OK....so what DOES compare to the all mighty W7?

I fully believe in the ability of the w7 to outdo a 9500. Thats why in my original post i said that it can match or beat the w7. I didnt say it will destroy it everytime. But I do believe the 9500 is on the same level as the w7.

And you are right that the ads mtx puts out dont prove the 9500 to be an all around better sub. But they do not lie about anything in them. Which is why I said not to believe whats in print when you said not to believe them.

And I also don't deny the awards the w7 has achieved. But car audio and electronics named the 8500 series woofer best of 2004 over the w7. Point is both companies and woofer lines are highly decorated.

Yes the w7 10 does have an 8% larger surface but the 9500 has 10% higher xmax which more than compensates for it.

As I said earlier i think they are equally capable drivers.

But thats it i'm done digging into this. It's dinner time and i'm starving.

Its hard to ask people what sounds compares to something else (sound-wise). I mean the 12w7 sounded great to me, but an IDmax could sound better. However someone else might think the opposite. Sound is important but its very hard to compare due to people's preference and opinions. In terms of quality though, theres quite a bit to compare.

Which is why I said not to believe whats in print when you said not to believe them.
no thats not what i said i said not to believe the advertising skemes... the skeme would be that yes what they print is true, but no it doesn't make the mtx better

And I also don't deny the awards the w7 has achieved. But car audio and electronics named the 8500 series woofer best of 2004 over the w7. Point is both companies and woofer lines are highly decorated.
JL has more:goldcup: lol jk

Yes the w7 10 does have an 8% larger surface but the 9500 has 10% higher xmax which more than compensates for it.
As I said earlier i think they are equally capable drivers.

But thats it i'm done digging into this. It's dinner time and i'm starving.
right but the extra xmax doesn't help as much when it's no longer linear... i agree they are similar in some ways... but not that the mtx is better

W7 across the board for reasons that can't be shown with a thiele/small parameter when compared to a MTX 9500 series. A far more linear driver with lower inductance. Even on a t/s parameter basis, the W7's in sizes 12" and up and superior to the 9500 series.

Any design has it's downfalls; one of the big ones for the W7 is it's price due to the unique tooling utilized.

W7 across the board for reasons that can't be shown with a thiele/small parameter when compared to a MTX 9500 series. A far more linear driver with lower inductance. Even on a t/s parameter basis, the W7's in sizes 12" and up and superior to the 9500 series.
Any design has it's downfalls; one of the big ones for the W7 is it's price due to the unique tooling utilized.
i agree with this 100 %

The sad truth about the W7 is that the final product (or one very similar) could have been achieved at a lower cost had JL Audio not gone to such extremes with their tooling and R&D. If that were the case, the W7 boner would be very fierce. At the same time, JL Audio has really advanced their status with the W7: it's 5, 6 years later and it is still the most talked about product in car audio. Safe to say it's worked for them, and that's really what business is about in the end.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.