Need help with dual amp installation

Participant count
  • Participant list
These are the speakers I see recommended most around this price point:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ctx65cs - Image Dynamics 6.5" Component Speaker System

I've never personally heard them. Most purchases I've made for myself and others have been based on reviews, never personal experience. I'm yet to be disappointed in anything. Though if you have the privilege of listening to some sets yourself, take advantage of that. Pioneer TS-D1702c for $100 shipped on amazon was an absolute steal and my friend loves them, but everyone has their own personal taste. Alpine type-r is also very loud and clear speaker. Based on reviews, looks like image dynamics is the clear winner if you want to spend that, but I think with cutting back on the wire and doing your own box and install, they can be within your budget. I also say look into a ported box. Here's my friend's box before it was carpeted, it's about 2 cu ft total:

My car is a '94 SL 5spd. It does not have the factory Infinity radio, and has a single, double-DIN sized head unit.

I was actually looking at the Type-R's a while ago, I have also heard good things about them.

That's a really nice ported box but there's no way I can fit anything like that in my trunk without blocking my rear view. The tallest I can make the box is maybe ten or so inches. Something this size would also fit under my cargo cover, and keeping my sub hidden would be a huge plus. I plan on getting an alarm system (looking at the Avital 3300 right now) but the best defense against a break in is to not let anyone see my equipment.

I will keep looking around at speakers, and keep your suggestions in mind. Even if I don't end up getting those speakers, I still appreciate your input.

It's a mercedes, right? Your initial setup had a 12" RF woofer, how are you building a box that's 10"? I know these are only recommendations, you can definitely get whatever you like.

No, Mitsubishi. The recommended sealed box size for the RF P3D212 is 14"x18"x10". I would lay the box down so the shortest side is facing up. This would result in the sub firing upwards.

OK, I removed my spare and took some measurements of my trunk...

So after a bit of research I have concluded the best way to get nice sound from a sub is to have it facing the rear of the car, in the rear of the trunk.

Without my spare and the fake floor, I have a little over 13" of space at the highest point in my trunk... This means that if I create a fake floor out of MDF and use some carpeting, I'll have roughly 12.5"-13" of vertical space... RF's optimum sealed box height is 14", so if I use a 13" or so height and make it a bit deeper to get the same cubic feet, I should be good.

My car doesn't have a jack anyways so a spare tire is of no use to me.

That's correct, firing toward the rear. I think you're in 1 10" category. You can make a box for it to spec, just make it wider rather than taller. I still stand by soundqubed hds 10. Btw check out cdtaudio.com spring specials for comps. I think all this is doable for your budget.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.