New build is having an issue and I can't seem to troubleshoot it

LucaBrasiMN

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hey guys,
I just hooked up my new stuff and everything seems to turn on and stay on fine. But the problem is it is just not very loud. Like somewhere something is not getting enough power. Any music seems like its a 100 watt system and not 1200.

If I were to guess it is probably my janky speaker terminals or the ground isnt good enough. I tried a different ground and that didn't help.

Build is Skar 1200.1 wired to 1 ohm
12" DC Level 3

Here are some general pictures that may help someone find where my issue lies:

Attachments

• a0o105d.jpeg
    a0o105d.jpeg
    508.6 KB · Views: 75
  • p6IoMV4.jpeg
    p6IoMV4.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 75
  • rcK95l2.jpeg
    rcK95l2.jpeg
    638.1 KB · Views: 72
  • If0tnIL.jpeg
    If0tnIL.jpeg
    451.7 KB · Views: 72
  • tKLrIc7.jpeg
    tKLrIc7.jpeg
    432.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IRvJKIE.jpeg
    IRvJKIE.jpeg
    304.8 KB · Views: 81
  • xbVNODm.jpeg
    xbVNODm.jpeg
    568.5 KB · Views: 74
  • gfXFzUu.jpeg
    gfXFzUu.jpeg
    447 KB · Views: 74
  • zdaRFwd.jpeg
    zdaRFwd.jpeg
    451.6 KB · Views: 70
  • p27r4Qr.jpeg
    p27r4Qr.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 71
Start with your ground. Looks like a small self-tapper into painted sheet metal.

x2 on this.

OP, if you're going to self tap ground like that, you need to sand/grind away the paint, where the entire ring terminal is making contact with bare metal. I would actually recommend using one of your seat bolt as a ground. I've unfortunately done a lot of self-tapped grounds back in the day, and they are awful, usually, quite honestly. They always seem to malfunction, comes loose, corrode. It can let moisture into the vehicle.

What voltage RCA outputs does your radio have?

I would totally do a series 6th order in a setup like this. Truck acoustics are weird. I've had several back seat pickup truck boxes, my first vehicle was an extended cab F150 that I did like 10 boxes in, tons of testing.

OP, have you ever considered removing half of your backseat and making a platform? I did a single DC level 4 12 in a series 6th order bandpass in a truck like this where the 40 section of the seat was removed, and it turned out very well. I'm telling you, setups like you have here can be very difficult to get it to sound good. The box type and location makes a huge difference in trucks like this.

x2 on this.

OP, if you're going to self tap ground like that, you need to sand/grind away the paint, where the entire ring terminal is making contact with bare metal. I would actually recommend using one of your seat bolt as a ground. I've unfortunately done a lot of self-tapped grounds back in the day, and they are awful, usually, quite honestly. They always seem to malfunction, comes loose, corrode. It can let moisture into the vehicle.

What voltage RCA outputs does your radio have?
Thanks buck. I tried grinding down the paint and securing the ground better with proper nuts, bolts, and washers and i also direct wired up the speaker wires to the amp to ensure i am getting full connection and it still is far too quiet, like the sub moves but barely. I am not too sure on the specs of my headunit, it's a pioneer double dib that I've had for close to 8 years and it's booked in and a ***** to get out to see the back.

I would totally do a series 6th order in a setup like this. Truck acoustics are weird. I've had several back seat pickup truck boxes, my first vehicle was an extended cab F150 that I did like 10 boxes in, tons of testing.

OP, have you ever considered removing half of your backseat and making a platform? I did a single DC level 4 12 in a series 6th order bandpass in a truck like this where the 40 section of the seat was removed, and it turned out very well. I'm telling you, setups like you have here can be very difficult to get it to sound good. The box type and location makes a huge difference in trucks like this.
I was thinking about making a platform and bolting everything down but i was really hoping to just upgrade the type r setup i had as simple as possible. The type r sounded really good and loud but something with this new setup is wonky. I would like to at least get the power to the sub and hear it before deciding on going all out on a serious box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...