New to car audio, need advice please

johnmtip

CarAudio.com Newbie
TN
I'm new to car audio and only know the bare basics. I would take more time to research to upgrade my vehicle's audio system, however, I have two nearly full time jobs, so please forgive my ignorance. I need help picking out speakers.
I have broken up my needed advice into sections, so it would be easier to understand. I apologize in advance for so much info in one post.

Intro:
I have a 2006 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD, (No Bose/DVD). I would like to upgrade the front door speakers first. (Not sure if I have rear door speakers, probably not).

Speakers:
I don't know what size I need, or what would be the best "bang for my buck". I also don't know what tools are required for taking off the door panels.

Head unit:
Then later down the line maybe I will upgrade the head unit, maybe an ATOTO A6 or something, and able to have rear cameras hooked up to it. (I'm atleast aware that I need a wire harness and probably a Double DIN instalation kit). let's ignore the head unit for now.

Sub:
I haven't given Any thought to installing a sub, I absolutely have no idea what I need, I don't want to install another alternator or something. That fact has put me off from even thinking about, I know tech, but I'm no electrition, and don't know much about ohms, resistances, voltages, and wattage. Edit: I also listen to a lot of fast technical deathcore music.

Thanks so much for any advice.

Edit: This is my amazon wish list: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/X2EOW58JU7A3?ref_=wl_share
Edit 2. "Edit: I also listen to a lot of fast technical deathcore music."

Last edited:
For speaker sizes use Sonicelectronix or Crutchfield, you input your year model and trim then they ask what option you have for radio then give you the speaker sizes and locations. From there you can decide on some companies.

As far as taking the door panels off it could be held on by bolts/screws or some doors use the old style of push in replaceable fasteners.

For head unit look at the Pioneer and Kenwoods don't go cheap with a cheapo Chinese unit. Those double dins from them have the ability to integrate cameras into them.

For doing electrical it isn't hard at all. You do a big 3 with 1/0 OFC or Welding wire to alt positive from battery, ground to alt bolt from battery, ground to chassis from battery and a alternator upgrade is easy. You change it out just like any other alternator using the serp belt the vehicle came with. They make bolt in ones that you don't have to modify anything.

Subwoofer you will want a ported box if possible and depending on your goals i.e how loud, music tastes and the amount room you want to give up will help everyone as well.

You will want to do components up front with a active crossover setup and some of those double din radios have that ability built in. A 4 channel amp with a mono block or a quality 5 channel amplifier if you want to do it simply.

For rear speakers most don't do it or if they do they have the rears run off the head unit only.

You will really need to do a 4 channel amplifier for the components if you really are going to upgrade to different speakers otherwise head units can not power those.

Good luck and plenty of people here will help guide you through any questions.

Thank you for your advice, however a lot of what you said went over my head. Specifically " big 3 with 1/0 OFC or Welding wire to alt positive from battery" "active crossover setup" and "4 channel amplifier" parts.
at the moment, I really need to know what speaker size I need. I did that whole Sonicelectronix or Crutchfield thing, and it gave me different sizes for some reason.

Not sure how it did that. I just did it on both, Crutchfield I did no bose no rear entertainment system and base envoy not the envoy XL and both sites come up with 6.5" speakers in the front & rear doors.

Articles on the Big 3 and what it is.

4 channel amplifier is how you add wattage to a system.

If you are really going to do all this my suggestion would be to find a really good car audio place in your area to go and talk to them. Because while everyone learns somehow someway it would be a good thing to talk to a reputable shop and see what they have to say then come back here.

Maybe someone in Tennessee from here knows a place for you to go talk to.

Definitely stay away from that ATO head unit just chinese junk. Pioneer or Kenwood is the way to go, quality is so much better and you can get cameras for them with the kit or use your own on some of the models.

What is deathcore?.. I digress. Sounds like modern metal to me. DC subs liike spl/rock applcatons but other than that... forget the cheapo chinese deck and no goals have been discussed. Lotta info above but Op needs to list a budget and goals. As someone said... the cheapo deck does not bear inspection.

You can do a system without having to upgrade your alt.
Just not a crazy system
The Big three is upgrading your stock wiring to handle to power. Its actually really easy to do.
You use 1/0 gauge wire and run a new wire from the positive terminal on your battery battery to your alt, the ground wire that runs from the battery to the car and there is another ground wire that runs from the engine to the frame or chassis.
You do the big three and put in a better battery and you should be good up to 1500-2000 watts depending on the size of your stock alt.
To be honest, if you don't know what a 4 channel amp is them you might be in over your head a little bit.
I suggest going to you tube and search for some stereo installation videos to get better aquatinted with the process
I'm not trying to be a dick, although sometimes it seems to come naturally
I'm just being honest

I'm confused by the size because those websites give me this option "5-1/4 6-1/2/6-3/4"
This is the kind of music I listen to
we all have our own music tastes lol. made the edit because Coolhand20th said "depending on your goals i.e how loud, music tastes and the amount room you want to give up will help everyone as well. "

@Kickstand at the moment, all i want is advice on front speakers, Edit, all other info was just extra info. :)

Edit: at the moment, my laptop literally sounds better than my stock speaker (I say Speaker because only one of them works lol)

Last edited:
#facts... how loud do you want to get?
ts about goals and whatever space you're wiillng to sacrifice.
2006 GMC Envoy SLE 4WD
Really?... skys the limit

@[B]shredder2[/B] not very loud, I don't want to be a nuisance or anything, I live in an apartment. I would be happy without a sub woofer. main goal is just speakers first, then (maybe) head unit. edit, i should also reinstate only one of my speakers work and it's crap.

@shredder2 I don't know what deck power means, but yes, door speakers mainly. the websites mentioned in prior posts give me the sizes of "5-1/4 and 6-1/2/6-3/4" I dont have any clue what that means, why two sizes? I imagine only one sizes fits the door. I'm also not sure what tools i need, but i think i need this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L8GHB7O/?tag=caraudiocom-20 and some kind of extended socket set.

Edit: What's the issue with
Chinese head units? the Atoto A6 Seems pretty good. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CMV84L2/?tag=caraudiocom-20

Last edited:
Amazon reviews on that stuff are fake mostly. The chinese units are junk constant issues, sound stinks on them, firmware issues. Pioneer and Kenwood is better.

It gives you those sizes as options you can put those in the spot. Stick with a 6.5 component if you want to improve the sound or just go standard 6.5s with the tweeter built in.

@[B]Kickstand[/B] at the moment, No budget. I'm busy getting bills transferred over from my mother that has more of and advantage than I do. I have to have two jobs to pay the bills. she makes like nearly $30 an hour, I work 14-16 hrs a day and can barely afford rent. anyway, that's irrelevant. I will upgrade the speakers later, when i do have money to spend. (I would love to buy a ps5 but that will never happen lol)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.