Opinions on a single Kicker L7S?

Niknakpattyzach

Nov 1, 2017
Kansas City
Hey y'all! First time posting here (woohoo!) so forgive me for any errors i make.

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the 12" Kicker L7S. I recently ordered one from Crutchfield to put in my 2014 Ford Taurus that I just bought after having my 2011 Taurus be totaled a couple weeks ago. In that car i had a pair of 12" Kicker CompR's and am wondering how this will compare.

Obviously, I'll find out soon but I'm interested in the communities opinion of the sub. I can't find anything really on the L7S, just the L7.

I'll be powering it with a Kenwood Excelon that will feed 913W RMS to the sub which will be wired for 2ohms.

Thanks!

EDIT: This is the single sub, that comes inside the Kicker ported enclosure. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064L7S122/Kicker-44VL7S122.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
South Coast Metro, CA
in that box it'll be pretty junky. Put it in a real 3 cubic foot net custom ported box tuned to 33-34hz and you'll see actual results out of that sub. As of now inside that box, you'll be getting 10-20% of what the sub can actually do with that box strangling that sub. Its a garbage designed box to keep costs cheap and appeal to customers that want to save space. Performance was the last thing on the designer's mind when they made that box.

kr15

Polluting Residentials
Feb 17, 2010
California
That^

I put in L7 12 in 2.75cu before. It was "loud"... that box is probably no more than 1.6cu or so

BOOMINGRANDPA

WOLFRAM FTW
Jan 8, 2017
NC
yeah what they said.. u would think company would sell the best box for their sub but they instead the make the smallest box that'll work al all.. they do this so they can sell it to peeps with small cars or don't want to give up entire trunk.. i worked a shop sold orion we got in a nice looking factory orion xtr ported box 2 12's had port about 5x5" or so (everyone that knows ported boxes can tell u just from that port that it won't right) i didn't know anything about ports way back then.. even with ss filter on a 500rms amp both cones ripped to shreds.. if u get a bigger box tuned lower than 40hz (kicker tuned that one about 43hz or so) it'll sound much better..

OP
N

Niknakpattyzach

Nov 1, 2017
Kansas City
Thabks guys! I totally see what you're saying. The other side of the coin is that the reason I went from 2 to 1 sub (and upgraded woofers) is that I'm a guitar player and am constantly loading lots of gear. This time around I wanted to save real estate. Is there a better box at a comparable size? I'm not a huge bass head, I listen to Blues, classic rock and rap, but I do want to be able to "feel" my music and love the thump that comes with a nice sub. Thoughts?

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
2 ohms? Seems everybody is going 2 ohms lately.

Your better off getting a custom enclosure made for your sub. Pre-fabs are not only junk but tuned way too high.

BOOMINGRANDPA

WOLFRAM FTW
Jan 8, 2017
NC
Thabks guys! I totally see what you're saying. The other side of the coin is that the reason I went from 2 to 1 sub (and upgraded woofers) is that I'm a guitar player and am constantly loading lots of gear. This time around I wanted to save real estate. Is there a better box at a comparable size? I'm not a huge bass head, I listen to Blues, classic rock and rap, but I do want to be able to "feel" my music and love the thump that comes with a nice sub. Thoughts?
u can do a sealed box, basically same size as your ported 1 is about right probably and may have less problems with that, won't need ss filter on amp but won't play as deep and probably loose 6db.. u need at least 2cf ad ported box (so 2.25 not counting sub may work) but don't buy a ported box, have 1 made but u said u want room so.

SubbinNCali

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
Apr 10, 2005
Orange County
Sounds like you're going to get exactly what you want, a little thump (for now). May not (will not) play the widest of range. You'll be craving low-end, and it will drive you cray-cray until you address it.

Hertz Mafia

FEATHER RUFFLER
Jul 2, 2016
Michigan
Sealed box is bad idea

That tiny prefab is a bad idea.

If you wanted to save space but have bass you should have got a decent little 10” in a porter box like a sundown E or sundown SA.

Erock77

Nov 15, 2017
Lancaster, PA
in that box it'll be pretty junky. Put it in a real 3 cubic foot net custom ported box tuned to 33-34hz and you'll see actual results out of that sub. As of now inside that box, you'll be getting 10-20% of what the sub can actually do with that box strangling that sub. Its a garbage designed box to keep costs cheap and appeal to customers that want to save space. Performance was the last thing on the designer's mind when they made that box.
I also just purchased a 12 LS7, im really new to this, what can i tell my shop to make me? "3 cubic foot net custom ported box tuned to 33-34hz" is this all the information ill need to give a builder to get the correct/optimal enclosure made? also, any link to one i could buy online that would be good? Thank you

Boomin_tahoe

10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
SO what should i expect to pay to have a shop custom make one?
Shouldn't be any more than 200. I hear some shops charging a lot more. Your gonna have to do some searching on your own on this one.

Might even search CL for a box builder. Up here in my state near me, there's a few advertising....something to look at.

BOOMINGRANDPA

WOLFRAM FTW
Jan 8, 2017
NC
SO what should i expect to pay to have a shop custom make one?
email this guy he makes good boxes u just gotta tell him what u want.. i had him move sub hole over 2" and change dimensions of box and port size, he made it and shipped it to me in 3 days.. i got mine without carpet or terminals to save a few $ idk about square subs man so just message him on ebay tell him what size u want (remember his #'s will be for box only so if u want box tuned to say 33hz tell him 31hz so when u stick sub in it'll be 33 get it) look at my avatar thats the 1 he made me.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAGE-2-PORTED-SUBWOOFER-MDF-ENCLOSURE-FOR-JL-AUDIO-12W6V3-SUB-BOX/263177242552?hash=item3d469607b8:g:YpkAAOSw7z1Z6V5I

Boomin_tahoe

10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Like how people buy stuff then make a post about it asking our opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds