No name blew 12" kicker Comp R, replacing with a MOFO-124X

Don't sell it's a great amp that can make decent power. Look into something like a sundown sa12 dual4 and run the amp at 2ohm. This will leave you the ability to upgrade by adding another sub and wiring to 1 ohm for more power later on. I have that amp and it worked well for me I ran it at .5ohm with strong electrical. Just make sure the gains are set correctly and you don't clip the sa to death.
So if the kicker had selectable 1 or 4 ohm and it was set at 1 ohm then the amp was seeing a .5ohm load, right?

I almost feel like I ripped the young 18 year old I bought this from off. He really thought it was only a 1000 watt amp. I thought I got ripped a little at first for $190 but it's not too bad. He told me it was too much for him and that it shook his entire car is why he was selling it. I didn't get to hear it because he didn't have it hooked up. He just promised it all worked and that he would give me my money back if the amp didn't work. He never said anything about the sub though and now I guess I know why.

Its not just amplifier gain, your head unit settings and LOC preout signal strength ALL is compounded to your signal and overall gain settings. The amp's pentiometer could be a lot more sensitive than your old PPI which usually arent that sensitive. Meaning you could very well be clipping even at 0 gain depending on your LOC and your head unit settings. This is what i was talking about about you not knowing what exactly could have went wrong with the install.
I get what you're saying. I will get it all checked out friday. The stuff that was put in the wiring and all I kept in my car when I sold my old system. I know everything was dialed in great on the PPI amp because that thing never even got too warm to hold your hand on. I jammed that setup for 2 years before I sold it. It's funny, I thought a blown speaker would smell like burning wires or metal, smelled more like leather to me. Or kind of like a barn smell. Or my nose is just seriously messed up from smoking cigarettes.

who cares if he got ripped off, bottom line is he didnt because he didnt know what it was worth. doesnt mean its your fault. people get good deals all the time look out for that more often and youll start making money and being able to upgrade your system with the extra $ you make.

one sub wired to 1 ohm will be a 1 ohm load. it says 4 or 1 ohm because the coils are dual 2, which means in series 4 ohms and in parallel 1 ohm. 1 ohm is fine unless your electrical *****.

the best advice i can give you right now is to take your time, be patient, and learn as much as you can from the internet (the largest resource out there) and people who know their **** (which are those in this thread)

who cares if he got ripped off, bottom line is he didnt because he didnt know what it was worth. doesnt mean its your fault. people get good deals all the time look out for that more often and youll start making money and being able to upgrade your system with the extra $ you make.
one sub wired to 1 ohm will be a 1 ohm load. it says 4 or 1 ohm because the coils are dual 2, which means in series 4 ohms and in parallel 1 ohm. 1 ohm is fine unless your electrical *****.

the best advice i can give you right now is to take your time, be patient, and learn as much as you can from the internet (the largest resource out there) and people who know their **** (which are those in this thread)
I appreciate it. I will. I don't have the money, and I guess I'm not as enthusiastic as all you are about a system to go and buy distortion detectors and all that stuff. I just wanna be able to play my metal and feel the kick drum in my back. Maybe make the roof of my car flex at a red light, little stuff like that. My old system u loved because it was perfect. Loud enough for me to enjoy but couldn't really hear it too much outside of the car besides the trunk rattling. I might get a new head unit, now that my windows will be tinted but before I lived in Houston in "the ghetto" and didn't want my stuff getting jacked so opted to keep it all stock except the amp and subs.

I appreciate it. I will. I don't have the money, and I guess I'm not as enthusiastic as all you are about a system to go and buy distortion detectors and all that stuff. I just wanna be able to play my metal and feel the kick drum in my back. Maybe make the roof of my car flex at a red light, little stuff like that. My old system u loved because it was perfect. Loud enough for me to enjoy but couldn't really hear it too much outside of the car besides the trunk rattling. I might get a new head unit, now that my windows will be tinted but before I lived in Houston in "the ghetto" and didn't want my stuff getting jacked so opted to keep it all stock except the amp and subs.
lets just say things will sound even more ugly than before with more power. You will need trunk treatments along with a lot of rattle treatment so you can actually enjoy bass instead of rattle.

