Reducing Road Noise and Sound Deadening my Excursion

Participant count
  • Participant list

DanClark

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I am getting ready to install a system into my Ford Excursion once I pick out the components, and I will be replacing my factory carpet once I tear into the interior. I would like to do every thing that I possibly can to reduce road noise and sound proof my Excursion. I have read to use closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl under my carpet, behind the door panels, under the head liner and over the fire wall. Here are my questions regarding this.

1.) do I still need a deadening material other than the CCF and MLV?

2.) which goes down first, the CCF or the MLV?

3.) what is the best way to attach this stuff on the vertical surfaces such as behind the door panels and under the headliner?

4.) what is the optimal number of pounds for the MLV? I see 1lb and 2lb options, maybe more?

5.) are there any particular brands or types or sites to get the CCF and MLV? And if you suggest a dampening material first, what are some good kinds to get?

I'll try to answer your questions if I can.

1) Yes, you should use a good butyl deadener with a thick foil constrainment layer as a base.

2)The ccf (or neoprene can be used) inbetween the deadener. Just make sure it is closed cell and hydrophobic. (no likey water)

3) I like to use ccf and neoprene that has an adhesive back. Just prep the surface with alcohol or your favorite non residue cleaner. MLV in the headliner is too much work. And very heavy esp. in a vehicle such as yours where there is a long span.

4) MLV. I used 2 lb under the carpet in the cabin from the firewall to under the rear seats and 1lb. in the doors but only on the door skin. Not the inside. I didn't have confidence in an adhesive with that weight given rain/snow. etc

5) Amazon.com: XCEL Extra Large, Value Roll, Sponge Neoprene Sheet with Adhesive 72 in x 17 in x 1/4 in, Made in USA, Easy Cut Material : Industrial & Scientific
Amazon.com: Soundsulate™ 1 lb Mass Loaded Vinyl MLV, Soundproofing Barrier 4' x 25' (100 sf) click for ADDITIONAL OPTIONS : Musical Instruments
Amazon.com: Soundsulate™ 2 lb Mass Loaded Vinyl MLV, Soundproofing Barrier 4' X 15' (60 sf) Click for ADDITIONAL OPTIONS : Musical Instruments

It gets expensive quick. Remember we want the MLV to have the ability to move so some aluminum tape in the right spots secures it and allows it to float. (see third photo.)
Let me preface it by saying that no one needs to go as far as I have. A good portion of my budget (+$1000) is dedicated to this ..and I'm clinically insane.

Blackhole, vibraflex, and second skin seem to be the best. I went a more budget route for deadener as I was using multi-layers and it was but a part of the whole deadening process for me. Just make sure it's butyl. No asphalt.
20220513_155335_HDR.jpg
20220516_122313_HDR.jpg
20220816_141449.jpg

I'll try to answer your questions if I can.

1) Yes, you should use a good butyl deadener with a thick foil constrainment layer as a base.

2)The ccf (or neoprene can be used) inbetween the deadener. Just make sure it is closed cell and hydrophobic. (no likey water)

3) I like to use ccf and neoprene that has an adhesive back. Just prep the surface with alcohol or your favorite non residue cleaner. MLV in the headliner is too much work. And very heavy esp. in a vehicle such as yours where there is a long span.

4) MLV. I used 2 lb under the carpet in the cabin from the firewall to under the rear seats and 1lb. in the doors but only on the door skin. Not the inside. I didn't have confidence in an adhesive with that weight given rain/snow. etc

5) Amazon.com: XCEL Extra Large, Value Roll, Sponge Neoprene Sheet with Adhesive 72 in x 17 in x 1/4 in, Made in USA, Easy Cut Material : Industrial & Scientific
Amazon.com: Soundsulate™ 1 lb Mass Loaded Vinyl MLV, Soundproofing Barrier 4' x 25' (100 sf) click for ADDITIONAL OPTIONS : Musical Instruments
Amazon.com: Soundsulate™ 2 lb Mass Loaded Vinyl MLV, Soundproofing Barrier 4' X 15' (60 sf) Click for ADDITIONAL OPTIONS : Musical Instruments

It gets expensive quick. Remember we want the MLV to have the ability to move so some aluminum tape in the right spots secures it and allows it to float. (see third photo.)
Let me preface it by saying that no one needs to go as far as I have. A good portion of my budget (+$1000) is dedicated to this ..and I'm clinically insane.

Blackhole, vibraflex, and second skin seem to be the best. I went a more budget route for deadener as I was using multi-layers and it was but a part of the whole deadening process for me. Just make sure it's butyl. No asphalt.
View attachment 42207View attachment 42208View attachment 42209

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have just a few more questions that I would like to run by you.

1.) I was a little confused about what order the materials go down in. Are you saying that I should start with a Butyl deadener first then go over that with CCF then go over the CCF with MLV? In that order? So the CCF goes on top of the deadener and the MLV goes on top of the CCF?

2.) do you have any particular sites you recommend getting the CCF and MLV from?

Thanks again!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...