10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Minot, North Dakota, United States
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Mar 27, 2019
nowhere
Not all that expensive either. I paid 10 bucks for a 3 roll pack of it last year on amazon with shipping. Originally it was what they used as "electrical tape" back in the day before they switched over to the newer stuff you see. I can remember seeing dad use it as a little kid growing up on his cars. Lots of car audio shops use it because it works, takes temps well and is very easy to take off unlike some electrical tape is.

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Cheapest I found was Crutchfield. Amazon has the 82' interior two rolls for $10.99. If you are a Prime Member, shipping is free. Amazon exterior Tesa tape is $8.99 a roll. I order a ton of stuff from Crutchfield. Wire ferrules, tesa tape, 4 channel rca's, etc. so that I could get free shipping

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
I've used barely any of the exterior. Run was maybe 5ft under hood. But the interior I have used almost one full roll and will be breaking into the second roll here soon. Any of my wires run inside are fully wrapped for protection, ran along factory wiring, as well as zip tied. My wiring harness behind the head-unit is also tidied up and covered in tesa tape.

I OCD'ed the crap out of this install.

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
I also have 50sq ft of sound deadener coming in today. Sound deadening will take a couple days. I want the doors to be solid for midbass reasons. Any left over will go in the rear hatch area. Its 47 sheets 9.8" x 15.7".

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Mar 27, 2019
nowhere

Sry 2 rolls for 9 bucks. I have it underneath my hood now and no issues. I also did a flame test and a heat gun test on it. No issues with either with melting shockingly.

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Mar 27, 2019
nowhere
I went with Second Skin sound deadener 40 square feet for my two front doors and rear hatch. I have Killmat here that someone gave me for free was a brand new box but that crap smells and in a hot area like mine, no way is it going in my doors,lol.

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
I went with Second Skin sound deadener 40 square feet for my two front doors and rear hatch. I have Killmat here that someone gave me for free was a brand new box but that crap smells and in a hot area like mine, no way is it going in my doors,lol.
That’s what I have now Kilmat. It had great reviews. Hell I used peel and seal on one of my cars up here and never had any smell. But we only get over 100 degrees two weeks out of a year

Coolhand20th

CarAudio.com Elite VIP
Mar 27, 2019
nowhere
It has already been close to 90 here and going to be over 90 starting tomorrow or Sat for 3-4 days already. We may not get 100 but we get at least 20 days maybe 30 over a 3-4 month period of over 90 and many with head indexes well over 100 sometimes approaching 110-115. Plus in a white explorer...no thanks!

Yeah I know its 30ft but didn't need much in my areas so it worked fine. Plus I also have some very fine mesh wire loom as well in a few sizes big enough that I can fit 2 runs of 1/0 through it.

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
I’ll try and get some pics this weekend. But I finished the amps and sub install. Waiting on some new speaker adapters for the doors before I do the sound deadening. I tried tuning using usb with tones downloaded from Rockford. But it must be bad. I couldn’t get the gains set worth a damn. So I gave up last night and went out this morning and used Bluetooth with a tone generator thru my phone. All of the gains set almost identical. And it sounds great.
Those Sound Ordnance 6.5 components came alive with some good clean power.
I have it tuned for a max volume of 51 without distortion. I can’t go over 31 for my taste. But I’m old. lol

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
I’ll try and get a video up tomorrow

Attachments

Reactions: Clifff150

Kickstand

CarAudio.com Veteran
Jan 1, 2021
Maple Ridge
I can see the Forester through the window in that last pic
That your wife's?
She going going to let you put some equipment in her's?
Mine will not let me touch the stereo in her car
She had a good argument though
"Do you really want every guy in town staring at me wherever I go?"
Damn her

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
The Forester is actually mine. We are going to buy a Legacy XT for my wife. I am gonna keep the Forester and the Outlander. No equipment will be going in the Forester. But once we get the Legacy XT, a new build will begin in the outlander

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Well my favorite company is having a sell. So, I bought these:

$258 shipped for the 6.5 components and the 6.5 coaxials

And 2 sets of these

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds