Need help with dual amp installation

Participant count
  • Participant list
I can tell you now that you will be fine using one 4ga power run with 8ga out of the distribution block, but if you plan on upgrading your stuff in the future - may as well spend the extra coin now. I have all knukonceptz wiring in my car, 0ga/4ga. If you need a recommendation, I suggest their kolossus power/ground wire and krystal rca.
Yeah that's why I suggested 0 and 4 gauge. For future upgrades. Or he could be like me with a run of 4 and 8 looking like a huge waste of money.

Sorry, just saw your question. Power wire and speaker wire are not generally the same size. Power/ground wire get thicker as power demands rise and/or wire needs to be longer. Speaker wire, in most cases, is much thinner at 12ga. 10ga is thickest I've seen I think. If a shop half asses the install, they may put speaker wire thinner than 12ga. Stick with 12ga speaker wire, you'll be fine.

Ok thanks, but say I have 8 ga power wire and 8 ga speaker wire, are they the same? I've done a bit of googling and half the people say they are the same, but the other half say they're different.

If both are using the same standard, such as the AWG (American Wire Gauge), then they both should be the same thickness. Though that is not to say they can or should be used interchangeably. Additionally, most speaker terminals will not accept 8ga speaker wire anyway.

OK, I think I have my final list of parts. Along with the previous listed parts, I picked out these. All of these parts are from knukoncepts, except for the last two.

Positive and negative battery terminals $20

2 way distribution block with two 100A fuses (Are the fuses right? Or should I get different ones?) $15

Inline waterproof ANL fuse holder with 300A fuse for power wire $20

Kolossus Flex Black Power Wire 1/0 Gauge 20ft $79

Kolossus Flex Black Power Wire 4 Gauge 25ft $39

Kolossus 18 Gauge Remote Wire 30ft $3

Karma SS 10 Gauge Speaker Wire 35ft $38

Karma SS 12 Gauge Speaker Wire 10ft $7.50

Krystal Kable 2M 3.5mm Wire $7

Krystal Kable 2 6M Shielded RCA Cable $20

3000GT wiring harness from 3si $13

3/4" MDF 49"x97" from Lowe's $35

The total for all the parts I plan on getting is $1,040. A bit more than I had hoped to spend, but quality parts are worth the extra dough. I think this is everything I need, are there are parts I am blatantly missing? I don't think I will need any crimp terminals or anything like that. I have a bunch of tools (soldering iron, crimper, etc.) that I can borrow from somebody.

I have their inline ANL fuse holder, kolussus power wire, all krystal kable runs and no issues with anything after 7 years. The only thing I am not a fan of is their distribution blocks. The plastic cover always comes off. It'll work even without it, but I'd just get it at a local shop or even Frys. I see that total is including the stuff you previously mentioned. It's not a bad setup by any means, but one that can be topped easily and still stay within the budget. I would first advise against the 6x9s - I'm guessing those are going in the back? The Kappa comps are supposed to be ok, but I see a lot of people recommend some image dynamics comps in the same price range. A friend of mine just installed pioneer ts-d1702c comps in his mustang, those are pretty sweet at just $100 on Amazon. If you're open to other things, let us know and we'll suggest something. Also, let us know what your goal/vision is with your system? Loud as possible? Musical? A little bit of both?

Hi again, I thought I posted my preferences but that must have been on a different forum/thread. Anyway, I am a sound quality kind of guy. Now with a setup like this I still want to be able to turn up my music pretty loud, but again I value sound quality over volume. I listen to a wide variety of music, from rap to rock to reggae and sometimes techno.

The 693.9i's will be going in the back, on Amazon a set is only $85 with free shipping. I am always open to suggestions, I would prefer to stick with the same company for front and rear speakers though. I chose Infinity because I have heard great things about them, have heard a couple Infinity systems and was impressed, and have seen really good reviews online for them. Both sets of speakers have pretty much all four or five star customer reviews with only one or two bad reviews.

I will look around for other distribution blocks, thanks again for the references.

Oh also, some of the price comes from having more powerful amps than needed. I left room for future upgrades, just in case. My sub amp will put out up to 800RMS (sub is 600) and my speaker amp will do 150RMS x 4 (speakers are 110 and 90).

