Plans for my new system

rynecampbell18

Ok so my birthday is coming up and i've decided to ask for an upgrade from my current system. My current system is pretty basic, just a diamond d315 2 ohm sub in a ported box(not even sure what the specs on it are lol) powered by a kenwood 8104d mono amp wired to 2 ohms. So it's pushing around 500 rms and sounds pretty good but it's not loud enough for me. I want your opinion on this small idea i had for my new system. I'm planning on upgrading my 8104d to 2 kenwood 9104d which put out about 900 rms at 2 ohms, I'll have those two amps powering some apline type x's in a ported box rated to the recommended specs of course. The next part is the part i'm not so sure about because i'm still pretty new to car audio. This setup is obviously going to be drawing a lot of power from my battery and to solve this problem i was thinking about getting a 2 farad cap, but i'm not too clear on if that will solve the power problem. My car has a stock battery that is pretty weak as well as a stock alternator. Btw the apline 10's im getting are rated at 1000wrms at 2 ohms. I figure the 900 rms amps might be a little underpowering to the type x's but i'm trying to be on a budget. I did some research on capacitors and found that .5 farads=500 rms so i figure like 2000 rms i need a 2 farad cap? I might even consider swapping the 10" aplines for 12" diamond d9's but it would hurt the budget a bit more. Again give me some feedback on what you think about the setup or alternatives that would cost me the same and be a better deal.

Bud if it were me i wouldn't even think about purchasing a cap (you can search here on ca.com/forum and find out why)... you're better interest would be looking into doing the Big 3 Wiring (can also be found by searching here) and a extra battery for the rear of your car close to your amp. These two things will not only improve the electrical capabilities of your vehicle but also put less stress on your alternator!

if i understand what you want to do

get 2 kenwood amps ( i do not like this idea )

get a cap ( again no )

but if you tell me how much your budget is

and a simple list of what you have now

and what type music you like

what type car

tell me what you got now

head unit

front stage

rear fill

amps

box

sub

wiring , battery , alt

Kenwood amps are a no-no.

Alpine type x's are decent woofers but they are power hogs.

Tell us what you have and your parent's budget (lol) and we can build something much nicer for cheaper.

i wish my parents would upgrade my system but they have no got me a gift for my birthday in 20 years

so i will live thru your parents

what is in that budget ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Well i plan on a budget of like 700 dollars

The car came with a crappy jvc headunit but it works ok for me so far.

The speakers in the car are just stock civic speakers as far as i know, i just bought the car in july.

The kenwood amp i have right now is pretty decent, it powers my diamond well and doesn't overheat too much. That's the reason i was choosing kenwood again because the amps seem decent and don't cost too much.

The sub's i want are the apline 10" type x's because i've heard good things about them, they don't cost too much for that they're rated for, and they don't take up as much space as my 15".

The alternator and battery are both stock.

The wiring of the sub is 2 ohms i guess.

I looked on crutchfield and wired the sub to my amp as suggested by the diagram.

Hope this is enough information

Well i'm trying to make it so my parent's are spending around like 350$ ea for the various parts of the setup. So my budget would be around 700 and i'm not planning on having "the best" system out there i just want something that's gonna get me clean and loud bass.

i would keep using your jvc radio for now

i would replace your under hood battery with the largest battery that your tray will accept made by, sheriken, or kinetic, or powermaster, or stinger , base the choice on largest your tray will accept keeping in your budget

I would put a set of PG RSD components up front as your front stage

run comps off head unit until you can get an amp

I would remove your rear speakers

i would do the big three in 0 awg

i would power your amp with 0 awg and ground as well

i would use a sundown 1000 on your sub

i would use sundown sa 12 in a ported enclosure at 35 hertz

i would have a custom enclosure built

$750 would get you started down that road

what ever you can get done birthday money wise you can finish with Christmas money

provided you installed everything

Or you could always keep this thread alive with questions on equipment and see what you could find in the classifieds and possibly get a really good deal on sweet equipment! I have always asked anyone on a budget to take their time and look for what they "want" rather than getting "just something" now and settling and not being happy with what they have

Ok so i'm probably going to work on my components later on once I can actually get a decent job and afford to make it better. For now, i just want some quality subs and a good powerful amp to power both subs or two decent amps that put out the power that matches the sub. I will upgrade my battery to one of those brands and i've never really seen any sundown stuff before but recently i've been seeing people use it and looks legit. I'll look into that sundown audio more, thanks.

Adding a battery close to the amps will and wont help the alt any both at the same time. The alt still has to charge everything that was originally there plus the 2nd battery, but it makes the electrical demand from the alt less by keeping the voltage higher, but still, the alt has to replace what was used.

My $.02, look at other amps and stay away from Kenwood amps. They're ok, but just that. In all test reports I've seen they fall short of their rated rms power and in thd and S/N. Not buy much and I know that 850 watts vs 900 watts you wont even hear the differences, but I think there's better out there for the same $$.

In the end it's all up to you, what you want, like and can afford and that's what matters.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.