new guy looking to do own install...and need advice

buckeyechad1974

hello all. i would like to thank you in advance for any assistance!!!

i recently purchased 2010 dodge ram 1500 and putting new stuff in it. the following is what i have purchased. pioneer fhp8000bt head unit, 4 infinity 9633cf 6x9's, 2 infinity 1062w subs, 2 pioneer gmd9500f amps and pioneer tuner/sirius tuner for head unit....as well as box for subs to go under back seat.

what i am trying to find out is what else i need before i start ripping truck apart. i was told that i will need a wiring harness and a dash kit. i am also unsure about how to hook the amps up together as well as the "system control" on the amps....

thx to all!!

You will need an amp install kit with proper size power and ground wires. You will also need a dash kit if your vehicle has an odd opening and a wiring harness if you don't want to cut up your stock harness. Your vehicle might be equipped with a stock amp so you might need to find a way around that because most likely, it will not work with your new HU.

so i think i know what i need to do. can you please let me know what i am missing. i need to get wiring harness, dash kit, and antenna adaptor...this should complete what i need for HU install.

4 gauge wire from battery to distributor block with 8 gauge wire out to my 2 amps. should i ground amps to battery or vehicle?? will put inline fuse about 12 inches from battery. (what size fuses though??)

my last question though.....what size/type wire to use for system control to amps??

thx!!

id do 4 guage out of the distributor block to each amp, unless the amps can only take 8 guage

ground amps to car with about 1-3 feet of wire

fuse anything over 100 amps should be good although im not familiar with your amps

what do you mean system control? run rca's from headunit to amp 1 pair of rcas for each amplifier, run 4 guage wire from battery directly to amps, dont forget your remote turn on lead going from headunit to both amps

the pioneer instructions call it a system control wire......probably same thing as what you are calling remote turn on. what size wire would that be?? the amps i am running are pioneer gm d9500f. i have two of them....what size fuse would that be. one will be 4 ohms to 4 channels at 75 w rms....the other 4 ohms 2 channel at 200w rms

in regards to the rca's...dont i run two pairs to one amp (4 channel amp controlling the 4 6x9's in my door) and the sub rca's to my other amp for the subs (2 10 inchers)

hm. you may not even need to buy an antenna adaptor, not sure, check to see if you can fit it as is. as far as your inline fuses, the amps should have external fuses, add them up, and get that size or a little bigger to put 12 inches from the battery on your power cord. should be around 100-120. depending on how many outputs your deck has rca wise, you can do as you stated above, and run two pairs of rcas to your 4 channel amp, and then one to the sub amp, however your amp should have rca outputs that you can use. wont sound better or anything, just use less wiring. the remote turn on wire can be any size really, use 16 gauge probably. something round there.

ok....so i got the headunit in and it powers up and i dont smell anything burning!!! ran power to amps but have not put fuse in yet. i am still unsure as to which size to use. i am running 2 pioneer gmd9500f amps. the instructions call for 2 30 amp inline fuses.....so what would i use....i am running to amps. the fuse in the amp itself is a 40amp fuse.

thx a million

You need to add the 2 amp's fuse sizes together and then use that value so you would need an 80 amp fuse within 18 inches of the battery.

quoted form caraudiohelp.com

Current Handling - The fuse needs to handle the power that will flow through the cable under maximum operating conditions (full power) and no more (ideally). To determine the maximum amount of current that will be needed you will need to know the current draw of each part of the system that draws power from the main wire. For example, if you have two amplifiers that draw 30 amps and 50 amps respectively you'd want to use an 80 amp fuse.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

buckeyechad1974

buckeyechad1974
arizona
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
DukeNut