Paint Matching 02 Tahoe Interior

Nice score on the inexpensive vinyl. Make sure you use good glue that will hold up to heat. Seeing you are from Atlanta I'm sure it gets quite warm there in the summer time.

I have used the 3M 77 adhesive before ,on a headliner in an old car that I had, that did not hold up to the heat, and I'm in Canada where it snows all year. lol

Good luck with the project and post up some pics of the finished product.

Nice score on the inexpensive vinyl. Make sure you use good glue that will hold up to heat. Seeing you are from Atlanta I'm sure it gets quite warm there in the summer time. I have used the 3M 77 adhesive before ,on a headliner in an old car that I had, that did not hold up to the heat, and I'm in Canada where it snows all year. lol

Good luck with the project and post up some pics of the finished product.
Will do. I found a thread on this forum discussing the best adhesive to use and went with Weldwood contact cement.

Unfortunately the fiberglass didn't stick to one of my pods well enough. I just pulled the entire fiberglass coat off with my hands. Obviously I'm gonna have to redo that one. The issue I think was that I didn't use enough hardener in the resin on the first layer, so it never completely dried. It still smelled like resin after several days of drying.

I also picked up some kitty hair...plan was to add a layer on the back of the fiberglass to add strength, but now I'm wondering if it would be better to just apply the stuff directly to the back of the ABS since it seems tricky to get resin to stick.

Thought it might be nice to give an update.

One of the pods needs to be completely re-done, as previously stated. The resin did not have enough hardener, and in the end could be pulled off by hand (with a bit of effort). First, roughed up the back of it with 60 grit paper. This step seems to be one of the two keys to a good bond.

First pic

Then the front was masked off. I learned that any screw holes or speaker openings will allow resin to drip through, which then has to be completely removed from the front face before vinyl can be applied.

Second pic

First layer of fiberglass down. Used too much hardener again, so obviously not much fiberglass could be laid down. Better to go with too much hardener than not enough, as I learned.

Third pic

This panel will probably need 3 layers of glass + resin since the first layer wasn't even half covered before drying.

I used to have those exact pods. I never beefed them up. Just mounted them as is. I had alpine type R components in them. Also SEM sells the exact colors in a spray can that will match your interior. I cut up a glove box panel to fit my new console and had to paint the panel. It held up great. Used adhesion promoter then paint.

I used to have those exact pods. I never beefed them up. Just mounted them as is. I had alpine type R components in them. Also SEM sells the exact colors in a spray can that will match your interior. I cut up a glove box panel to fit my new console and had to paint the panel. It held up great. Used adhesion promoter then paint.
Now you tell me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

This whole project is really just practice...Learning to vinyl wrap and apply fiberglass may be useful for bigger projects down the line //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Is that your install? Looks very good. 5.25"+6.5"?
As for the vinyl wrap, yea, this is a hard one for a first project.
Yea that was on my sierra 5-6 years ago. Yea 5.25 coax and 6.5 components. They were supposed to be black, and I was going to paint them to match, but they showed up fairly close to the shape color so I just left them as is.

Yea your going to have a hard time taking up the slack from the curves. You might just go the SEM color coat paint route. Like $9 a can, but you'll only need 1. And a can of duplicolor adhesion promoter. Wash with soap and water, let dry, then go to town.

This was the second attempt at vinyl wrapping:

Vinyl wrap #2

As you can see, it's not the best job //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

The first attempt was even worse. But I'm gradually learning. Good thing that vinyl is cheap, because I'm going to need a lot more of it...

Hey, your getting there! Better than I thought lol
Man you should have seen the first attempt //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

There's definitely a technique / skill to this. It's going to take quite a bit of experience.

Figured I should post an update since it's been a while.

Vinyl covering those pods was just too difficult for a newbie like myself, so I took it to an ATL local vinyl store //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif ($85 per pod, by the way).

Just ordered some damper layers from Second Skin. The plan is to get the wrapped pods installed real good into the door panels, then cover the back of the panels in sound deadener. After that, moving on to speaker and amp selection.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.