Your mids and highs will be drowned out most definitely as well. If you listen to metal, you definitely want a proper front stage with powerful midbass to keep up with the subs. I'm a metalhead as well, you'll want a proper head unit with SQ features that allow you to really experience a personal metal concert in your car.

I would not get the mofo as it cant play upper notes which a lot of metal music has and has a fairly limited bandwidth aka SQ *****. How much space are you willing to give up in the back area? Are you building a proper custom ported enclosure as well? we can figure out a nice setup for you on a budget easily.

Just putting my 2 cents in to the discussion.. 1st that's a one off amp right there.. 1500 rms at 1ohm(200-300$ amp used). If you didn't at least upgrade ground wires, alt wire upgrade, and ran at least 2 gauge(maybe 4) or bigger wire to the amp.. then you were choking the power to it. 2nd, Kicker comps can't handle that much power, are you sure the previous owner wasn't running it at 4 ohm? 3rd, you said the gain and bass boost were low.. but you really shouldn't run bass boost at all, unless you know what you are doing or your doing some short bursts for fun. Also, turn off bass boost on your head unit and depending on what HU it is your EQ needs to be set modest on the bass side. Never turn bass boost up or change bass EQ after you set your gains, it completely changes the output wattage. Like everyone else said, you need to set your gains properly.. Its really easy to get your gains close enough with a multi-meter..

Here's how: With sub disconnected, put your multi-meter leads on the speaker outputs of the amp. Set your head unit volume to a level that your door speakers are at max volume without distortion. Run a 50hz test track. Turn your gain until you reach targeted voltage. To know what output voltage you need: Square root your target watts X ohms. Say you want 1000 watts at 1 ohm.. SQRT of 1000 = 31.62 if you wanted 1000 at 2ohms then 1000 X 2 = 2000 sqrt =44.72. I've always ran my sub's at a lower gain for a few weeks after I get them just to break in.. it's a controversy if subs actually need a break in period, but I figure it gives me something to look foward to later on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I know a lot of people like running battery banks in their trunks, which I've thought of doing, but I really don't think it's necessary unless you want to shovinate while the cars off. Also consider the max amp output of your alternator, that number is usually considering the engine at a high rpm.. Amps X Volts = Max total wattage. You can run battery banks if you want to run more watts than what your alt is putting out, but you need to give it a break to let the batteries recharge. Also running your alt at max draw for a long period of time will kill it. Over draining regular car batteries kills them. Deep cycle batteries can handle that much better. End 2 cents. Sorry if i repeated anyone else's post.

Just putting my 2 cents in to the discussion.. 1st that's a one off amp right there.. 1500 rms at 1ohm(200-300$ amp used). If you didn't at least upgrade ground wires, alt wire upgrade, and ran at least 2 gauge(maybe 4) or bigger wire to the amp.. then you were choking the power to it. 2nd, Kicker comps can't handle that much power, are you sure the previous owner wasn't running it at 4 ohm? 3rd, you said the gain and bass boost were low.. but you really shouldn't run bass boost at all, unless you know what you are doing or your doing some short bursts for fun. Also, turn off bass boost on your head unit and depending on what HU it is your EQ needs to be set modest on the bass side. Never turn bass boost up or change bass EQ after you set your gains, it completely changes the output wattage. Like everyone else said, you need to set your gains properly.. Its really easy to get your gains close enough with a multi-meter..
Here's how: With sub disconnected, put your multi-meter leads on the speaker outputs of the amp. Set your head unit volume to a level that your door speakers are at max volume without distortion. Run a 50hz test track. Turn your gain until you reach targeted voltage. To know what output voltage you need: Square root your target watts X ohms. Say you want 1000 watts at 1 ohm.. SQRT of 1000 = 31.62 if you wanted 1000 at 2ohms then 1000 X 2 = 2000 sqrt =44.72. I've always ran my sub's at a lower gain for a few weeks after I get them just to break in.. it's a controversy if subs actually need a break in period, but I figure it gives me something to look foward to later on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I know a lot of people like running battery banks in their trunks, which I've thought of doing, but I really don't think it's necessary unless you want to shovinate while the cars off. Also consider the max amp output of your alternator, that number is usually considering the engine at a high rpm.. Amps X Volts = Max total wattage. You can run battery banks if you want to run more watts than what your alt is putting out, but you need to give it a break to let the batteries recharge. Also running your alt at max draw for a long period of time will kill it. Over draining regular car batteries kills them. Deep cycle batteries can handle that much better. End 2 cents. Sorry if i repeated anyone else's post.
Its 4 gauge wire. Been 4 gauge since I had my 1200 PPI in my car. And no, when I put the sub in the new box I bought it was set to 1ohm on the selector.

