OK....so what DOES compare to the all mighty W7?

The W7 is comparable to the Boston Acoustics SPG555, not the other way around.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif
i just heard the spg555 in an install at quality auto sound. very impressive. it's still a little pricey, but it did sound nice. the interchangeable voice coil was pretty cool too.

The sad truth about the W7 is that the final product (or one very similar) could have been achieved at a lower cost had JL Audio not gone to such extremes with their tooling and R&D. If that were the case, the W7 boner would be very fierce. At the same time, JL Audio has really advanced their status with the W7: it's 5, 6 years later and it is still the most talked about product in car audio. Safe to say it's worked for them, and that's really what business is about in the end.
yes but then again the goal wasn't to do it as cheaply as possible but to make the best product... they had advantages in that aspect by having the unique voice coils, surrounds all of that... the new technoledgy used by them are whats made them what they are... they are one of the few companies that has had great success with almost everything new they have tried now that they are completly self-manufactured i think they will be coming out with some crazy things, like i said before..

if you hear someone say w8 buy a bomb shelter

what do you think sqeak? 9500 vs w7?
I think it's going to come down to personal preference.

Neil (Punk0Rama) is spot on with the W7 technically being a superior driver in most aspects.

But in the end all of the specs and measurements in the world don't really mean a thing if the user listening to the equipment prefers the sound of sub A to sub B. Yes, one sub may technically be superior to the other from a numbers point of view. But in the end, it boils down to subjective perception rather than the objective information.

yes but then again the goal wasn't to do it as cheaply as possible but to make the best product... they had advantages in that aspect by having the unique voice coils, surrounds all of that... the new technoledgy used by them are whats made them what they are... they are one of the few companies that has had great success with almost everything new they have tried now that they are completly self-manufactured i think they will be coming out with some crazy things, like i said before..
Now here I disagree with you. Many of the fringe things they created (like changing the style of mounting, the surround, etc) are unnecessary. The big advantages of the W7 are it's linear BL (easily achievable with a little machining of the pole piece and careful design of the gap), relatively linear suspension (easy to test with a few different progressive spiders), and it's low inductance considering the Xmax (which they achieved by limiting it to a 2 layer voice coil instead of a 4 layer).

There are a large number of drivers that have achieved these feats and better at lower costs. I love the W7, but it's not an incredible break through in technology in terms of the value the patents JL Audio holds.

Personally, I think that it is all in the install of the two subs. You can make a 9500 sound just as good as a W7 if you engineer the box correctly.........and the mtx is about 400 dollars cheaper.

Personally, I think that it is all in the install of the two subs. You can make a 9500 sound just as good as a W7 if you engineer the box correctly.........and the mtx is about 400 dollars cheaper.
To an extent...yes. But what if you "engineer the box correctly" for both subs? Does the capabilities fo each disappear and you end up with the same result from each? Absolutely not. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Now here I disagree with you. Many of the fringe things they created (like changing the style of mounting, the surround, etc) are unnecessary. The big advantages of the W7 are it's linear BL (easily achievable with a little machining of the pole piece and careful design of the gap), relatively linear suspension (easy to test with a few different progressive spiders), and it's low inductance considering the Xmax (which they achieved by limiting it to a 2 layer voice coil instead of a 4 layer).
There are a large number of drivers that have achieved these feats and better at lower costs. I love the W7, but it's not an incredible break through in technology in terms of the value the patents JL Audio holds.

I thought the mounting system was their way to get the most cone area? Correct me if I am wrong?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.