Noob needs help with new system and compatibility

Participant count
  • Participant list

Skinzy98

So I have a 2001 mustang with the mach 460 system. I know that it runs on 8- ohms and needs to be rewired with new amps to get after market speakers to work. I'm looking at purchasing a Kenwood kac-8406 4 channel amp that puts out 900 wats max. I want to hook up my two pairs of 6x8 kicker 41DSC684 d-series 400 watt 2 way 4 ohm subs with tweeters. I would like to hook up my two kicker 41cst204 3/4" cs series tweeters to my Sony head unit which puts out around 175 watts. Is this a decent setup. Will the 6x8 kickers subs with tweeter work well with that amp? I am extremely new to car audio but I love high quality sound (very into it in the mobile phone world. No my way around an equalizer decently). My car right now is super bassy because there are four subs stock from Ford and only two tweeters. Any help? Sorry if this is a basic question i m just really confused and people started mentioning rms and I'm lost lol. Thanks for any help.

Kicker and high sound quality doesn't belong in the same sentence. You mentioned 8ohm, but that's irrelevant if you're replacing the amp(s) AND speakers. You mentioned the mach 460, the stock Hu runs the front and the rear tweeters and a pair of amps run the rest. You can hook it up like that or run everything off the Kenwood amp, which is what I'd do personally. Hate you be the bearer of bad news but your Sony Hu isn't putting out 175w, you'd be lucky to get 15w.

So if I follow correctly you want to run 2 pairs of 2way coaxial speakers and a pair of tweeters and run the Kenwood amp instead of the mach? I'd run new wire from the Kenwood amp to the 6x8's and new wire to the tweeters. Just secure the factory speaker wire/connectors out of the way. Leave the mach tweeters like they are, and just let the Hu run them. The mach amps will still work for the stock "subs" and you won't create unnecessary work for yourself. IMO, I'd replace the speakers and see how it sounds before adding the extra pair of tweeters. Even entry level coaxials will be a big improvement over the mach speakers. I feel that adding more tweeters to amped coaxials would be a little harsh and overpower the mid and sub frequencies

Sent from my G870a on 38's

Kicker and high sound quality doesn't belong in the same sentence. You mentioned 8ohm, but that's irrelevant if you're replacing the amp(s) AND speakers. You mentioned the mach 460, the stock Hu runs the front and the rear tweeters and a pair of amps run the rest. You can hook it up like that or run everything off the Kenwood amp, which is what I'd do personally. Hate you be the bearer of bad news but your Sony Hu isn't putting out 175w, you'd be lucky to get 15w.
So if I follow correctly you want to run 2 pairs of 2way coaxial speakers and a pair of tweeters and run the Kenwood amp instead of the mach? I'd run new wire from the Kenwood amp to the 6x8's and new wire to the tweeters. Just secure the factory speaker wire/connectors out of the way. Leave the mach tweeters like they are, and just let the Hu run them. The mach amps will still work for the stock "subs" and you won't create unnecessary work for yourself. IMO, I'd replace the speakers and see how it sounds before adding the extra pair of tweeters. Even entry level coaxials will be a big improvement over the mach speakers. I feel that adding more tweeters to amped coaxials would be a little harsh and overpower the mid and sub frequencies

Well look who's retarded lol its me. Crutchfield says the hu puts out 17. Not really sure where I got the 175 from lol. Guess I pulled it out of thin air. If kicker aren't decent for an entry level system looking for some good bass and better highs than stock, what do you suggest? Personal favorites? I don't have tons to spend on them but the ones that I was looking at were around 39 or 49 a pair I believe. Also, I drive a mustang coup, not a convertible so I only have one set of tweeters in my car right on the main door in a windsail looking enclosure. Therefore I was trying to replace the tweeters with some better highs, and add subs with tweeter so that it would have better highs because everything is drowned out by bass even when I have the bass as low as it will go. Maybe new tweeters and one pair of subs with tweeters and the other pair just subs in the rear deck? The radio is a two channel system I believe, so no to tweeters in the radio? Will the Kenwood be enough to power everything? Sorry I am asking so many questions, just trying to make sure I know what to get before Christmas lol. And thanks for your help!

I'd get some of these http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-SA68-Convertible-6x8-Inch-Speaker/dp/B0007TJDFM or these http://r.ebay.com/2oAppv and run a budget 6.5 comp set and some rear coaxial. Soundqubed, Incriminator, Pioneer, and Sony have some nice sounding comps for around $100. I'm running the incriminator personally and love them. You don't want much sound coming from behind you anyways so the rear stage isn't very important. I like the cheap pioneer 2 ways for rear fill. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-G6844R-4-Ohm-2-Way-Speakers/dp/B0065XBGCC

Here's some links to good budget comp set choices

http://r.ebay.com/nlI9z8

http://www.soundqubed.com/QC-HF65_p_144.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_63995_Pioneer-TS-A1605C.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17714_JBL-GTO608C.html

and never go my the max rating.

it means nothing.

and that h/u is only putting out like 5-8 rms.... per ch. at best. more then likely lower..

only go by rms ...

i would get them adaptors and get some nice comp 6.5 set .

are you wanting bass also ??

yes i am also wanting bass. If there is one thing i do like about the stock system, it is that you can literally feel the bass because the car has four subs with one being in each door. but at the same time, i want to be able to hear the highs as well. Just curious what do you mean by comps? component systems? The kickers i was looking at were two way subs with tweeters built in each speaker. I was recommended by the crutchfield guy to go with titanium tweeters in the door sails, just straight kicker subs in the front doors the kind that are just subs no tweeters, and to go with a sub tweeter kicker comb in the back. the one he suggested was this Kicker 40CSS684 6"x8" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

i was putting these in the rear

Kicker 40CS684 6"x8" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

with this amp

Amazon.com : Kenwood KAC-8406 4-Channel Car Amplifier : Electronics

I'd get some of these http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-SA68-Convertible-6x8-Inch-Speaker/dp/B0007TJDFM or these Xscorpion USPA 6090 Universal 6x9 5x7 6x8 to 5 25" 6 5" Speaker Adapter Pair | eBay and run a budget 6.5 comp set and some rear coaxial. Soundqubed, Incriminator, Pioneer, and Sony have some nice sounding comps for around $100. I'm running the incriminator personally and love them. You don't want much sound coming from behind you anyways so the rear stage isn't very important. I like the cheap pioneer 2 ways for rear fill. http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TS-G6844R-4-Ohm-2-Way-Speakers/dp/B0065XBGCC
Here's some links to good budget comp set choices

Incriminator Audio I65C 6 5

QC-HF6.5

Pioneer TS-A1605C 6.5" A-Series Component Car Speakers System

JBL GTO608C 6.5" Grand Touring GTO Component Speakers

also, a 5.25 will fit in my door with a free kit from crutchfield

yes i am also wanting bass. If there is one thing i do like about the stock system, it is that you can literally feel the bass because the car has four subs with one being in each door. but at the same time, i want to be able to hear the highs as well. Just curious what do you mean by comps? component systems? The kickers i was looking at were two way subs with tweeters built in each speaker. I was recommended by the crutchfield guy to go with titanium tweeters in the door sails, just straight kicker subs in the front doors the kind that are just subs no tweeters, and to go with a sub tweeter kicker comb in the back. the one he suggested was this Kicker 40CSS684 6"x8" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com
i was putting these in the rear

Kicker 40CS684 6"x8" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield.com

with this amp

Amazon.com : Kenwood KAC-8406 4-Channel Car Amplifier : Electronics
Way too much money for what you get. I'd do the Jbl, Pioneer, or Sony 6.5" component set for the front, and some cheaper coaxial for the rear if your wanting to buy from Crutchfield. Are you wanting to add a sub?

Way too much money for what you get. I'd do the Jbl, Pioneer, or Sony 6.5" component set for the front, and some cheaper coaxial for the rear if your wanting to buy from Crutchfield. Are you wanting to add a sub?
What about mtx? Maybe mtx tweeters in the front, coaxial mtx thunders in the front doors, and maybe 5inch or 6 inch subs in the rear? My boss suggested mtx as he used to compete with his systems and he said mtx was a good entry level set that would give great sound and bass for the price range

I'd pass on the mtx, but that's just me. I'm running the incriminator audio 6.5" comps and love them. They sound better than most comp sets that cost $50-$100 more. I swapped out my CDT cl-61 for them and don't regret it a bit. Just saying there's a lot of better choices made by non-mainstream companies.

The Incriminator and Soundqubed make some quality comp sets for $100.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.