Odd Remote Wire Behavior

Participant count
  • Participant list

ModernScience

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey guys, really stumped with this one. Today I went out and bought myself some new beefier wires for my amplifier. I just swapped the existing wires for the new ones. Afterward I powered on the car by turning the ignition to accessory, and I went out and fiddled with the audio levels on the pots on the back of the amp. As I set the amplifier down in the trunk, I noticed the light went off on it momentarily. I thought that I had failed to tighten a clamp down on a wire or similar, and when I jiggled the remote wire on the back of the amp, the problem replicated. At this point I just removed the remote wire, cut it back, stripped it and reconnected it. However, the amp did not turn on. At this point I was getting no audio whatsoever from the speakers. I went to the driver seat and shut the ignition off then opened and closed the door to get the power to cut. I went back to the trunk to find the amplifier was now on. I returned to the driver seat and started the car. I went back and checked the amp and it was off. So I did this song and dance a few more times and have determined that my remote wire is now powered when the ignition is off, and if I turn the ignition on, it becomes unpowered.

The remote wire I use back there is piggy backing off of the factory remote wire for a built in Boston Audio amplifier that connects to the rear and front speakers. It plays no role in the function of the aftermarket amplifier I am powering my sub with. Due to the remote wire now being unpowered when the car is on, I get no audio out of any speakers whatsoever.
Does anyone have even the slightest idea what could be happening here? In all of my years I've never seen anything this strange.

A bit more here on the setup:
2011 Chevy Camaro with the Boston Audio package.
Aftermarket Alpine amp, with 12" sub. Dual channel
Aftermarket center console PAC to house aftermarket receiver.
Battery is in the trunk, power and ground attached directly to battery terminals.
Remote wire attached to the remote wire input on the back of the stock Boston Audio amplifier.
This setup has worked exactly as wired today for the better part of 2 years. Literally nothing changed except for new power and ground wires on the amp.

Update
So this evening I went out and removed the console from the wiring harness, and I detached the factory amp. Still powered when the car is off :/

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...