lets just say things will sound even more ugly than before with more power. You will need trunk treatments along with a lot of rattle treatment so you can actually enjoy bass instead of rattle.
Your mids and highs will be drowned out most definitely as well. If you listen to metal, you definitely want a proper front stage with powerful midbass to keep up with the subs. I'm a metalhead as well, you'll want a proper head unit with SQ features that allow you to really experience a personal metal concert in your car.

I would not get the mofo as it cant play upper notes which a lot of metal music has and has a fairly limited bandwidth aka SQ *****. How much space are you willing to give up in the back area? Are you building a proper custom ported enclosure as well? we can figure out a nice setup for you on a budget easily.
I could build a sub box, but it would be just that. I don't know what size to make it or anything, I would just slap it together. I don't know anything about that except for pre-drilling the holes so the screws don't split the wood and stuff. The box it came in when I bought it from that kid, looked like it's had 2 or 3 different subs in it over its lifespan. The 4 screws that were in the sub box holding the kicker in were all messed up. One screw was just literally vibrating right out of the box. So I went to the same stereo shop where I am going Friday to get my windows tinted and have them check out the amp and everything and bought another box, which is pre-fab. I am not sure what it’s cubic feet are, but I know it’s a little bigger than the box the kicker was in and it sounded way better as soon as it was in the new box. In the original box it came in, the sub was I guess slapping against the box when it would hit. You could hear the box rattle more than anything else. I couldn’t really notice the trunk rattling believe it or not after it was in the new box. Even with my old system I couldn’t really hear the trunk rattle unless I was outside of my car. I at one time had a Pioneer headunit that I ended up selling on ebay because I didn’t like it. I didn’t like the equalizer it had on it, so I never even bothered hooking it up in my Camry. My factory stereo isn’t all that bad sounding. Best factory stereo I have ever heard, next to the older Delco the late 90’s Chevrolet trucks had. The port on the new box is about maybe a 4x4 square tube, maybe 3x3. The port on the box it came in was about 2½ inches wide and the length of the box, and the kid had the amp screwed down to that on the port side when I first got it.

I am not against replacing every speaker in my car and even getting an amp for those as well, if my budget allowed for it. I don’t want to go buying some boss amp, though, or Pioneer speakers and all that stuff. There’s a few stereo places in Dallas and Irving that offer some 90 days same as cash deal but it’s through a leasing company, which I do know. I bought my first system that way, but the inflation kills me. I went to a shop in Sherman and the guy had a deal that I guess wasn’t so bad, he was going to give me 2 Skar Audio 600w 12’s, an 800 watt amp, and a probox that was pre-fabbed for $600. But when I looked online at Skar Audios website I could have had all the same, but a bigger amp for $489. But then would have to rack my brain figuring out how to build a box good enough for it that would spec out to what it should be for the subs.

I really this time want the single sub because I don’t want to give up the majority of my trunk space. The Memphis 12’s I had before, my wife would go grocery shopping and come back bumping the hell out of it with cracker boxes, cucumbers and all kinds of crap rubbing all over the subs. I went with ported box this time only because of the power. I liked my sealed box I had the Memphis subs in, but those were only 250/500 subs. And it was all pro installed and tuned, so I didn’t really worry about the heat. It sounded awesome all the way up until I sold it which was 2 years after I had it put in my Camry, and I owned that same setup and had it in a 2001 Dodge Ram single cab for about 6 months prior to that.

As for the MOFO, there’s no turning back now. I ordered and paid for it last night and it has already been shipped and will be here Thursday sometime. I watched several videos on youtube of people who had the same sub, watching their vehicles flex and vibrate and get all beat to hell with that sub. I know you wouldn’t buy it, and that’s all right. You probably have a lot more money than I do and could tune your system on your own. I know I could too, if I went and bought the tools to do it. I don’t even own anything bigger than a ¼ in socket set and a drill and some drill bits. I don’t have a DMM, don’t have a DD1, don’t have anything like that.

I have dealt with the leasing company that offers 90 days same as cash and think I have some room there for my credit, I think maybe $1700. But the weekly payments would probably do me in quick. When I used them the first time I paid it off in 90 days and just paid the original $900 it costed for that PPI and Memphis subs and all that stuff I had gotten.

If I have the mofo wired to 2 ohms, then my amp is only going to be feeding it about 800 watt rms, right?

My alternator, just doing a quick search OEM is 100 Amp. And I am curious, I unhooked my remote wire so the amp wont turn on without having a sub connected to it, but if it does turn on without an amp hooked up to it, and I listen to my stereo like normal will it blow the amp if there's no sub?

My alternator, just doing a quick search OEM is 100 Amp. And I am curious, I unhooked my remote wire so the amp wont turn on without having a sub connected to it, but if it does turn on without an amp hooked up to it, and I listen to my stereo like normal will it blow the amp if there's no sub?
should be okay.

As long as all your wire is secure and no loose connections to cause a short, there's no harm.

100amps X 14volts(prolly bit lower)= 1400 watts you an pull. Now your motor needs like 3-10 amps I believe(dont quote me), if you run an a/c thats like 25 amps, various things like wipers and lights take a few more, and of course your head unit :p. So realistically if you cool yourself with the age old 4x60, then you can expect like a 30 or so amp draw from the car itself. So you really got like 70 x 14 = 980 watts for your amp. So if your not going to upgrade the alt, then you will need a deep cycle battery and give it time to recharge from time to time.

No there's no reason your amp would turn on, if it did without a sub, its not completing a circuit, so its not even really drawing any power. Like jeff said, put some tape on the end of the remote so you don't start a fire :p.

Alright guys, I know I get the "dunce" hat for ordering the MOFO. But, I couldn't just cancel it because it was already on its way. SO I got it in today, went and bought 14 gauge wire, because the speaker wires I got from the guy I bought the amp and the kicker that I blew from only had 16GA. I was looking for 12 but couldn't find any at Walmart. I know, I know....but I live in a small town and Best Buy was already closed in the town I work in when I got off of work. Anyway, I read somewhere to turn up the volume on the car speakers until I hear it distort with the bass and treble both at 0. My factory deck goes -5 to 5 on both bass and treble. I turned it up all the way to the max, and unless my ears are just shot to hell, I didn't hear a single bit of distortion. I did cut it back though, the volume goes all the way to 62, and I think I turned it back to like 52. Then I went back to the amp and kept turning the gain little by little and never did hear my sub distort, I may have had it half way up on the gain. Anyway I turned it back down, because I wasn't too sure I knew what I was doing, which let's face it....I don't know what I am doing. I play guitar, electric so I imagine hearing distortion to me (I use a crap ton of it with my guitar) I may not even really notice, or think anything of it. My question is, if I would only be drawing about 800RMS on the amp with the MOFO wired to a 2 ohm load, does that mean it would be safe if the amp was all the way up, barring any power issues from the electrical you've mentioned? Even where I had it at, I did adjust the bass from 0 to 5 once, just to see what it sounded like, and it wasn't even hitting as hard as the kicker was, like I could have went way more on the gain. BUT, it did dim my headlights a little. I have the sub wired, positive to positive, negative to negative on the coils, then positive to amp on one coil and negative to amp on the other coil. I honestly am not even sure I did it correctly, I just did what I saw on the crutchfield wiring diagram I was looking at. I know the shop I am going to tomorrow, or later this morning now, will set it up just wondering if it would hurt the amp if I did crank it up all the way, if its' only going to be 800 watts I am drawing anyway to the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.