ohms n that amp. That means you may get as much as a 1.5 db bump, or about a 8% bump in volume, not worth the expense. I didn't find that actual amp, what is the model again?

Last edited:
True. The new pio Z's are 2 ohms too. Keep in mind that doubling the power will only net you 3db increase in output. Both the NVX and the Pioneer are 88db so that 3db is all you can hope to obtain and that is only if you double the power by going to a 2 ohm load.
It is strange because I liked how the sub hit before I redid my system. I thought the lower output was from my new head unit having 2v pre outs instead of 5v like my previous sony I had. So i decided to go with a kenwood with 5v preouts and it still doesnt get to quite the same level it used to. Not sure if the sub is just finally on its way out or what it is. The only difference from before to now is that the power cable runs through a fused distro now and the head unit is different, but the preout voltage is the same between the older sony and the newer kenwood. Very confusing for somebody thats not super experienced in this sort of realm.

True. The new pio Z's are 2 ohms too. Keep in mind that doubling the power will only net you 3db increase in output. Both the NVX and the Pioneer are 88db so that 3db is all you can hope to obtain and that is only if you double the power by going to a 2 ohm load. It looks like all you gain is a 504% increase going to 2 ohms n that amp. That means you may get as much as a 1.5 db bump, or about a 8% bump in volume, not worth the expense. I didn't find that actual amp, what is the model again?
the model is a mvpa1

You'll see very little difference moving from 200 to 300 watts, about 2 - 3 db. Looking at the "Z" series subs, they are only 74 db, not very efficient at all and half as loud as the one you have, not a good option. Unless you move to a 600-1000 watt amp and put in a different sub, I'd stick with what you have.

$10 bucks more and one of these should work in that enclosure with very little trim out?

Or maybe one of these here. take a little more power, and cost a bit more and should drop right in that enclosure if you havent cut a larger hole.

i havent tried either one of these subs yet, but I have been looking at them closely to try out. just a suggestion for the space /enclosure you have. Now i have had a pair of the A,Bass ES Series 1044 on one my PPi Phantom 1000.1D and they did really nice in my nephews double cab 16 GMC truck.

You'll see very little difference moving from 200 to 300 watts, about 2 - 3 db. Looking at the "Z" series subs, they are only 74 db, not very efficient at all and half as loud as the one you have, not a good option. Unless you move to a 600-1000 watt amp and put in a different sub, I'd stick with what you have.
Sounds good to me, I really appreciate all the help with this

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...