can you use "odd shaped" subwoofer enclosures?

Participant count
  • Participants list

sebasboy

CarAudio.com Newbie
heya good day!

currently in the rough planning stages for my next audio system.

and wondering if you can use "odd shaped" enclosures for subwoofers without it being fully trash at SQ?

for now this is my rough enclosure design plan. (it's a older pic don't mind the mess the wiring was before lol)

photo_2023-05-16_15-19-28.jpg

to install the red box. I'd have to remove the front AND rear seats to be able to slide in the enclosure. but it should fit tightly in.

in the spare wheel compartment i will place Atleast the LTO bank's. and maybe the amplifiers depending on if they would fit. my current amplifier setup could fit in there. but have to worry about cooling too.

red box should net for about 200Litres of air volume. i hope.

This picture is from a guy i met on a car meet. this box is a volume of about 160L and is using 2x10 inch subwoofers.

26776A00-26BA-40FB-8E0D-6A1AEA6783AB.jpg

but i want to go wider. deeper. and taller. but in the end the same rough idea.

he has his rear seats setup at 45 degrees. i got my seats setup at 40 degrees. which should also allow me to fit 2x12's instead of the 2x10's he was limited to.

so my question is. would this be a viable subwoofer enclosure for SQL? or would this be absolutely trash for any SQ?

Last edited:
If the interior volume is correct, and "odd" shape can actually help a speaker of any type sound better.
Has to do with standing waves and a whole bunch of other rules of acoustics (like avoiding measurements being perfect multiples of each other, avoiding perfect cubes, etc).

Think of the inside of the box as a "room". The closer the dimensions are to the golden ratio ((1 x 1.6 x 2.56 (Height, Width, Length)), the better.

If the interior volume is correct, and "odd" shape can actually help a speaker of any type sound better.
Has to do with standing waves and a whole bunch of other rules of acoustics (like avoiding measurements being perfect multiples of each other, avoiding perfect cubes, etc).

Think of the inside of the box as a "room". The closer the dimensions are to the golden ratio ((1 x 1.6 x 2.56 (Height, Width, Length)), the better.
i see, good to know At least.

that means i could squeeze out more air volume indeed.

bit of a crude design but so far was thinking of roughly this shape.

but i could perhaps also give the top plate where the woofers are a gentle slope towards the front. but that might get complicated in port calculations then..

Attachments

• boxdesigntest.png
    boxdesigntest.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 15
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...