Need some Electrical Help!

Participant count
  • Participants list

bgolightly82
10+ year member

I apologize because I know this information is out there, but I can't seem to find the Formulas for figuring it out. I am going to be running 2 12" T3 T.2000's (2k+ rms) 2 American Bass PH4000MD's (2k+ rms) and components w/ 4 channel (roughly 500rms). Currently have all 2/0 Neoprene Cable, still in need of Alt and Batt's. So heres my questions. I have an 03 Grand Am (small housing alt w/ no room to spare) so there are a few choices...either buy a 220A for it, which I can pick up fairly cheap...or go with Mechman's 270A, which cost a fortune. Does the 50A really make that much of a difference? Can I just make up for that in Batt's? I know the MM Alt's are ******, but I'm on a budget. Also, say I went with the 220...what size batt's should I go with? Keep in mind this a Daily setup, possibly with the "occassional" comp, but I doubt it, so it's pretty much only going to be playing while it's running. And what about the alt's that are made for like the 5.7L V8's? Is the only thing stopping me from using them the mounting? If that's the case I can make different mounting brackets. I would just appreciate some clarification before I go drop 1k+ on alt and batts. Thanks.

Try dc power Alts they may have a bigger alt, but 270 is decent plus they normally put out a little more. I look at it this way don't cheap out on your electrical cause doing so can cost you more than doing it right. If u burn you amps your out xxxx money where as u could've saved up a little longer and got the better equipment.

The mech man will put out more at idle than the generic which is what u really look for in an alt.

agreed that output at idle is important. otherwise you'll still drop voltage at stop lights. the larger alt will probably make enough of a difference to be worth it.

you'll want a couple of batteries as well, one small batt won't be up to the task.

Ohio Generator is another good source, but not cheap either.

There may be compatibility with different alts, depends on what GM was thinking then. maybe the same year vehicle would work, but the ECM might not like it. larger alts put a larger load on the engine as well, so expect a drop in available power and fuel economy when your system is up.

Thanks for the help guys. But does anyone know what mathematical equation I would use to figure out exactly what size Alt. and Batt's I will need with the power that I will be running?

We don't know how much power you will actually draw until you install and setup the system. Power ratings are meaningless unless you play test tones at full tilt while driving. Music is dynamic and power output is usually a fraction of what your system is capable of. All depends in impedance load, source signal strength, gain setting, supply voltage, and volume knob. Your alt will only supply what is needed by the car and system.

Get the largest one you can fit and afford.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.