Nearly no excursion on Zv.4 15" More power or bigger box?

The old name for pretty much the same unit. Put that on your subs in the box/wall and run the impedance sweep and see what impedance your amps actually see at the frequencies you use.

Have you attempted to fire the box back or up?
I haven't done either, no room for firing up but turning it around can be done, I'm going to try that out this weekend... I'm still thinking I should replace the box as my next "upgrade", just seeing what other people think would be a good solution to add some output and get this beast moving.

I haven't done either, no room for firing up but turning it around can be done, I'm going to try that out this weekend... I'm still thinking I should replace the box as my next "upgrade", just seeing what other people think would be a good solution to add some output and get this beast moving.
Apart from small-ish port, 4 cube and 32hz tuning is right around what Sundown recommends for zv4. Cone movement does not = performance or necessarily output. At higher frequencies cones don't move much, and towards tuning the port is doing most of the work so the cone shouldn't be moving much there either. If you want to watch the cone wobble around just for the sake of looking at the cone wobbling around download some 18hz test tones, otherwise a 32hz tuned port should control the cone down to 22hz or so before it really unloads.

I'd wager you'll notice an audible difference by flipping it around firing back. From there just about anything you try to do will be expensive. Doubling power is very expensive from where you're sitting and regardless of what people are saying there will be risk of breaking something. New box will be expensive and I wouldn't plan to get it optimum the first try, even if you do I don't think you'll gain really big for the investment. By my estimation any of those things will give you essentially 2 more clicks on the volume knob worth of extra output, so weigh that in mind before you fork out your hard earned money.

Firing to the back will make the biggest difference.

Firing back will be louder but you're going to have to find a way to stop all the new rattles you're going to find.

Cool car though, same thing I drive lol

that video was close to your tuning frequency.. where you will have almost no excursion.. is it like that when you play music lower?

Did you turn box around?Results?

Did you turn box around?Results?
Turned it around and had positive results, hit harder without a doubt, and was less distorted... However, the sub is extremely.. I mean fractions of an inch from hitting the trunk during excursion. The box is scooted back as far as it can go and running into the fans on my BC2K... So, i've turned it back around, and will re-think the amp setup to make room... Or... I could seal the trunk off, but that's a little impractical, as much as id like to //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Turned it around and had positive results, hit harder without a doubt, and was less distorted... However, the sub is extremely.. I mean fractions of an inch from hitting the trunk during excursion. The box is scooted back as far as it can go and running into the fans on my BC2K... So, i've turned it back around, and will re-think the amp setup to make room... Or... I could seal the trunk off, but that's a little impractical, as much as id like to //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
You had that little of room?I would of relocated amps as well.

You had that little of room?I would of relocated amps as well.
No real place I can put them besides the spare tire well... And I do like having my spare tire lol. The amps are mounted on MDF, I may angle the MDF along the back of the box to make room, so long as I can secure it...

No real place I can put them besides the spare tire well... And I do like having my spare tire lol. The amps are mounted on MDF, I may angle the MDF along the back of the box to make room, so long as I can secure it...
Can't relocate the amps in the same way you have them in the front of your trunk?Like just flip it polar opposite of what it was in the vid.Put box where your amps are,Amps where box is.

Can't relocate the amps in the same way you have them in the front of your trunk?Like just flip it polar opposite of what it was in the vid.Put box where your amps are,Amps where box is.
That was the first plan actually, but the box cant go far back enough into the trunk. The sides of the trunk taper in as they go up, so even with no carpet, I can push the box back far enough to make room. :\

Oh well because you don't listen to anything above 40hz that means it doesn't exist.
Seriously though, as far as "music" that's pretty much 50hz sine wave:

You guys are pathetic arguing this because you're essentially arguing the same thing. Plus I know where he's coming from since most of my music is sub 40Hz.

Will a Zv4 take a 4k amp daily? Yes it will, all day long. I was even told this by a Sundown rep (I can't remember his name, so don't ask). Will it take a straight sin wave test tone on 4k? It will until it turns into a flamethrower, which wouldn't take real long.

I had a friend who ran his Nightshade on a SAZ4500 at .5 everyday for around an hour and never had a single issue. He never played music above 35ish Hz though and never played test tones.

I know I plan on running 2,500-3,000ish before rise on my SA-12s in the coming months. If I ever run a straight sin wave I know I'll toast them, but I know not to do that with that kind of power.

Bottom line, if you know what you're doing then you should be good to go on more power than rated. But as NoLoud4U commented its one of those things where if you have to ask...

Anywho, OP, I definitely agree on changing the sub position and getting a better box. As stated already as well, excursion doesn't always mean more output.

Music is still sine waves, but is more dynamic (depending on what you listen to).

I know some of the slowed/boosted stuff I listen to has some long bass notes. Straight sine waves bruh.

I missed what amp the OP had and what he was wired to (and don't care to go back and look for it).

Using the 4k amp analogy, wired to one ohm, a Z4 should be fine. Just make sure it's a clean signal in and you're not trying to overdrive the amp. Honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to do that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.