Need help with subs and an enclosire.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Khammett1962
10+ year member

Recently my system was stolen. I'm replacing it but I'm taking a different route this time. I had 2 12inch 1300 watt Xplodes in a ported box. I listen more to hard rock/thrash metal with some classical and jazz. I was getting to overpowered and could never get the EQ and volume set right for the mix. Always ended up muddy. Now I want more room in my trunk. I am thinking about getting 2 of the Infinity Kappa 100.9W's and powering them with the Infinity KAPPA ONE amp. I have their 6x9's and 4x6's in my car right now and I like the crisp, clearness of the sound. I know I want to go with a sealed box this time. I know they wont be as loud as my ported was but my understanding from what I have learned over the years is: Sealed will give me cleaner, more accurate bass, wont overpower, and still be able to give me the fast heavy punch of the double bass in metal. I'm going for sound quality these days, not loudness so much anymore. Will theses subs be a good choice for clarity and correct sound reproduction? If I get those, what sealed enclosure should I get to put in my trunk? I'm getting all my stuff from Sonic Electronix but I'm willing to get the box anywhere else.

well first of all you should thank those guys that took your explode just kidding. sealed will give you deeper bass but you will need more power compared to a ported box, if the box is done right and you have an good sub it will perform to what you need, if you have space for ported do ported you can tune it to what you like.

Honestly those infinitys in a sealed box will prolly be louder than the ported Sonys and they will sound waaaayyy better the amp is good as well but you can prolly find an amp that will do the job for less money. Though I was honestly going to run the exact setup you are talking about: kappa1, kappa4, reference6.5s and kappa 10s sealed up but decided to go for a louder system that cost me only a lil more iirc all the infinity stuff was going to cost like 1300 retail were as all my American bass stuff cost under 1k

Those Xplodes, They were really really freaking loud and had deep bass. Everyone, especially car audio freaks were blown away by them. I guess just the perfect setup of equipment for them. So maybe I should go with something else? I love my infinity's I have already and I heard great things about the accuracy of their subs. That's most important to me. Not volume, clarity, accurate sound reproduction. I want to hear and feel the bass really well in my car. Not one of those that want to bug the heck out of people as I go down the road.

Those Xplodes, They were really really freaking loud and had deep bass. Everyone, especially car audio freaks were blown away by them. I guess just the perfect setup of equipment for them. So maybe I should go with something else? I love my infinity's I have already and I heard great things about the accuracy of their subs. That's most important to me. Not volume, clarity, accurate sound reproduction. I want to hear and feel the bass really well in my car. Not one of those that want to bug the heck out of people as I go down the road.
Trust me the silver cone infinitys are great the kappas are to but I really like the reference line for the money

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.