I have a couple of odd issues all of a sudden.

Participant count
  • Participant list

JohnPD

CarAudio.com Regular
My first issue is that in my head unit crossover settings, my -24db slope setting simply disappears on the rear channel and the sw channel, but not on the front channel. When I say it disappears, it totally disappears as in it's not even an option anymore, until I power off the vehicle, or disconnect the negative on the battery, then it comes back, and the firmware is up to date. Any ideas?
My second issue is sometimes, especially when the ac is running, I get a fairly loud static sound, sort of like clearing your throat when you want to spit. This only happens every so often. I have checked every ground, head unit, both amps, battery to chassis, and engine to chassis, and they all register zero ohms. Alternator and battery are brand new, and both also test perfectly fine. I replaced my cheap RCA cables with high end twisted and shielded ones, and I still have the same results. It almost never does it without the ac running, but does occasionally. With the ac running it does this every hour and a half or so. RCA cables are ran on the opposite side of the vehicle of the power cables too. Something odd is going on because this never did this prior to a few weeks ago. This does this regardless of the audio source too.

Last edited:
What speakers do you have ? Model # and Brand, HU model and brand, and Assuming and amplifier as you state replacing RCAs? What amplifier model and make? What size is your ground wiring and Power supply wiring? More information needed of your audio System.

What speakers do you have ? Model # and Brand, HU model and brand, and Assuming and amplifier as you state replacing RCAs? What amplifier model and make? What size is your ground wiring and Power supply wiring? More information needed of your audio System.
JVC KW-M788BH, Polk Audio DB 6502 components up front, Polk Audio DB 652'2 in the rear, Sony XM-GS4 amp, 8 gauge power and ground wire. Ground wire 2ft long, power wire about 6ft long. Brand new battery and alternator, all grounds test at zero ohms for the system, and the battery and engine grounds are also zero ohms. Head unit grounded to same location as the amp.

JVC KW-M788BH, Polk Audio DB 6502 components up front, Polk Audio DB 652'2 in the rear, Sony XM-GS4 amp, 8 gauge power and ground wire. Ground wire 2ft long, power wire about 6ft long. Brand new battery and alternator, all grounds test at zero ohms for the system, and the battery and engine grounds are also zero ohms. Head unit grounded to same location as the amp.
I would find a different ground location for the HU. Maybe a solid bar cleaned off and secured there. Its really not a common place to ground an HU along with the amplifier. It could create interference. i would try that first. 14ga/12 ga copper wire or even 10ga if you have any

I would find a different ground location for the HU. Maybe a solid bar cleaned off and secured there. Its really not a common place to ground an HU along with the amplifier. It could create interference. i would try that first. 14ga/12 ga copper wire or even 10ga if you have any
I have 14 gauge, I'll move the head unit ground to the other side of the center console frame

I have 14 gauge, I'll move the head unit ground to the other side of the center console frame
That will be just fine. 14ga is fine/most HU size is 14ga. Be sure to clean that surface off to bare metal/ no paint surface. Sand paper 60-80 grit should work fine. Id use a sanded washer then a sanded ring terminal then another sanded washer and the bolt. Most of washers and the terminals have a clear coat /coating on them to keep from rusting/sitting for a long period of time and I usually sand that off for a better connection

I relocated the head unit ground, and I also put plastic wire loom tubing over the RCA cables since they sit on the bare metal floor under the carpet just as a precautionary measure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...