Need ideas! Get Crazy!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

AndyGiff

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hi everyone!  I have had a thread going on in General discussion about a new audio setup I would like to do.  I am still a little bit of a noob but I am reading and learning as much as I can as I go along.  Jeffdachef and a few others helped me out a ton on choosing speakers etc for my new setup.  Well everything is already on the way and I am good to go in that department and will be starting my doors soon.  I wanted to get some ideas from you guys on different sub locations other then the trunk.  I have a Alpine Type SWR-1242D  ( I am not opposed to going to another sub or size really as long as it will really fill in those low notes, but would be great using the one I have already )  that I am running currently and was trying to think of places other then the trunk itself for an enclosure.  Now that my dad is disabled I really really need my trunk space for medical devices etc.  So far I've thought about redoing my armrest area and extending it ( tearing out current one and making a new one from wood / fiberglass)  to meet the back seats and using it as a sealed sub enclosure with some drink holders and other stuff that I would love to have in my armrest area ( phone holder, smoke spot, etc etc ).  I have also thought about maybe the rear deck with an enclosure built underneath it that does not go all the way to the trunk floor but maybe like halfway or something like that.  Another idea someone had mentioned was placing a sub or two in the actual seat cushion that your back rests against, with the rear of the speaker into the trunk free air.  So I am looking for crazy ideas!!!  I have tried looking up civic installs for my type of car but have not really found much.  So.....Post your crazy ideas here please!!  If you know someone who has actually done it or have pictures of examples, please share them!!  Know someone that makes crazy boxes for cars in odd places?  Let me know who it is!!  Any info is good info!  I do truly appreciate everyone's input!  

Thank you guys!!!

My car

2005 Honda Civic LX 4 door

The back seats fold down, one is the size of a passenger seat, the other is passenger seat plus the middle seat ( The parts that fold down ).  I maybe have passengers in the back seat twice a year if that.  I will try to attach some pics of the interior below.  Wanted to post some pics of mine but it is pouring out at the moment so...

Now I would prefer sealed as it doesn't require as much space, don't have to worry about a port, so can make some crazy shapes if needed and I do enjoy the tighter accurate sounding tones.  But!  Let me hear all of your opinions and ideas, even if they sound crazy!  It may lead to giving me another idea lol!!  I really want to do something different and unique with this if I can.

I couldn't find a great rear deck pick, but the 01-05 models I believe are all the same.

Front area.jpg

reardeck.jpg

Foldeddownseats.jpg

Back Area.JPG

Single 8" in a t-line. Will play everything you throw at it.
I am sure it will, but the issue at hand is where to put it at?  Thanks for your input!  I got a funny one for you as well.  As you see from my post I still consider myself a novice.  When I first saw a Transmission line box post I thought it was a box that went along your drive axle in your vehicle lol.  Now, I know what one is now but was kinda funny lol.  With my current skills I would probably have to build like twenty of them before I got it right lol.

I need ideas everyone!  Any input or examples would be greatly appreciated!

I am sure it will, but the issue at hand is where to put it at?  Thanks for your input!  I got a funny one for you as well.  As you see from my post I still consider myself a novice.  When I first saw a Transmission line box post I thought it was a box that went along your drive axle in your vehicle lol.  Now, I know what one is now but was kinda funny lol.  With my current skills I would probably have to build like twenty of them before I got it right lol.

I need ideas everyone!  Any input or examples would be greatly appreciated!
I'm currently running one. Only downfall is it takes a bigger box than a normal sub box because of the length of the port. Approx 3 cu ft here vs I would think a 1/3 of a reg ported box. View attachment 5294

I'm currently running one. Only downfall is it takes a bigger box than a normal sub box because of the length of the port. Approx 3 cu ft here vs I would think a 1/3 of a reg ported box. View attachment 5294
Dont get me wrong I would love to rock something like that, but really need to minimize space that is required for the sub.  Looking up some stuff at the moment on designs but I think my only options at the moment would be the console ( or console plus extending it into the back seat as an armrest / drink holder , could still fit people in back if needed ) or Infinite baffle in rear deck.  Taking a look at some other subs at the moment and requirements.  Are the Solo Barics the only sub that acts like an Isobaric enclosure?  Only needing half the air space as sealed?  What are some brands of subs made for sealed enclosures specifically  ( still learning about all the non mainstream brands ) ?  I will be doing a lot of reading on it this evening so I may come up with some more stuff / ideas.  I appreciate you guys giving me some input!

B pillar wall with 2 DDZ 18s and 2 10ks
Love that bird! lol   I did tear out the back seats in my 2 door mustang once and put two 15" punch back there ( every customer knew when the pizza man arrived lol ), one behind each front seat and made it level with the rear deck.  Not sure I want to go that big again lol, plus no room for the drunks lol.  I am in my 40s now though so cant be tearing out my back seats lol.  Although!  I would not be against making the butt portion or back portion of the seats into an enclosure or IB into the trunk!  Hmmm butt cushion enclosure with proper padding on top might be doable.  Would probably need to go with something smaller than a 12 though, unless I used the cushion area for the enclosure and had the 12 coming up out of the middle seat in the back, hmmm hehe.  See how one idea can turn into another? lol

Ideally would like to keep it to one sub if possible that can handle a large amount of power and sound clean.  I am going to be running 3 way active in the front ( around 1k-1400 watts rms for the 3 way set up ) so I want the sub to be able to keep up with it.  I listen to everything from rock, thrash, metal, classical, hip hop, rap, r&b, etc so I am all over the place in music, just no country music really.  So far in my mind the center console ( gear shift back to armrest and space in between armrest and back seat ), with it possibly stretching into the back seat ( middle seat in back ) as an armrest is winning in my head, the cushion thing I think would be very interesting indeed  ( think it would look nice as well, as long as I can match the cars interior properly ).  Took a good look at the rear deck today, and man that will be a pain in the ass to pull out and remake, especially with the seat belt supports etc in the rear deck itself.

Thank you guys for the input!  Anyone checking this out, feel free to put out some ideas or examples!  No info is bad, it leads me to read on what you post and I learn even more, so it helps me out either way!!

to get any proper output you need to have subs very far away from the listening position and the bass has to reflect off a solid wall futhest away from you.   This is why we have the sub firing to the trunk.    The only other course of option if you need trunk space is to give up rear seats and do a walled setup.

For the sub I went down to a 10".  I made a test box and put it in different areas of my car to see if it sounded good or not etc.  I was going to make a sealed armrest enclosure in the back seat, with the sub firing up and a little to the rear.  It sounded good in testing even at full volume, and the nice thing would be that I can actually move it easily to put the back seats down if I need to.  What do you think?  I have seen a ton of enclosures on instagram etc where people did console boxes or rear seat armrest enclosures ( all sealed I believe ) and thought it would be the way to go for my situation as well.  Worst case is I do a fiberglass enclosure in trunk in the side well but then his wheelchair would not fit.  Honestly though if I have to have a box back in my trunk I would really want it ported.  But in the end, after all my crazy ideas in my head on where to put the sub, the rear seat armrest idea seemed like the best solution and an easy option to build.

It did sound really good though and I left the box in my backseat for a few days listening time.  Let me know what you think?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.