Paint Matching 02 Tahoe Interior

I’d wrap them in leather/vinyl. Cost like $12 at a fabric store and will look nice
I was originally planning to do that but upon further inspection it looks like some of the factory trim pieces are just painted plastic, so I figured why bother.

If I went that route, I think I would need a heat gun for Vinyl and I don't know if ABS can take the heat without deforming.

I was originally planning to do that but upon further inspection it looks like some of the factory trim pieces are just painted plastic, so I figured why bother.
If I went that route, I think I would need a heat gun for Vinyl and I don't know if ABS can take the heat without deforming.
You should be able to heat and stretch the vinyl well before the ABS gets soft. The trim is likely plastic that is dyed not painted. Matching may be tricky and of course it probably won't weather well.

Do you want the panels painted to match the outside of the truck or the inside?

You can always go to a Bodyshop supplier and see if they can shoot the panels with their color match camera and have it mixed in a rattle can.

Prep is key when painting plastic panels. Use a grey scotch pad, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lot-5-Grey-3M-Scuff-Pad-Scotch-Brite-3M-Brand/499873603, with water and give the panels a good scuff, you don't want any shiny spots or the paint will not stick. You are going to want to use adhesion promoter before paint. https://duplicolor.com/product/adhesion-promoter

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you want the panels painted to match the outside of the truck or the inside? You can always go to a Bodyshop supplier and see if they can shoot the panels with their color match camera and have it mixed in a rattle can.

Prep is key when painting plastic panels. Use a grey scotch pad, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lot-5-Grey-3M-Scuff-Pad-Scotch-Brite-3M-Brand/499873603, with water and give the panels a good scuff, you don't want any shiny spots or the paint will not stick. You are going to want to use adhesion promoter before paint. https://duplicolor.com/product/adhesion-promoter
Thanks for the info! I'm trying to match the interior trim. I want it to blend with the existing door panels. After I finish the front face of the pods I'm going to pull the door panels and test fit to see how much volume I'm working with. If it's possible to fabricate ~ .3 cuft of enclosure behind the woofer opening I am thinking of building a small enclosure for some shallow-mount Sundowns. Currently thinking of glassing the pods into the door panel and then covering the entire back of the panel in sound deadener.

You should be able to heat and stretch the vinyl well before the ABS gets soft. The trim is likely plastic that is dyed not painted. Matching may be tricky and of course it probably won't weather well.
I might go for the Vinyl, then. A major goal of this project is just to gain basic experience using the tools of custom enclosure construction. I tried my hand at baby fiberglassing, I guess it's time to try my hand at baby vinyl.

As for the factory plastics, all I can tell you is that if you scratch them even slightly, the paint comes off and you can see black underneath.

Thanks for the info! I'm trying to match the interior trim. I want it to blend with the existing door panels.
What color is your interior?

You may have to take an interior panel to a body shop jobber and go thru their factory color books, if they have a listing for interior colors. I do know that PPG and Sikkens have interior color chips.

As for the factory plastics, all I can tell you is that if you scratch them even slightly, the paint comes off and you can see black underneath.
Interesting. It can't be just normal spray paint though. I've seen people do that to panels in cars and it really doesn't hold up well.

What color is your interior? You may have to take an interior panel to a body shop jobber and go thru their factory color books, if they have a listing for interior colors. I do know that PPG and Sikkens have interior color chips.
Light tan. I'm hoping that if I go to a supplier they will let me compare samples to what I have, I dunno.

Unfortunately I just checked and one of the pods has some air pockets in it. It's definitely stiffer than it was, but I'm wondering how it's going to hold up in the car...don't want the resin failing after everything is installed.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Interesting. It can't be just normal spray paint though. I've seen people do that to panels in cars and it really doesn't hold up well.
It could be the world's thinnest vinyl. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

It could be the world's thinnest vinyl. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
I mean it's some type of paint that you couldn't just buy as a consumer. There's a lot of nasty chemistry that industry is allowed to use in paints that isn't available to regular blokes through retail channels.

If you can't find a supplier with the right color paint you could try LMC Truck, they have the factory colors in spray bombs. COLORBOND Spray Matches All Your Interior Colors | 1999-13 Chevy Silverado 1999-13 GMC Sierra 2000-13 Tahoe and Suburban,Yukon and Yukon XL | LMC TruckIf you are worried about the paint coming off when someone touches a panel buy the satin clear coat top put over the color.
I'm thinking I'll try the vinyl because why not. If I can't find the right color I'll probably order a factory color spray paint like the one you linked off the internet. If I use spray, I'll do it right - primer, couple of even coats, then at least one top coat.

Edit: For the record, the color that looks the closest to my interior is "neutral."

I don’t know if they all do but NAPA auto parts here can match paint colors by bringing in a trim piece ..I had them match my Focus factory trim color for a gauge pod I wanted to match ..and it’s mixed in an arrosal spray can

Well good news, fellas. It turns out my interior is 2 tone, so I popped two trim panels out and took them into the fabric store. They had some vinyl that was almost a perfect match for the lighter tone, and I got way more than I need for just $4. Just so ya'll know, down here in ATL it cost me $6 just to park my car while I got my hair cut today.

Grabbed a heat gun and some pain spreaders, will attempt to vinyl wrap the pods hopefully today or this weekend when I get the time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.