Opinions on a single Kicker L7S?

Hey y'all! First time posting here (woohoo!) so forgive me for any errors i make.

I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the 12" Kicker L7S. I recently ordered one from Crutchfield to put in my 2014 Ford Taurus that I just bought after having my 2011 Taurus be totaled a couple weeks ago. In that car i had a pair of 12" Kicker CompR's and am wondering how this will compare.

Obviously, I'll find out soon but I'm interested in the communities opinion of the sub. I can't find anything really on the L7S, just the L7.

I'll be powering it with a Kenwood Excelon that will feed 913W RMS to the sub which will be wired for 2ohms.

Thanks!

EDIT: This is the single sub, that comes inside the Kicker ported enclosure. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064L7S122/Kicker-44VL7S122.html

Last edited by a moderator:
in that box it'll be pretty junky. Put it in a real 3 cubic foot net custom ported box tuned to 33-34hz and you'll see actual results out of that sub. As of now inside that box, you'll be getting 10-20% of what the sub can actually do with that box strangling that sub. Its a garbage designed box to keep costs cheap and appeal to customers that want to save space. Performance was the last thing on the designer's mind when they made that box.

yeah what they said.. u would think company would sell the best box for their sub but they instead the make the smallest box that'll work al all.. they do this so they can sell it to peeps with small cars or don't want to give up entire trunk.. i worked a shop sold orion we got in a nice looking factory orion xtr ported box 2 12's had port about 5x5" or so (everyone that knows ported boxes can tell u just from that port that it won't right) i didn't know anything about ports way back then.. even with ss filter on a 500rms amp both cones ripped to shreds.. if u get a bigger box tuned lower than 40hz (kicker tuned that one about 43hz or so) it'll sound much better..

Thabks guys! I totally see what you're saying. The other side of the coin is that the reason I went from 2 to 1 sub (and upgraded woofers) is that I'm a guitar player and am constantly loading lots of gear. This time around I wanted to save real estate. Is there a better box at a comparable size? I'm not a huge bass head, I listen to Blues, classic rock and rap, but I do want to be able to "feel" my music and love the thump that comes with a nice sub. Thoughts?

2 ohms? Seems everybody is going 2 ohms lately.

Your better off getting a custom enclosure made for your sub. Pre-fabs are not only junk but tuned way too high.

Thabks guys! I totally see what you're saying. The other side of the coin is that the reason I went from 2 to 1 sub (and upgraded woofers) is that I'm a guitar player and am constantly loading lots of gear. This time around I wanted to save real estate. Is there a better box at a comparable size? I'm not a huge bass head, I listen to Blues, classic rock and rap, but I do want to be able to "feel" my music and love the thump that comes with a nice sub. Thoughts?
u can do a sealed box, basically same size as your ported 1 is about right probably and may have less problems with that, won't need ss filter on amp but won't play as deep and probably loose 6db.. u need at least 2cf ad ported box (so 2.25 not counting sub may work) but don't buy a ported box, have 1 made but u said u want room so.

Sounds like you're going to get exactly what you want, a little thump (for now). May not (will not) play the widest of range. You'll be craving low-end, and it will drive you cray-cray until you address it.

Sealed box is bad idea

That tiny prefab is a bad idea.

If you wanted to save space but have bass you should have got a decent little 10” in a porter box like a sundown E or sundown SA.

in that box it'll be pretty junky. Put it in a real 3 cubic foot net custom ported box tuned to 33-34hz and you'll see actual results out of that sub. As of now inside that box, you'll be getting 10-20% of what the sub can actually do with that box strangling that sub. Its a garbage designed box to keep costs cheap and appeal to customers that want to save space. Performance was the last thing on the designer's mind when they made that box.
I also just purchased a 12 LS7, im really new to this, what can i tell my shop to make me? "3 cubic foot net custom ported box tuned to 33-34hz" is this all the information ill need to give a builder to get the correct/optimal enclosure made? also, any link to one i could buy online that would be good? Thank you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.