Need a little help. Please!

Participant count
  • Participant list

YellerF150

So I decided to put the system I had on a shelf in the garage in my truck finaly. Rockford Fosgate Punch 500.2(500watt/2-channel) amp and 2 Rockford Punch 8" subs Amp was last used about 2 years ago and worked flawlessly when removed. Subs were last used about 3 years and one was blown. So got the amp mounted were I want and all wired up then went friday and bought 2 SDX Audio 10s(250rms/500max each) and modifed my from the 8s to fit the 10s. Whole system worked flawlessly friday after I hooked it up rode around town with it on for hours, no problems. Then yesterday I leave for work(about a 40 min drive) and about 3/4 of the way to work the system just cuts off, so when I get home last checked the in-line fuse on the 12v power in line, and fine, amp has power and seems to be working, so I a 6.5" speaker I had laying around and it has sound when hooked to the amp wires. So amp seems to have power and be working but I get nothing from the subs(they're days old)........What could be the problem? do I need to check my ground, is the amp going out, bad subs??

Thanks for the reply mylows. I decied to replace the amp and subs. Because the amp blew a buddy's sub that was rated over 750rms when he said"hey lets look this subs to it and see what happens........., hooked new amp up with the same wiring in the same locations and all is fine so it wasn't a connection problem. My buddy is gonna test the amp and see if it is shorting out internally and blowing the voice coils on the subs or what.

Thanks for the reply mylows. I decied to replace the amp and subs. Because the amp blew a buddy's sub that was rated over 750rms when he said"hey lets look this subs to it and see what happens........., hooked new amp up with the same wiring in the same locations and all is fine so it wasn't a connection problem. My buddy is gonna test the amp and see if it is shorting out internally and blowing the voice coils on the subs or what.
If the subs are being blown by the amp. Most likely it's because the gains up to far. Which means a clipped signal

Yea we were thinking the gain was to high but we had it all the way down when he hooked his sub to it then turned it 1/4 up and then at 1/2 way up it blew the coil on his sub. And when I had the system installed in my explorer I never had a problem with it at 1/2 gain.

Yea we were thinking the gain was to high but we had it all the way down when he hooked his sub to it then turned it 1/4 up and then at 1/2 way up it blew the coil on his sub. And when I had the system installed in my explorer I never had a problem with it at 1/2 gain.
His sub may not have been able to take the power

His sub was rated higher than any i had and I never had any problems when I was pushing a pioneer TS-W254R 10(rated 250rms) with this amp at 1/2 gain.
What was his sub ? Did you check the coils with a dmm to make sure they were good ?

Well amp usually won't blow subs like that. Unless the sub has a problem or wired up wrong
Yea That's why I'm finding it wierd and came here to see if anyone had any advice or had the same problem before. We double checked the wiring to make sure it was right and it was my new amp and subs are wired the same way with the same wiring and have no problems.

Yea That's why I'm finding it wierd and came here to see if anyone had any advice or had the same problem before. We double checked the wiring to make sure it was right and it was my new amp and subs are wired the same way with the same wiring and have no problems.
Still think the sub was bad. Or on its way out.

Yea that's quite possible but he said it was fairly new and he hadn't used it much, but who knows....
Well it's most likely the sub more than amp. I've never heard if an amp in working condition blowing subs for no reason unless the sub was in not so good condition or was getting ready to blow already

Well it's most likely the sub more than amp. I've never heard if an amp in working condition blowing subs for no reason unless the sub was in not so good condition or was getting ready to blow already
I hadn't either, hence why I came here for advice, I'm a novice at this, I know a little about wiring systems in and adjusting gain and all, but this had me sumpted. When I took the amp out I hadn't had any problems with it before. I just went ahead and replaced the subs and amp to be done with it in the truck. My buddy is gonna opem this amp up and check the interals and test everything and play with the gain adjustments and all, and the amp is still good i'll proably use in my celica when I'm done building it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.