newbie looking for help with system upgrade

Participant count
  • Participant list

UptownTahoeNYC

CarAudio.com Newbie
hello all, came across the forum looking for information about upgrading a system. i dont really know anyone with musical knowledge in reference to cars to ask and found this site. i have a 2004 chevy tahoe LT with the BOSE onstar system. while its relatively loud...i want it louder but clear if that makes sense. i still want the base, but i want to have a system where the songs sound clear at the new loud and dont distort. ive heard systems of what i would like but never have the chance to ask the owner. this is what i want:

louder than the bose system

clarity but also have a bigger sound and base

quality but dont need high end showroom or competition level.

speakers, amp, wiring, subwoofer. not a giant box thing in the trunk i need the space but moderate box is cool.

i use my car alot for work and drives, and i want that loudness. can someone point me in the right direction in terms of brands/models that would meet what i want? ive read that some of the stuff local shops offer is overpriced/overated like kicker/JL. im willing to go with lesser known brands if i can get what i need if i can find the installer. or perhaps order all the equipnent i want and have a shop install. im honestly scared of installing something thats worse than the bose system already in there. i got quoted for a kicker system 1200. if i can keep it around that more or less would be good. 1500 good enough?
also does the head unit matter? i replaced the stock one with a pioneer one that has bluetooth. no screen but good enough for what i wanted.
thanks in advance.

not cheap, but really good stuff

15" dual 2

thanks for the reply. im honeslty not good with audio stuff, and was kind of looking for advice for what to pick at a shop for them to install it. most of the shops around here run kicker, jl audio, and random brands they use for the giant Dominican speakers used at the meets and stuff.

Id would recommend spending some money on deadening your front doors at the least, to get rid of much road noise as you can

Most shops should allow you to bring in your own stuff. The list Nauc did is really good nice middle to high end stuff on it. Dynaudio is among the best out there. Some Volvo's come with them stock and people go to junkyards to pull them out and use them and resell them for a good profit. They are very clear, good midbass and if you don't like them can damn near get what you paid for them as they are in demand. And ID amplifiers and speakers have a great rep as well. My only disagreement is the RF Amplifier not that it isn't nice or good I would just go a different amplifier is all and a little more power say like a 1.5 or 2K or some sorts. Can still get some 2K Koreans out there for a good price. I have a set of Fi Xv3's 12" I am installing tomorrow finally and same model he recommended but running a 3.5K to them to have some overhead on the pair.

^ youll like those Fi subs. i built one up for home theater this summer. its running off a Dayton 1000 watter, its nice

Did dual 1 ohm spiders on them as well since its a free upgrade. Idk if I will get to them or not woke up with both surgically repaired knees that were done in the last 40 days both swollen, full of fluid and barely able to walk again. Stupid weather gets me every time

Got them installed today and yeah very nice. They still have a lot to give once they are broken in. Definitely impressed though with them. Running a SIA 3.5K on them now but also have a Audio Legion 2.5K Korean that I might try also to see what works best. Thinking they could take even more if I wanted to push it but idk.

hey guys thanks for the replies. im sure i could bring parts and what not to a shop..but my issue here is the "sound". i want something alot louder and clear than the Bose system in my truck. without hearing anything im hesitant to buy stuff and then have it installed and it sounds the same or lesser. at least i would think with what a shop offers if its not loud enough i can go louder. i dont want the doors deafened i need to hear this music lol the head unit is

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/FH-X730BS

with the Bose system in the 2004 chevy tahoe LT. its loud..but i want it louder with quality parts and brand. one place quoted me 1200 for a kicker replacement of speakers, amp, and woofer. im willling to go 1500-1600 for the right system and sound. another highly rated place seems to do JL audio and DD audio. i ideally want to walk into one of these shops...have them replace and upgeade everything that sounds louder and better than the bose system...with quality parts and some sort of reasonable workmanship warranty. im in the bronx,ny and will travel reasonably for good work. ive heard of jl audio and kicker but not all these other brands which is why im asking for help.

You will not be disappointed if you have him do an install. He will recommend though deadening the front doors. The cost is well worth it vs not doing it not too mention the difference in sound as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...