My install's coming along nicely

A big LOL....no more stereo for this guy.
Which guy? If you are talking about me, I have my PHD comps running just fine and the two 6x9s in the rear of Baby I working just fine! Hardly enough, but not shabby!

John Kuthe...

when you had that guy fix your problems and setup your dsp did he say what maximum level to go to on the hu? did you change and bass or treble settings on the hu? according to most reviews ive read of that series of hu if everything is not set flat it can start clipping at 28 out of 35 on the volume scale
No, Tim didn't tell me or warn me of any maximum volume levels to play at. And yes for right now I went into the HU and turned the bass all the way down because it was way over powering all the rest of the music, and I've been thinking of going into the HU's parametric equalizer function and paring the bass down even further! But I did on my own turn the volume up all the way on the DSP's volume control to give me maximal volume control on the HU's volume control, and I should have limited my HU's volume control a lot more carefully! But I don't like being limited on principle and now have paid the price once again for my excesses. And yes, for most songs the maximum good volume level was about 30 or so to avoid audible perceivable clipping, distortion or speaker excursion interference.

John Kuthe...

Just got out and pulled the sub wires out of that little plastic plug Alpine makes, tested the resistance and it's an OPEN CIRCUIT!! No connection, infinite resistance. AKA BROKEN and no fixing it!! Well, not without major sub rebuilding which I am NOT gonna do. Should be about 4 Ohms resistance. An expensive lesson I just learned the hard way! ;-)

Oh well, easy but expensive fix! :) But I'm gonna pull the sub speaker out of the cabinet and test it separately before I order a new one. Because of the STUPID problem I precipitated as detailed below! I can't seem to do anything right! :-(

But now I have another problem! I reconnected my driver's door 6x9 whose speaker wire I'd accidentally pulled out of the little $25-$30 Alpine speaker plug into my A9 amp, plugged it back into my A9 amp and NOTHING at the speaker!! This is getting stupid! :-( Rear 6x9s are working fine!

John Kuthe...

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow! Not only have you made pretty much every mistake know to man, I think you invented some new mistakes. You have taken "learning from your mistakes" to a new level. Unfortunately, you will probably not learn from it.

Holy cow! Not only have you made pretty much every mistake know to man, I think you invented some new mistakes. You have taken "learning from your mistakes" to a new level. Unfortunately, you will probably not learn from it.
I'll tell ya! Not so Cheap Chinese JUNK! Cracked the cheap plastic case of these stupid proprietary speaker wire plugs to my PDX-V9 am too! Trying to put the speaker wire back in and snug it down good and snug with my little Allen wrench!

And new ones are like $25 to $30!! EACH!! I Googled them! No wonder why China is taking over the world! With cheap plastic imitations of quality USA made technology! :-( Makes me wanna rip open my PDX-V9 amp and FIND the metal conductor coming out of the power amp circuits and WELD a good strong terminal block to it!

I KNOW what quality is and believe me this is the LAST Alpine equipment I will ever buy! Ever! :-(

John Kuthe...

John

Now do you see why people were giving you **** about your equipment, even though it was entirely user error its still not the highest quality stuff especially for the money you had invested.
Yep! Except when functionally installed, Alpine stuff does seem to sound pretty good! In my experience.

John Kuthe...

Yep! Except when functionally installed, Alpine stuff does seem to sound pretty good! In my experience.
John Kuthe...

pretty much any audio equipment will sound good when "properly" installed and tuned. Unfortunately you will probably never experience this. Its not cheap outsourced labor that has doomed your install its your hamfisted attempt at trying to actually be an engineer instead of just claiming you are one.

pretty much any audio equipment will sound good when "properly" installed and tuned. Unfortunately you will probably never experience this. Its not cheap outsourced labor that has doomed your install its your hamfisted attempt at trying to actually be an engineer instead of just claiming you are one.
By degrees I am a "computer engineer" and I worked for IBM for seven years successfully as a computer engineer. I know how computers work ON THE INSIDE! This does NOT mean I know how to tell YOU how to make YOUR computer work, for YOU!

John Kuthe...

I'll tell ya! Not so Cheap Chinese JUNK! Cracked the cheap plastic case of these stupid proprietary speaker wire plugs to my PDX-V9 am too! Trying to put the speaker wire back in and snug it down good and snug with my little Allen wrench!
And new ones are like $25 to $30!! EACH!! I Googled them! No wonder why China is taking over the world! With cheap plastic imitations of quality USA made technology! :-( Makes me wanna rip open my PDX-V9 amp and FIND the metal conductor coming out of the power amp circuits and WELD a good strong terminal block to it!

I KNOW what quality is and believe me this is the LAST Alpine equipment I will ever buy! Ever! :-(

John Kuthe...

Alpine logo.svg

Type

Public K.K. (TYO: 6816)

Industry Consumer electronics

Founded Tokyo, Japan (May 10, 1967)

Headquarters Shinagawa, Tokyo, Japan

Key people

Seizo Ishiguro, Chairman ; Toru Usami, President and CEO

Products Car audio and automotive navigation systems

Revenue Increase265,054 million Yen (2007)[1]

Number of employees

10,566 Consolidated

Parent Alps Electric

Website Alpine Electronics, Inc.

Can't blame China for cheap USA imitations. Alpine has never been made on US soil. Only one here to blame is you.

Try to find someone with an oscilloscope or an SMD DD1 to help you set up your new equipment.

By degrees I am a "computer engineer" and I worked for IBM for seven years successfully as a computer engineer. I know how computers work ON THE INSIDE! This does NOT mean I know how to tell YOU how to make YOUR computer work, for YOU!
John Kuthe...
Not that successfully since they laid you off....Don't even mention about your job being outsourced...If you were any good they wouldn't have so readily laid you off in the middle of the tech bubble ;-)

Assuming you're telling the truth a Comp engineer with 7 year experience should be able to make close to 6 figures. You're telling me you wanted to go back to school and start working for substantially less money as a R.N.? Even if philanthropy was your goal you couldn't put your engineering talents to use aiding in the development of a product, medical or otherwise, that could help thousands (if not millions) across the globe? You could have even taught in 2nd and 3rd world countries where STEM education is a woefully neglected need.

BTW You've said in the past you worked in IT, that's not nearly the same as a computer engineer. Which is it? LIAR!!!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

JohnKuthe

CarAudio.com Veteran
JohnKuthe
Missouri
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from