Need Some Advice on my Setup

nictowey

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi Everyone!

I came here to see if anyone that's more knowledgeable than me could help with this issue. I am currently running 2 Alpine Type R's on a Polk Audio D1000.1 amp. I had this installed at a car stereo shop and had them tune the amp, however I have blown 2 sets of them already so 4 subs. I had the shop tune the amp twice and after the first time they blew I got a custom box built. I can't figure out why this keeps happening and currently I think the best option is to look at other equipment. I am pretty set on the sundown sa 12's for my next subs but I cannot figure out the right amp for them. I'll be upgrading my battery to an XS power battery to make sure the amp has enough power. Currently I've been seeing a lot about the JP23 amp from down4sound, but can't find much info on it and the videos I've seen have very mixed reviews. I'm looking for something that will power these subs correctly so I can finally be done with this process and have something that does not overheat and blow quickly. I look forward to reading the responses :)

Thank you

Probably clipping the subwoofers to death trying to get enough power out of a 1k amp for two 750rms subwoofers would be my guess.

I know nothing about this shop or how they set gains so this is just a guess.

More Information on the vehicle and power supply/ batteries and dimensions of the sub box and tuning needed. Stock radio or aftermarket? Model # and Brands. Stock Alternator? If so what amperage? Running another amplifier for mids and highs or running off radio/hu? Using an LOC off stock HU? Ect. More information and a realistic budget

Type R subs really get down in the properly tuned enclosure with the correct amount of power. Those subs are some of the best in the market. Are they the Best? No But they do perform very well installed correctly and powered correctly. I never liked my SA12s. I built several boxes and even had a couple made and never got what I wanted out of them. Bought a pair of XFL 12s and never looked back

More Information on the vehicle and power supply/ batteries and dimensions of the sub box and tuning needed. Stock radio or aftermarket? Model # and Brands. Stock Alternator? If so what amperage? Running another amplifier for mids and highs or running off radio/hu? Using an LOC off stock HU? Ect. More information and a realistic budget
My car is a 2017 Honda Accord LX. I have a separate kenwood amp for my mids and highs. The alternator and battery are stock and I have an aftermarket Sony XAVAX radio. The sub box is custom built by the speaker shop I’m not exactly sure on the dimensions I also did not watch the tuning of the amp

Also my budget for everything subs a new amp and battery is 1000-1300 probably

Just like previously stated you are trying to get more out of the subs than you can because of your sub par install and tiny amp. You're turning it up way to loud in other words. Type R's arrrrgghhh good subs. Used to be THE **** here years ago. 100 percent user error. You need a new, better, bigger amp, and a better box built for those subs and the output you want. It's that's simple.

Just like previously stated you are trying to get more out of the subs than you can because of your sub par install and tiny amp. You're turning it up way to loud in other words. Type R's arrrrgghhh good subs. Used to be THE **** here years ago. 100 percent user error. You need a new, better, bigger amp, and a better box built for those subs and the output you want. It's that's simple.
The box is built and tuned to the type Rs I got that situation taken care of. what kind of amp would you recommend for the type rs? I might have gone too far into the "over marketed" side of car audio looking at sundown subs and I started realizing that so I came here.

My car is a 2017 Honda Accord LX. I have a separate kenwood amp for my mids and highs. The alternator and battery are stock and I have an aftermarket Sony XAVAX radio. The sub box is custom built by the speaker shop I’m not exactly sure on the dimensions I also did not watch the tuning of the amp
That Honda has an ELD on that alternator that drops voltage to save fuel.The only way I found to help keep voltage up without doing the ELD By-pass was to do the big 3, and place two 34/78 agm batteries for a 1500 rms sub stage and approx 175rms front stage.My stock alternator on my CRV was a 110 amp alternator and I ran @2ohms.I cooked two amplifiers before researching the Voltage issues. Keep-Hope-Alive had a write up on it and how to by-pass that ELD.May be on a Honda Forum.Used to be on here at one time

You need to get the dimensions for that sun enclosure to find a suitable pair of subs for it , or build to suit the new to get the performance out of them. First is to get a plan on exactly what amp/amps you are going to use and get your electrical situated to have the supply for the demand. It takes power to make power as Ive always said. You cannot cut corners in this vehicle especially with all these newer vehicles and the electronics that go with it.

Also my budget for everything subs a new amp and battery is 1000-1300 probably
That may be a little low of a budget, but can be done. Dont expect to get the best for your $. Its going to take some funds to get your electrical done to handle some power needed for what you want.You may get bye with approx $500 bucks or a little less for your electrical if you do most yourself.. maybe $100 bucks more due to the cost of things going up due to Covid issues for things being in stock.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...