Newbie... Need Help

rrdingus

CarAudio.com Newbie
Guys,

I just bought my son a 2012 GMC Sierra Crew Cab. It is fully stock without the Bose System.  I want to keep the stock radio but want to upgrade the speakers and add a sub or 2 under the back seats.  If this was your truck, what would you buy?  My budget is about $700.

I also have a few questions.  When keeping the stock radio..

When I install new high quality front and back door speakers, do I need to install an amp for those door speakers?

Any help would be appreciated !!

BD

Hello! welcome to the caraudio.com

My name is jack and I will try to assist you with the questions u asked!

First, by a factory radio I think u mean a build in one, these are kinda hard to get an amp hooked because u need to converter to get an L and R or better said RCA. U can do this by buying a converter and connect the + and the -(speaker cable) to the converter who creates an RCA output. 

Maybe you're lucky and already have a 1 din radio installed! Great, then the above is not needed anymore

When my friends come to me to ask for guidance, they always say "I only want a subwoofer hooked to an amp".

And then I say  " I'm not gonna help u with this" I also explain why I won't help them with this! Look at it this way, if u have a stock 4x50RMS speakers set up and u gonna add a subwoofer 500 RMS+amp, The speakers will literally be overwhelmed with the intense loud subwoofer. the % against each other will be like speakers 10% vs 90% subwoofer. It won't sound good and u have to lower the sub a lot to even make it sound reasonable 

But then again a budget of 700 is nice!

I Don't know what you're goals are?

Condensator is nice to buy, a better alternator is way better tho :)

give us some more information, please :)

Radio? goals? RMS? just some sound? the loudest sound system for this price?  prefers? more crystal clear sound ? let us now :)

(PS STOCK RADIOS CAN SERIOUSLY BE VERY BAD OUT OF FACTORY AND COULD DECREASE VOLUME AND QUALITY DRAMATICALLY)

Last edited by a moderator:

First, by a factory radio I think u mean a build in one, these are kinda hard to get an amp hooked because u need to converter to get an L and R or better said RCA. U can do this by buying a converter and connect the + and the - to the converter who creates an RCA output. 

Maybe you're lucky and already have a 1 din radio installed! Great, then the above is not needed anymore

When my friends come to me to ask for guidance, they always say "I only want a subwoofer hooked to an amp".

And then I say  " I'm not gonna help u with this" I also explain why I won't help them with this! Look at it this way, if u have a stock 4x50RMS speakers set up and u gonna add a subwoofer 500 RMS+amp, The speakers will literally be overwhelmed with the intense loud subwoofer. the % against each other will be like speakers 10% vs 90% subwoofer. It won't sound good and u have to lower the sub a lot to even make it sound reasonable 

Radio? goals? RMS? just some sound? the loudest sound system for this price?  prefers? more crystal clear sound ? let us now :)

(PS STOCK RADIOS CAN SERIOUSLY BE VERY BAD OUT OF FACTORY AND COULD DECREASE VOLUME AND QUALITY DRAMATICALLY)
haha.....who the f**k is this guy?...caraudio.com consultant?

By the fact that this is his first topic, He joined the caraudioforum to try to get some helpful answers, therefore a good welcome is never a bad thing+ A consultant Would probably don't care about breaking windows with a Frequency note tho.

Can u also throw some good tip's and tricks to you're monitor we would like that.

oh man, i hope you stick around here a while your going to be very entertaining

First, by a factory radio I think u mean a build in one, these are kinda hard to get an amp hooked because u need to converter to get an L and R or better said RCA. U can do this by buying a converter and connect the + and the - to the converter who creates an RCA output. 

oh man, i hope you stick around here a while your going to be very entertaining

That's indeed probably the case, The other website I gave some guidance disappeared!

U see haha no problems anymore over there AMAZING! so now I'm just gonna restart over here :)  

very pleased with the website already.?

Guys,

I just bought my son a 2012 GMC Sierra Crew Cab. It is fully stock without the Bose System.  I want to keep the stock radio but want to upgrade the speakers and add a sub or 2 under the back seats.  If this was your truck, what would you buy?  My budget is about $700.

When I install new high quality front and back door speakers, do I need to install an amp for those door speakers?

BD
I have an underseat box that might fit your truck. I bought it for a ‘14 Chevy Crew Cab, but sold the truck. First thing you should do is spend some of that money on sound deadening both doors and the floor, from the firewall to the bottom of the back window. Then I’d start looking for nice used pieces to get the system started. Maybe start with a JL Fix piece to clean up the OEM head unit, then move to a 4-channel amp, and a 2-way passive comp set. Once you’ve got that, look for your sub, and sub amp. It will add up quick, once start buying all the install equipment... Much easier to do in stages!

Guys,

BD
I did head unit, front speakers, 5 channel amp, and sub in my Corolla for about that money so you have some options.

First off, be aware for "good" sound even an entry level aftermarket head unit would do better than Line Out Converter (LOC) on the factory source.  You will need one or the other to get RCAs to your amps most likely.   Any particular reason you're looking to stay with the stock head unit?  Stock head units can often be a weak link right from the start.

I'd also suggest not replacing rear speakers.  Focus your efforts elsewhere.  Doing the fronts plus sub with a decent amp will get plenty loud and allow your budget to be used where it will really make a difference. 

Using amps is critical.  Stock head unit might put out 5-8W per channel real-world which is fine for stock speakers with a coil the size of the eraser on a #2 pencil but on anything decent it's just not enough power particularly to keep up with any decent sub(s).  With sub-stage as well, less is more.  What you may remember 2 12" woofers was like when you were in high school can be done with a single high quality 8" woofer in the proper box these days (power is CHEAP and woofer technology takes full advantage of this).  That said if you're not competent/confident with woodworking or lack tools and time you might be stuck with prefab options which would be more like the old school options you may remember. 

Do let us know what precisely you have for space to work with to mount sub(s) and amp(s) and your level of confidence with DIY.  This youtube channel may be handy selecting amp(s), the guy is a member here and has a stack of reviews on budget priced amps.  https://www.youtube.com/user/bigblank69

Check back here before you buy anything, there's a lot of very poor quality stuff out there in the entry level price range and the unscrupulous manufacturers are very good at hyping it up; there's also enough uneducated consumers who will give junk strong reviews so you need to be careful when shopping.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.