New build is having an issue and I can't seem to troubleshoot it

LucaBrasiMN

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 13, 2021
Minnesota
Hey guys,
I just hooked up my new stuff and everything seems to turn on and stay on fine. But the problem is it is just not very loud. Like somewhere something is not getting enough power. Any music seems like its a 100 watt system and not 1200.

If I were to guess it is probably my janky speaker terminals or the ground isnt good enough. I tried a different ground and that didn't help.

Build is Skar 1200.1 wired to 1 ohm
12" DC Level 3

Here are some general pictures that may help someone find where my issue lies:

Attachments

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
Start with your ground. Looks like a small self-tapper into painted sheet metal.

Reactions: huberoy123 and Buck

metalheadjoe

10+ year member
Oct 21, 2007
ND
I can't tell where gain is set or what's going on at the amp's power terminals .

Reactions: huberoy123

LucaBrasiMN

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 13, 2021
Minnesota
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Start with your ground. Looks like a small self-tapper into painted sheet metal.
So I ran out of 0 ga and am pretty limited on where I place it without having to change the entire setup. Any suggestions on what I can do to that spot to make it better?

JRsmoothee

Think For Yourself, Question Authority - MJK
10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
Mmmm are your speaker wires going to box terminals secure...they look just twisted around your bolts

LucaBrasiMN

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 13, 2021
Minnesota
I can't tell where gain is set or what's going on at the amp's power terminals .
May be hard to tell in the picture. The gain I used a 50hz tone and could hear it enough to know where the distortion started. The LPF is ~80 and the subsonic is ~20

LucaBrasiMN

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 13, 2021
Minnesota
Mmmm are your speaker wires going to box terminals secure...they look just twisted around your bolts
They are in between the bolt/nut and a washer, all brass. I can tug on them both inside and out and they don't come loose.

JRsmoothee

10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
They are in between the bolt/nut and a washer, all brass. I can tug on them both inside and out and they don't come loose.
Lol no......put ring terminals on them

JRsmoothee

10+ year member
Aug 12, 2008
sitting on toilet
One of many

LucaBrasiMN

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 13, 2021
Minnesota
Tomorrow I will be stopping and getting a DMM and ring terminals after work and will ground down the sheet metal. Thanks guys.

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Orlando Area, FL
x2 on this.

OP, if you're going to self tap ground like that, you need to sand/grind away the paint, where the entire ring terminal is making contact with bare metal. I would actually recommend using one of your seat bolt as a ground. I've unfortunately done a lot of self-tapped grounds back in the day, and they are awful, usually, quite honestly. They always seem to malfunction, comes loose, corrode. It can let moisture into the vehicle.

What voltage RCA outputs does your radio have?

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Orlando Area, FL
I would totally do a series 6th order in a setup like this. Truck acoustics are weird. I've had several back seat pickup truck boxes, my first vehicle was an extended cab F150 that I did like 10 boxes in, tons of testing.

OP, have you ever considered removing half of your backseat and making a platform? I did a single DC level 4 12 in a series 6th order bandpass in a truck like this where the 40 section of the seat was removed, and it turned out very well. I'm telling you, setups like you have here can be very difficult to get it to sound good. The box type and location makes a huge difference in trucks like this.

LucaBrasiMN

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 13, 2021
Minnesota
x2 on this.

OP, if you're going to self tap ground like that, you need to sand/grind away the paint, where the entire ring terminal is making contact with bare metal. I would actually recommend using one of your seat bolt as a ground. I've unfortunately done a lot of self-tapped grounds back in the day, and they are awful, usually, quite honestly. They always seem to malfunction, comes loose, corrode. It can let moisture into the vehicle.

What voltage RCA outputs does your radio have?
Thanks buck. I tried grinding down the paint and securing the ground better with proper nuts, bolts, and washers and i also direct wired up the speaker wires to the amp to ensure i am getting full connection and it still is far too quiet, like the sub moves but barely. I am not too sure on the specs of my headunit, it's a pioneer double dib that I've had for close to 8 years and it's booked in and a ***** to get out to see the back.

LucaBrasiMN

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 13, 2021
Minnesota
I would totally do a series 6th order in a setup like this. Truck acoustics are weird. I've had several back seat pickup truck boxes, my first vehicle was an extended cab F150 that I did like 10 boxes in, tons of testing.

OP, have you ever considered removing half of your backseat and making a platform? I did a single DC level 4 12 in a series 6th order bandpass in a truck like this where the 40 section of the seat was removed, and it turned out very well. I'm telling you, setups like you have here can be very difficult to get it to sound good. The box type and location makes a huge difference in trucks like this.
I was thinking about making a platform and bolting everything down but i was really hoping to just upgrade the type r setup i had as simple as possible. The type r sounded really good and loud but something with this new setup is wonky. I would like to at least get the power to the sub and hear it before deciding on going all out on a serious box.

LucaBrasiMN

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 13, 2021
Minnesota
I think my problem starts here. My last system was so weak that i assumed since it was using 0 ga that i was good to just upgrade but i think that isn't the case. The 0ga power was just attached to the small stud with a ring terminal. And no added 0ga ran from neg to chassis.

Attachments

LucaBrasiMN

CarAudio.com Recruit
Oct 13, 2021
Minnesota
You can get bigger battery terminals that have more bolt-on places for wires.

Seriously man, look up your radio and figure out what the RCA output voltage is on it.
So I got the h/u out and looked up the model number and it says it is preamp outlet of 2V. This is my issue huh.. Should I be looking into a line driver or what are my options here?

Buck

[email protected]
Pro Seller
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
May 19, 2008
Orlando Area, FL
So I got the h/u out and looked up the model number and it says it is preamp outlet of 2V. This is my issue huh.. Should I be looking into a line driver or what are my options here?
What’s the RCA voltage your amp can handle?

I’d say radio or line booster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds