OK....so what DOES compare to the all mighty W7?

I must say the jl w7 is a great all around sub, gets loud under low wattage, sounds great, well engineered. Just overpriced, and over hyped by people that know nothing about audio and when u say u dont have a jl they automatically think ur system is wack. Its people like that , that make it the band wagon. I'm no JL FANboy, but JL w7 is one of the great subs out there that is why we use it for reference on if its comparable or above. JL is a realiable company that is why there products cost much higher than others. I know jl is great and all but i want to be diffrent, and that is why i dont run JL but i do want sumthing of the same or above performance on my other subs.

i'm tired of people bashing on each other over brand names, Buy what you like and STFU!!!!
W0rd! That sums it up very nicely! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Now here I disagree with you. Many of the fringe things they created (like changing the style of mounting, the surround, etc) are unnecessary. The big advantages of the W7 are it's linear BL (easily achievable with a little machining of the pole piece and careful design of the gap), relatively linear suspension (easy to test with a few different progressive spiders), and it's low inductance considering the Xmax (which they achieved by limiting it to a 2 layer voice coil instead of a 4 layer).
There are a large number of drivers that have achieved these feats and better at lower costs. I love the W7, but it's not an incredible break through in technology in terms of the value the patents JL Audio holds.
the style of mounting and surround are important in that they allow for much more effective piston area without compromising the performance and excursion capability of the surround, i thought was a purty good benefit

I must say the jl w7 is a great all around sub, gets loud under low wattage, sounds great, well engineered. Just overpriced

Stop right there, that's where you're wrong.Dealer price on W7's is actually really decent considering how much work must've gone into the sub, and the custom tooling............................

Most of the time, dealers WILL make bank off of them because of idiots, hype, and the like. You can easily get a 12" W7 BNIB with a warranty for $400-$500. . . . . how the **** is that $400 more expensive than a 9500?

I agree with you though.

Buy whatever you want, tell anyone who doesn't like your choice to shove it.

Stop right there, that's where you're wrong.Dealer price on W7's is actually really decent considering how much work must've gone into the sub, and the custom tooling............................
Most of the time, dealers WILL make bank off of them because of idiots, hype, and the like. You can easily get a 12" W7 BNIB with a warranty for $400-$500. . . . . how the **** is that $400 more expensive than a 9500?

I agree with you though.

Buy whatever you want, tell anyone who doesn't like your choice to shove it.
Funny, the 'dealer' price Ive seen on the 12W7 was more than $400. Maybe I was misinformed...?

And you could say a Ferarri is cheap, considering all the custom design and tooling etc. Does that make Ferarri's reasonably priced? Not arguing W7's are overpriced (although I have my opinion), but I am saying that's not really a fair defense. We (including you) have no idea what JL actually spent/spends on R&D for that driver, or how its broken down piece by piece.

You're right, we don't.

Bottom line is, no one goes around calling porsche's, ferarri's, lamborghini's, etc. overpriced unless they're just pissed that they can't afford them............................

Also, we consider ferarri's expensive, some people consider them cheap.It's all about your perception........it obviously varies from person to person.

Is a W7 expensive for a sub? Hell ****ing yes, but that gives me no right to say its overpriced.

Why buy JL when you can buy a FI for cheaper?

Why buy a Porsche when you can buy a Chevy for cheaper?

You're right, we don't.
Bottom line is, no one goes around calling porsche's, ferarri's, lamborghini's, etc. overpriced unless they're just pissed that they can't afford them............................

Also, we consider ferarri's expensive, some people consider them cheap.It's all about your perception........it obviously varies from person to person.

Is a W7 expensive for a sub? Hell ****ing yes, but that gives me no right to say its overpriced.

Yes, someone saying "overpriced" could simply them saying "I cant afford one". That's the easy part. The hard part is comparing performance versus price with more than one sub. Then feelings start getting in the way. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
But, point taken.

You're right, we don't.

Because people buy the name, not the product.

Too lazy to read the thread, but some that come to mind are the RE XXX, SI Mag, Older Brahmas, IDMax, just to name a few.

Honestly, never heard those, but I've heard lots of good stuff about them.

You're right, we don't.

not me. i call them overpriced because i can get a 04 cobra for 20g's put another 10-15g's into it and smoke em...only reason i would go for the exotics is the puss factor. plain and simple

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.