Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Option 3: HU to DC no rears

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

gckless
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
San Antonio
Looking for ideas for my next build. I currently have an 80PRS, a DC 175.4, and CDT HD-62CF comps for front and Polk dB651's for rear. I have three choices for running active with rear speakers (which I want, unless it proves more of a headache than they are worth):

1. Run crossovers at HU to the DC 175.4, with each channel of the DC in full range. Rear speakers will have to be ran off the HU's amp (ok, I have only heard you can do this, don't know if it actually can be done, or how to do it). This option costs nothing.

2. Trade the DC in for a Zed Leviathan. HU will be ran full range, all crossovers will be on amp. RCA's for mids will each have a Y-adapter, so they will go to channels 3-6 on the Levi. Channels 1-2 will be HPF for front tweets, channels 3-4 will be bandpass for front mids, channels 5-6 will be HPF for the rears. This will cost an extra $400.

3. Screw the rears, just run crossovers on HU to the DC. This also costs nothing.

Opinions? I'd like to not spend the extra right now, but give me pros, cons, and your opinion regardless.

Looking for ideas for my next build. I currently have an 80PRS, a DC 175.4, and CDT HD-62CF comps for front and Polk dB651's for rear. I have three choices for running active with rear speakers (which I want, unless it proves more of a headache than they are worth):
1. Run crossovers at HU to the DC 175.4, with each channel of the DC in full range. Rear speakers will have to be ran off the HU's amp (ok, I have only heard you can do this, don't know if it actually can be done, or how to do it). This option costs nothing.

2. Trade the DC in for a Zed Leviathan. HU will be ran full range, all crossovers will be on amp. RCA's for mids will each have a Y-adapter, so they will go to channels 3-6 on the Levi. Channels 1-2 will be HPF for front tweets, channels 3-4 will be bandpass for front mids, channels 5-6 will be HPF for the rears. This will cost an extra $400.

3. Screw the rears, just run crossovers on HU to the DC. This also costs nothing.

Opinions? I'd like to not spend the extra right now, but give me pros, cons, and your opinion regardless.
The answer for me is option 2. A mini digi would be a nice add on for later.

1. You can probably do that with the 80prs. But you wouldnt be able to hear your rear speakers over your front stage.

2. You will be able to hear all your speakers. Time alingment on the rear stage will be off. And you won't be able to run the autotune from the 80prs while the rear speakers are connected. (Disconnect them to preform the autotune, and set gains to balance the output levels on channels 5,6) The Zed is a better amp than the DC anyways. Personally I like a rear field, bandpassed from 8k to 60 hz. That's why you may want a mini digi later on so you can time align them.

For the time being I would run the ZED full pass and use the decks crossovers. 1-2 tweets 3-4 you door speakers 5-6 rear speakers. I believe the ZED gives you the option to share the rca channels from 3-4 to 5-6 so you dont need a y connector. Your front stage will be time aligned but your rear stage will not be. Just cross the mid channels as high as you can...

3. Most sane people will chose option #3 because they don't like a rear field. I am all about experimenting. Also you can have the zed on hand if you ever want to have a three way active front which is absolute ear sex.

Why do you want to run rears so bad? I say forget 'em
Passengers. But in the end, well, fuck them, I'll do what's best for the driver's seat.

1. You can probably do that with the 80prs. But you wouldnt be able to hear your rear speakers over your front stage.

2. You will be able to hear all your speakers. Time alingment on the rear stage will be off. And you won't be able to run the autotune from the 80prs while the rear speakers are connected. (Disconnect them to preform the autotune, and set gains to balance the output levels on channels 5,6) The Zed is a better amp than the DC anyways. Personally I like a rear field, bandpassed from 8k to 60 hz. That's why you may want a mini digi later on so you can time align them.

For the time being I would run the ZED full pass and use the decks crossovers. 1-2 tweets 3-4 you door speakers 5-6 rear speakers. I believe the ZED gives you the option to share the rca channels from 3-4 to 5-6 so you dont need a y connector. Your front stage will be time aligned but your rear stage will not be. Just cross the mid channels as high as you can...

3. Most sane people will chose option #3 because they don't like a rear field. I am all about experimenting. Also you can have the zed on hand if you ever want to have a three way active front which is absolute ear sex.
I see what you're saying, good points. The Polk's are fairly sensitive, they'll be decently loud, so option 1 actually might be a decent way to go, provided I can figure out how to do it.

For what you were saying about option 2, the main reason I want to go active is so that I can play around as muc as possible. If I have to set my crossover points with my rears in mind, that will limit what I can do and effectively have rears. I think at that point, especially if I find that low crossover points are better, I may as well not even run rears. Although, if the Zed can share inputs across channels 3-4 and 5-6, I could run the HU in full pass, and cross both 3-4 and 5-6 differently. My levels will be have to be set with gain, which I don't particularly like doing, but will work.

My rear field will be for passengers. I do actually like a tiny bit of fill though. The lack of rears just sounds.....off. Or maybe I haven't heard a proper front stage?

The more I think about it, the more I am fine with giving up rears.

I should add that while the Levi is absolutely amazing and I want it super bad, I'm trying to completely set up a new vehicle, with basically an all new large sub stage and electrical. I don't exactly have cash to just throw around //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Unless I could work out some kind of deal with Vertex. Layaway FTW. That Zed would be worth it.

I should add that while the Levi is absolutely amazing and I want it super bad, I'm trying to completely set up a new vehicle, with basically an all new large sub stage and electrical. I don't exactly have cash to just throw around //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Unless I could work out some kind of deal with Vertex. Layaway FTW. That Zed would be worth it.
Buy the dam Zed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif You'll love it.

I just looked you can blend channels 1-4 to 5-6 with a LPF... pretty nice amp lol.

I love my front stage right now, and its easy to live without a rear field. I am going with a rear field in the 300c b.c the wife doesn't want subs :/ and the ps8 she's getting has 8 outputs... Dam it I am GOING to use all 8 active channels one way or another!

Bit"ch is getting a 3 way active front with rear fill and liking it.

Buy the dam Zed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif You'll love it.
I just looked you can blend channels 1-4 to 5-6 with a LPF... pretty nice amp lol.

I love my front stage right now, and its easy to live without a rear field. I am going with a rear field in the 300c b.c the wife doesn't want subs :/ and the ps8 she's getting has 8 outputs... Dam it I am GOING to use all 8 active channels one way or another!
Sounds like you should do a rear deck IB build with a couple 10" woofers.

Bit"ch is getting a 3 way active front with rear fill and liking it.
Trust me man, I drool over that thing. I want to pick it up if at all possible. But seeing as I already have decent front stage equipment, it would be an upgrade. It's going to come after my sub stage is funded. A pair of Z's, another 2.0k to strap, some big batts, 100ft of wire.....not going to be cheap.

Trust me man, I drool over that thing. I want to pick it up if at all possible. But seeing as I already have decent front stage equipment, it would be an upgrade. It's going to come after my sub stage is funded. A pair of Z's, another 2.0k to strap, some big batts, 100ft of wire.....not going to be cheap.
I hear you... Doing the 300 right is costing some monies... eventhough I bought ANT's cheap as's wire onsale.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...