For sound quality, I would definitely omit the rear speakers all together. That gives you extra 85 to work with. For awesome quality equipment, checkout Welcome to [soundQubed] - [ Your source for Clarity, Quality and Anything Car Audio.] - amps and subs. A friend of mine has their 4ch amp and it's absolutely awesome, and more powerful than the pioneer. I have the mono 1200W amp and it's solid. Another friend has their HDS312 sub and that is truly amazing. For sound quality and still being loud, put one of those subs ($159 shipped) into a sealed box powered by their 1200W monoblock. Where I would expand the budget is your front components, that's the integral part of your system and the one you will treasure the most. I own $1500 audiophile grade comps and that's all I run, I am not sorry for getting them at all and they are amazing. If you can give the total budget, I can suggest some other components, but I think those are by far the most important piece of the system and I'm not sure kappas are it.

Hm, you bring up a good point that never crossed my mind. Not sure if you're familiar with the interior of a 3000GT, but it's relatively small (two door hatchback with rear sits big enough for only a child or two) and the rear speakers are mounted to the sides of the rear seats. They are just behind the front seats, the rear driverside speaker is maybe a foot away from my head when I'm driving. They face toward the front, directly behind the rear seats is the trunk which is where I plan to put the sub and an amp.

Now I've been doing a bit of research on running only front speakers and I'm seeing a lot of different answers, honestly I am one of those people who prefers to be surrounded by music, now I hear that the soundwaves should reverb around in the car and make it sound like this with just the fronts, but I feel like rears would still add to it. On the other hand, not installing rear speakers would save a ton of time, getting to them would require me to take half the interior out.

As for your sub suggestions, that thing looks like an absolute beast. The only concern I have with it is that my stock alt will not generate enough power for that sucker. Hell one of those alone would probably be too much for my car.

My total budget is what the price is at now, just about $1k. I just bought this car not too long ago and I'm a relatively broke college kid, so even $1k is kinda pushing it.

I'm not sure what your alternator is like. I have a honda accord and I think my alt is 130A max, which is decent. I run the 1200W amp and an arc audio (almost 700W)amp and my lights never dim. Keep in mind that you can always turn the sub volume down, and then up again if you want to get loud. I think you should omit the rear speakers in your initial installation and just use 2 channels of the 4 channel amp. If you decide the sound isn't where it needs to be, add rear speakers later. To maintain a proper sound stage, I think it is recommended to limit the frequency response (and volume) of the rear speakers. I definitely think you should put more focus into the front speakers. If you do it right, you should be happy. If not, can always add more stuff later.

3kGT's OEM alt is 110A, I believe.

If I decide not to get rears, what front components would you suggest for around $200? I am open to this idea, and I want to see what all of my options are.

I took a quick look at the 1200watt amp you suggested, it looks nice but I don't think I can afford it. I would love to get that sub you mentioned, maybe after college once I start making some real $.

Lastly, I have heard that it is not good to mount an amp directly on the sub box. I'm considering mounting both amps on the back of my folding rear seats, which will be a couple inches away from the box. They should be fine there, right? When folded up, the back of the seats have an angle like an "\", so the amps will be tilted like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so I have a general idea, are you installing all this yourself or does the $1k budget include installation by a shop? I think that you may be overdoing it with the wiring, I think you can choose cheaper knukonceptz options - you can do 4ga and 8ga wire instead of 0 and 4. When you start making more money, you can upgrade the wire then, if needed. Try to get a lower total for wiring, trust me. It's not worth getting better wire at the expense of getting cheaper equipment. Let me know what you're doing about the install and we'll go from there. Also, box? Prefab or custom? Ported or sealed? From where?

I plan on installing everything myself. I have tools I can borrow from somebody, and I plan on making a custom box out of 3/4" MDF and carpeting it to match my interior. I was originally going to go ported, but I don't think I'm going to have room for that in my trunk so I'm gonna go sealed, and use RF's optimum dimensions.

I think you may be right about the wiring, I saw a couple tables that recommended wiring gauge by power and length. I'll see if I can find them again.

According to my calculations:

1. Wiring - $150 tops

2. Q1-1200D - $270

3. HDS312 - $160

4. 2 or 4 ch amp - ?

5. comps - ?

If I'm right, You have at least $420 left for comps and amp for them. You can get something decent.

What year is your 3000GT? I'll try to see what speakers fit you.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.