Need advice on proper installation.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Al3xander

NY
Okay, so with the advice of other users on these forums, I have come to the unfortunate realization that my amp has been blown, and it is time to install another one. Unfortunately, again, my realm of expertise in this area is minimal, so I'm going to need some help. In addition to that, my amp, I think, has somewhat of an unorthodox installation. As in, it doesn't use RCA cables, and it is hooked up to the stock head unit, which doesn't even have RCA hook-ups. I'm not willing to buy a new HU, and I don't want to run additional RCA cables, so all installation advice needs to be in accordance with that. I want to make this as simple as possible and unhook this broken Kenwood amp and just do a direct swap. With that said, let's begin.

As you can see, I have the ground wire, positive, remote start on one side along with all 8 wires for my speakers that are hooked up directly to the amp in lieu of RCA cables. I did not do this installation, this is the way the amp was installed and the car came when I bought it. So, anyway, that's one side. And that side, I feel like I could easily just rehook everything to a new amp without much confusion.

However, the other side of the amp has this bundle of wires running into the amp from underneath the rug of my car as seen in one of the pictures. I have no idea what to do with this bundle of wires. Do I just cut it? I'm assuming no because it seems important since it is running under my car's carpet with the rest of the wires, but I don't understand what it's for, how to disconnect it, or even how to reconnect it to the new amp unlike the other side of the amp which looks pretty standard. Notice it is next to where the RCA cable hookups would go. Advice? Comments?

EDIT: Idc about how many watts it is, how bangin' of a system it is, I just want a radio. Like seriously, I'll get a $40 Walmart brand one that I can just take and reconnect all the wires to for a simple plug and play experience that will restore sound to my car. After researching a little bit, that "bundle of wires" that I mentioned is the Speaker Level Input wires that allow an amp to be wired directly to stock head units. Is this a common feature on amps, and how do I go about successfully wiring this? Is there an adapter that I can hook these up to and connect to the RCA inputs to save me effort? I'm really clueless and this is stressing me out. Any help is greatly GREATLY appreciated.

EDIT 2: Also, from my research, most speaker level inputs that I've seen seem to come in a plug, such as seen here, http://s659.photobucket.com/user/rubibluejay/media/AlpineMRP-F600SpeakerLevelInputPlug.jpg.html why doesn't mine have this "plug"? It seems like mine is running directly into the amp, which isn't making sense to me based on the pictures that I've seen. What should I do here? How do I remedy this?

Last edited by a moderator:
your amp uses line level inputs from the stock headunit for the signal source. if you can run RCA cables and install an aftermarket headunit with RCA outputs, or get one installed, it'll make swapping out the amp for something better a multitude easier.

the install is questionably done, and may be one of the reasons why the amp failed. I'm referring to the way the power and ground are run. if you're willing to put a little time in you can replace that wiring with something better and make the install much cleaner.

avoid amp brands such as sony, boss, and low quality hifonics

Last question for the night before I check back tomorrow, *sigh*....

If I have the speaker level-inputs hardwired to my amp (as seen in the second picture) than what are all the wires (besides the positive, negative and remote start) in the first picture? I don't have subs or anything like that, and I removed the door panels and it even has stock speakers, so what is that even all about? If I have the speaker level-input wires running to the amp, isn't the amp just powering the stock speakers? Are the other wires meaningless? Should I just get a cheap amp that doesn't have as many hook-ups, like the aforementioned SONY, as long as it has a speaker level-input connection? But again, how do I go about getting this connector/plug/adapter thing that seems to be near universal?

your amp uses line level inputs from the stock headunit for the signal source. if you can run RCA cables and install an aftermarket headunit with RCA outputs, or get one installed, it'll make swapping out the amp for something better a multitude easier.
the install is questionably done, and may be one of the reasons why the amp failed. I'm referring to the way the power and ground are run. if you're willing to put a little time in you can replace that wiring with something better and make the install much cleaner.
Thanks for the input, but as I mentioned in the original post, that's not an option. I'm broke, dude, I don't have money for that. I just want a radio. :/

alright, get something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-KTP-445U-4-channel-Power-Amplifier/dp/B003VVYL46
you'll need to do some reading of the manual to get the wiring set up properly, just match the wires accordingly from the old amp to the new. there are other brands that make these, but id imagine alpine would be the one to make actual power output per their rating

edit; new link with the correct universal model
I'm completely clueless. That link to the amp doesn't seem to have the hook-ups that my current amp does. I've installed new HU's before, and I can splice wires and do that kinda stuff, but what about the speaker input wires and the other wires and just, argh, so many wires, I really need it broken down with exactly what to do. From the answers/questions to the link you gave me, this seems to be a plug and play for alpine decks, which I don't have.

