Odd subwoofer "breathing" when sound stops should I be worried?

If its just that track and not after other tracks that are different songs or other albums I would say its that recording then
They were all 10 second long uncompressed WAV files. It wasn't music they were test tones I generated online. But like I said I have noticed it happen a couple times with music too when there is a quick hard bass hit that isn't followed by anything else. It can only be seen when the note is quick and stops suddenly. Like if there are hard quick hits that sit on top of a steady tone in the music like with rap then it cant be seen happening because the sub doesn't stop moving.

Take Echo by Gorilla Zoe for instance. The quick sharp notes at the beginning before the drop comes it can be seen happening if it's playing loud enough.

The track might just end on the compression cycle. Then it would re align because of the spider to 0 xmax.
Have you ever seen that happen before? In a ported box? Should a sub need to "re-align" to center in this way if the note stops suddenly.

Never personally, but it would make sense. If it ends mid cycle, it would have to re align, especially in a ported box. In a sealed box, it would just do it slower. Honestly as long as it does it one time and thats it, you will be fine

Never personally, but it would make sense. If it ends mid cycle, it would have to re align, especially in a ported box. In a sealed box, it would just do it slower. Honestly as long as it does it one time and thats it, you will be fine
Just seems weird because shouldn't the force of the magnet be able to re-center the sub so fast that this shouldn't technically happen or be seen like this?

Only reason it's worrying me right now is because my 4 year old JL W7 did the same thing and could hear a subtle "pop" sound from the cone on those quick notes sometimes.

The SA-8s don't "pop" just have the odd "breath" effect the W7 showed

No, but like I said, as long as it stops right after the music does it will not hurt your subs.
Just makes me wonder though whats actually happening when the sub is constantly moving though. If it's doing this re-aligning thing when a note stops suddenly it makes me wonder if there's some weird resistance in the sub during hard movement that could potentially hurt the subs

What amp? Poop amp? You said other tracks too right? Ive never seen it happen unless I had some cheap equipment or was picking up noise somewhere
Again see sig. Amp is a Audison LrX 5.1k. The most powerful 5 channel amp audison ever made. And when it was in production it was over $2000 amp. So if that's a poop amp I'd hate to see what is an excellent 5 channel amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif

Can you get a video? As far as the popping on the jl, it may have something to do with this but might not also.
The JL was 4+ years old and was also starting to get VC scratch at certain angles when pushed. So I just chalked the "pop" up to being old and well worked in lol. It still pounded good. Just couldn't be pushed QUITE as far as the day it was bought. Sold that for $400 in the HO box and bought my Sundowns. So far they slay the W7 just wanna make sure nothing is going wrong that could limit the life of these subs.

I will try to get a video tomorrow that shows the effect happening after the test tones. Hopefully my GS3 will be able to pick up that slight movement.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.