Noobs First Wall; Democcord Part 2

so next i started test fitting back, and false floor before i permanently attached everything

Since everything seem to fit like wanted it too i stripped the seats off and what not so i could clean and be easier to set everything up.

Next I attached the 2x4 to back too seal off trunk and please 2 2x4 pieces to as to make sure false floor was level all across and not just the middle and put tons of PL glue to make sure it didnt go anywhere as well as brace hem to vehicle with bolts and washers.

After letting the 2x4 sit for long while i attached the the false floor to the 2x4s with glue and screws as well as glue the center part of the false floor to the groove directly to the car with a ton of PL glue as i could not screw or bolt it in due to gas tank. Also went ahead and cut out back piece and did a test fit to it

After a few days of letting glue sit i foamed any voids of floor

I reinforced the top back piece that would go above rear deck with some 2x4

Then attached rear piece

Pic of trunk facing in

next i attached the first piece of the roof with just glue at first then screwed in where i could without puncturing roof

once it was nice and dry i applied foam in all cracks and spaces i could find. Might have gone a bit overboard

once that was all sponged up and hard i took off excess as well as took off old foam and cleaned it before attaching second roof piece. Unfortunately when I measured Back piece i went a bit to high and could not attach second roof piece from top and let it rest on back piece since it would be too close to rear window. So i want ahead and bought some brackets and attached it on inside of back piece

also went ahead and measured the angle of what angle piece should be to fit nice and snug

Next I placed the Actual angle pieces with full height for test fit

Once satisfied i used kreg jig and a bunch of glue to attach both

Next Started measuring and test fitting side pieces

And same process as angle pieces

And this is currently where i am now, tomorrow or later i should say i plan to add then final pieces which is the 2 angle side pieces and what ever else to fill in. Afterwards I will work on baffle and sealing b pillar. Still got quite a bit of work to do as i plan to sand inside of course, add filler to make everything nice and smooth as well as cover glue on edges and round them over, at some point add fiberglass mat and resin as well, then paint. Still have to fix trunk up also since it has no floor (will be making one out of wood) making a lay out for current batts as well as amp ( soon to be amps). Will keep updating as im going.

Shaping up quite nicely. I'd encourage you to do at least two layers on those side pieces and on the top. Back and bottom should be OK with the 2x4's on the back side.

Well, I can see the snack of choice....in almost every single pic, sweet and salty.
Haha darn you caught me. That’s actually holding my screws, the box they came in broke apart and that’s all I had at the moment. Although those are goo regardless

Shaping up quite nicely. I'd encourage you to do at least two layers on those side pieces and on the top. Back and bottom should be OK with the 2x4's on the back side.
I’m debating on that currently actually. My original idea was to double layer it but as I was going I figured some 2x4 on the sides Would be good. But I do want to add a second layer the the sides since there is room between the sides and the doors. Or I can do a combo of both since they’re still room. As far as the roof goes, it seems pretty solid currently and will only get stronger once I add several layers of resin and the bracing I’m planning.

I’m debating on that currently actually. My original idea was to double layer it but as I was going I figured some 2x4 on the sides Would be good. But I do want to add a second layer the the sides since there is room between the sides and the doors. Or I can do a combo of both since they’re still room. As far as the roof goes, it seems pretty solid currently and will only get stronger once I add several layers of resin and the bracing I’m planning.

You really can't make it stiff enough.

Cutting these angle pieces hasn’t been all that great as I’ve messed up several times, but I finally got that right one. Wasn’t able to do a whole lot this weekend but hopefully will get more done tomorrow.

Quick question for anyone that can help, would it be better to seal b pillar with wood or fleece and resin?
Im far from an expert but I would assume the fleece and resin would be much easier and seal better just for the simple fact it can be contoured from one area to the next without 500 cuts

Quick question for anyone that can help, would it be better to seal b pillar with wood or fleece and resin?
Whatever you're comfortable with. Keep in mind wood will be far cheaper than trying to lay up fiberglass thick enough to actually be rigid. Depending what angles you need to mate with at the edge wood may become overly complex though. Or you could do a combination of the two... cut wood to fit close-ish then fill smaller gaps with fiberglass.

Whatever you're comfortable with. Keep in mind wood will be far cheaper than trying to lay up fiberglass thick enough to actually be rigid. Depending what angles you need to mate with at the edge wood may become overly complex though. Or you could do a combination of the two... cut wood to fit close-ish then fill smaller gaps with fiberglass.
I like that idea. I’ve just never used resin before aside than just laying inside a box single layer. I might try the combo see how that works. I just want to make sure it’s air tight and firm as hell. Will be using filler after to smoothen it out and round out the edges so I can paint at some point. Thanks for the input

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...