I'm completely clueless. That link to the amp doesn't seem to have the hook-ups that my current amp does. I've installed new HU's before, and I can splice wires and do that kinda stuff, but what about the speaker input wires and the other wires and just, argh, so many wires, I really need it broken down with exactly what to do. From the answers/questions to the link you gave me, this seems to be a plug and play for alpine decks, which I don't have.
you'll splice your power, ground, and remote wires into the alpine harness accordingly, as well as the speaker level inputs from your headunit. you'll need to take note of how they're oriented currently. then you'll just transfer the speaker outputs into the output of the alpine harness and you're done with the wiring its just whatever the manual says about gain

im having trouble getting a good link, but you do need the u model, so its KTP-445U which i guess is more expensive, i was trying to get the cheaper one but i guess you need the U with the speaker level inputs

you'll splice your power, ground, and remote wires into the alpine harness accordingly, as well as the speaker level inputs from your headunit. you'll need to take note of how they're oriented currently. then you'll just transfer the speaker outputs into the output of the alpine harness and you're done with the wiring its just whatever the manual says about gain
im having trouble getting a good link, but you do need the u model, so its KTP-445U which i guess is more expensive, i was trying to get the cheaper one but i guess you need the U with the speaker level inputs
Yeah, I can't afford a new HU at the moment :/

Yeah, I can't afford a new HU at the moment :/
using line level inputs will use your current headunit. RCA outputs generally come from aftermarket headunits

is this amp powering your door speakers or a sub.. i might be confused here. if its a sub, you can buy a mono amp thats pretty cheap.

using line level inputs will use your current headunit. RCA outputs generally come from aftermarket headunits

is this amp powering your door speakers or a sub.. i might be confused here. if its a sub, you can buy a mono amp thats pretty cheap.
Just the door speakers. No sub. Everything is stock except this god **** amp this guy installed for no reason. Could I use this adapter, AXXESS 2Channel Line Output Converter AX-MLOC725 - Best Buy and just wire the stock Speaker Level Input wires to this, which would enable me to simply plug them into an RCA port on a cheap amp? But again, then what are all the wires running to the side of the amp with the ground on it? Are those just wires that he may have had running to subs at some point?

He has a power wire,ground wire,remote wire running to your amp along with wires going from the amp to the stock highs. The other wires on the other side is wires that are coming from the OEM HU to the line input side of the amp.. You might be able to bypass the amp by figuring out your positive and negative wires one by one from the input side and connect them to the out put side one by one and see if you get sound.. This would bypass the amp completely and run off the OEM HU..

Sent from my DL718M using Tapatalk

He has a power wire,ground wire,remote wire running to your amp along with wires going from the amp to the stock highs. The other wires on the other side is wires that are coming from the OEM HU to the line input side of the amp.. You might be able to bypass the amp by figuring out your positive and negative wires one by one from the input side and connect them to the out put side one by one and see if you get sound.. This would bypass the amp completely and run off the OEM HU..
Okay, so couple questions here. You said the other wires are stock highs? What does that mean? I understand that the "bundle of wires" that I referenced are the wires running from my OEM HU to the amp, which ultimately are what make sound occur in the speakers, but these "stock highs" you mentioned are what? In my head, I envisioned taking the Speaker Level Input wires (the input side), using an RCA converter, and then hooking that up to a new amp. I assumed the other wires, as you call them "stock highs" were relics of a previous installation or components that are no longer in the car. Please elaborate. If I could attach these wires and produce sound, bypassing the amp, I would be PERFECTLY okay with that. You've given me hope. Please, go on.

Those other wires are going to the speakers that are in there right now.. (I'm assuming the stock speakers)
Hmmm.... okay, so that makes sense. I know that I'm uneducated in this kind of stuff, so I appreciate you pretty much spelling it out for me. I mean, in theory, that would make sense. Just reconnect the wires, and bam, back in business. It appears that the wires are all the same color w/o any indication for what goes where. Is there anyway to figure out their proper placement besides trial and error? Also, by doing this, I will need the car running to see if speakers come on. Do I run the risk of blowing speakers or causing some kind of short circuit as I test them out and try to match them all up correctly? And yes, they're all stock speakers.

It's late now, midnight, and I have to be up for work at 6am, but tomorrow, after work, I'm going to try that, bypassing the amp completely. I will post my results tomorrow.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.