possible to fix short circuit on headunit? please help

Participant count
  • Participant list

VoTran24
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Bay Area
Today I installed my kenwood excelon headunit onto my other car. At first i got everything together fine. It played cd's and everything fine. When i stuffed the wires back to fit the cd player in, the power wire (I think) from the headunit got pulled too hard and it came lose and then one end of the wire fell and touch the metal of the headunit. Right after it touched the metal part i heard a little shock and then the head unit turned off. After that the head unit didnt turn back on anymore. I'm assuming that this is called a "short circuit." is it possible to fix a short? I thought that if a short happened it would have just blown the fuse on the HU or somethin but when i checked the HU, the fuse was fine. Can anyone help me? thanks

thats wierd, that happened to me b4, and the fuse in the power wire got blown. ur case is wierd, but it can be fixed, no worries
so you just replaced your fuse

Another weird part is that even if the head unit isnt working, my amp should still be able to turn on (i think) when the remote wire is touching it. But my amp still doesnt turn on. so i am guessin it might be somethin wrong with that wire, but it doesnt seem like it should. thanks for the reply though.

np, yeah i just replaced the fuse, but one time i blowed that hole thing until it smelled like burned plastic, i changed the fuse n nothin happened also , so i gave it to a prof. and i left it with him , after an hour i came back it was runnin smoothly, but he said he opened it from the inside , n used desolderin , n solderin and hooked up stuff that i cant remember, that was b4 two years, i blowed up that HU 5 times in a row, that was my first install. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

and ur amp wont be able to work if ur remote wire is connected to the HU and not the ignition, then the HU should be on so that the amp turn on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

wish u good luck any ways ,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the fuse box under the hood and found the blown fuse. I replaced it and now my system is workin again. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.