New school subwoofer question?

Fs is important to be sure. But there are other things at play. Sensitivivity, xmax, motor force, sheer cone area. I like them since it feels more natural sounding to the ear. If I were to do an enclosure again I would definitely go bandpass. 4th. I heard one with two 18's and it sounded great on all music. Suprised the hell out of me actually. I think they were Fi BTL's
Some drivers will model horrible but sound completely different in real world applications. You can analyze T/S paramaters all day. Since were really only talking about a reinforced baffle seperating the cabin, I recommend you just go for it and experiment. The results may surprise you.

A well built IB setup with the right drivers will get you a 140. There's cats out here doing 65's on music. Which is..you know...absolutely bananas. I cant wait to see how the hobby evolves in the next 10-20 years.

Price Performance Technology (Moore's Law).

I'd be stoked if it went into the direction of infinite baffle and low FS at smaller cone area.

6.5" with an FS of 28hz. Capable of infinite baffle.

Lol I remember reading that.

Ib is quite popular in Europe and I may try it in my car but I really don't want to put a serious system in that car.

Stereo integrity, acoustical elegance, Fi are all pretty popular as is the image dynamics subs. Biggest thing is to get the largest cone you can fit with the most xmax

The 700 series have low Xmax 15mm.
Not sure how the other specs interact though.
FS: 28.2.

Hard to believe that low 15mm Xmas would be an issue at all reviewing its output in person or in videos.

Look 144db in the video. That's not really as loud as 165 db but for the way it expresses 144 it's incredible (as a whole).

Obviously Xmax or even DB don't do it alone.

I've seen 150db in lame videos, of lame Subs.

Last edited:
The 700 series have low Xmax 15mm.
Not sure how the other specs interact though.
FS: 28.2.

Hard to believe that low 15mm Xmas would be an issue at all reviewing its output in person or in videos.

Look 144db in the video. That's not really as loud as 165 db but for the way it expresses 144 it's incredible (as a whole).

Obviously Xmax or even DB don't do it alone.

I've seen 150db in lame videos, of lame Subs.

It's only 15mm of linear xmax it's probably 30mm of total one-way xmech but it starts to suffer distortion above 15mm. That's not to say you can't use the whole one way xmech and in spl setups that's what you do but linear xmax is what you look for when doing infinite baffle or any sq install.

And 145 is decently loud 150 is what I would call loud and painful above 150 is literally damaging your hearing. 155 and up is just bass competition range for me really 140-145 is pretty loud for the average person

Fs is important to be sure. But there are other things at play. Sensitivivity, xmax, motor force, sheer cone area. I like them since it feels more natural sounding to the ear. If I were to do an enclosure again I would definitely go bandpass. 4th. I heard one with two 18's and it sounded great on all music. Suprised the hell out of me actually. I think they were Fi BTL's
Some drivers will model horrible but sound completely different in real world applications. You can analyze T/S paramaters all day. Since were really only talking about a reinforced baffle seperating the cabin, I recommend you just go for it and experiment. The results may surprise you.

4th orders are interesting for certain subs. Personally I don't care for them most of the time. Especially since they tend to hide the signs of an overpowered or unloaded/bottoming out sub which means no warning before sub damage

It's only 15mm of linear xmax it's probably 30mm of total one-way xmech but it starts to suffer distortion above 15mm. That's not to say you can't use the whole one way xmech and in spl setups that's what you do but linear xmax is what you look for when doing infinite baffle or any sq install.

And 145 is decently loud 150 is what I would call loud and painful above 150 is literally damaging your hearing. 155 and up is just bass competition range for me really 140-145 is pretty loud for the average person

My hearing is blocked from 2 minutes of my bass. When the front windows are up.

"Xmech: 80mm"?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221114-142220-092.png
    Screenshot_20221114-142220-092.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 14
My hearing is blocked from 2 minutes of my bass. When the front windows are up.

"Xmech: 80mm"?

So mechanically you have 40mm of xmax each way, but linear xmax is only 15mm. So from 16-40mm you induce some sort of distortion. That said most people don't notice that kind of distortion especially since the bass is generally quite loud at that level of xmax.

Basically 140DB+ is better SPL style.
"Upgrading" to neodymium is typically how you find "easy" gains in the higher 160dB and up range. You can get far more gains for much less money if you're under 160dB.

Sundown has indeed been around a while and it's been probably 4 years or more since they're pretty mainstream, or at least widely available through the big retail websites and brick and mortar stores.

IMO those big surrounds are mostly a gimmick. If you're bottoming out any sub with a cast frame your box is wrong for what you're trying to do and another 6mm of x-mech is not going to give you audible gains at those very low frequencies.

Is there a difference as far as facing the sub into the trunk vs into the cabin?

Nah, it was just eaiser to put it in that way for a test. I find it eaiser to gauge Xmax looking at the spider/coil joint. I wanted to see how close to Xmax I could push one of these with the 3k IB. Ate the power up until about 20hz where it was getting close to Xmax.

Matt

What sub is that?
Also, I’ve read before something about venting the trunk to the outside. Is that necessary?

TC sounds Pro 5100 18". I didn't vent my trunk in the jetta. In the last car I just took out the little trunk vent thing. Didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

Jake321

CarAudio.com Recruit
Jake321
Hawaii
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies