HELP Deck & dash electrical keeps shorting out after recent re-wiring

Participant count
  • Participant list

OD6429

OK I barely know anything about this Im just a girl trying to fix my system so I appreciate any help and apologize for lack of knowledge I can find out specifics of what I have if needed.

I have an 02 Mitsubishi Lancer that I bought off a kid who had a sub hook up already wired as well as a bunch of electrical things (I'm assuming he did himself) in the front like HID lights under the seats and an alarm system as well as a Pioneer deck he already had in. Got the car like 2 years ago, immediately hooked up my subs had no problem with that and everything worked fine up until recently. The alarm was set up with my remote start which broke so I had to put the alarm in valet mode so I could just use key entry again, in order to do this I had to mess with the wiring a little to find out which wires were the alarm, not sure what I did but I never worried about it again. A few months later (like 6mos ago) my subs would kinda just fall off, mid song theyd bump off to just regular bass, and then randomly turn back on. Wasnt really a pattern to this but eventually it fixed itself and my subs, deck, everything was working fine. But any time I had anyone look at my car they were like "wow whoever wired this did a terrible job"

A week ago, this AAA guy claimed he had to unhook my subs to get at my spare tire in my trunk which I reluctantly told him OK when he said he knew how to hook it all back up. Of course, since then my subs never worked and when I went back to check out the situation my wires were smoking and then my deck/electrical blew out (deck power, dash clock, ignition dinging, power lock). Had my friend look at everything, he ripped out a buncha wires from the HIDs etc that I didnt need and not sure what else but he got my deck & everything working again and then after puttin everything back it shorted out again. Had him go thru it all again, check my ground wires and deck harnesses, etc (not sure everything he did) and he had everythign working including my subs I was so excited and then mid song mid driving it shorted out again yesterday.

I bought new fuses I know there were 10As in there so I got 15As, not sure what fuse I should be looking for? Not sure which wires were smoking but they were in my trunk, could there have been damage and now its just gona keep shorting out? What else should I do?? I really dont wana bring it somewhere & get screwed, Sound FX already estimated me at like $250 just to diagnose it so I have a few people who know what theyre doing, I just would really appreciate extra help with the possibilities of what is happening...I wana sell the car anyways so if nothing else Id like to just get it back to basic without subs....HELP !!

redo everything.

remove all wiring that is not stock.

repair all stock wiring to same quality as stock.

all connections that repair wiring should be soldered with heat shrink.

verify the car works 100%.

run all new wiring for the stereo, done correctly.

stop trying to patch the work done. if it's poor, you remove and start over from scratch.

always disconnect the battery terminal when working on wiring. always remove fuses when changing amp wiring. change you own darn tire. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if you don't have electrical skills/knowledge, and/or no tools then pay someone. $500-800 is a fair price (at $60/hr) depending on the level of chaos.

Okay well if I do not have $500-800 to pay someone to do that lol (trying to sell the car absolutely do not care enough to drop almost a G on electrical **** someone else did) and I have removed all excess wiring, with just basic wiring to deck and amp, what things should I be checking as far as the power to my deck and dash? All Im really asking is what specific fuses and wires go to the deck and where a short could be....the wires are all good, it was just unorganized.

You need to check every point the wires running to your deck have been sliced or cut into, also every wire that has been tapped to run something else in the vehicle. If its shorting out its probably one of those points that's bare and touching either the frame or another wire that's bare.

In the end Keep Hope Alive is correct, you need to find someone who knows what they are doing and to go through the vehicle and repair or replaces all the wiring that's been damaged or done incorrectly. If you sell this car and its burns down and you didn't disclose the ****** wiring you could be liable (Not positive but in California its like that.)

Also putting bigger fuses will only make the issue worse and more of a threat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.