My first "Active" "SQ'ish" build attempt.

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I am starting to think that passive crossovers color the sound or add distortion. After I listen to music for a while at decently loud levels but not crazy loud, my mids and highs start to sound fuzzy/cloudy. After I get back to the restaurant and shut the car off for a few minutes then take my next delivery, the sound is fine again.

Do the components inside of a passive crossover act differently when they get warm? My midbass, which are fully active don't suffer from this "fuzzy-cloudy" issue. It is a barely noticeable thing but it is noticeable. It is more so my DD mids than the ARC tweeters though. At least it is more noticeable in the mids.

I am thinking about going from my 2.75" to an actual 3.5" mid as well.

blazian87

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I am starting to think that passive crossovers color the sound or add distortion. After I listen to music for a while at decently loud levels but not crazy loud, my mids and highs start to sound fuzzy/cloudy. After I get back to the restaurant and shut the car off for a few minutes then take my next delivery, the sound is fine again.

Do the components inside of a passive crossover act differently when they get warm? My midbass, which are fully active don't suffer from this "fuzzy-cloudy" issue. It is a barely noticeable thing but it is noticeable. It is more so my DD mids than the ARC tweeters though. At least it is more noticeable in the mids.

I am thinking about going from my 2.75" to an actual 3.5" mid as well.
I get that same feeling when I'm playing passives for an extended period of time and it will play better when it has cooled down. It could be the amp overheating too tho.. idk.. but I do know that passives have a higher power requirement and retain most of the heat inside the passives which = wasted power. Having more power on tap would probably help in this situation if you're playing for long periods of time. Tweeters will rarely ever get hot because even when it's split from passives, it's still very little power used compared to a mid.

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I get that same feeling when I'm playing passives for an extended period of time and it will play better when it has cooled down. It could be the amp overheating too tho.. idk.. but I do know that passives have a higher power requirement and retain most of the heat inside the passives which = wasted power. Having more power on tap would probably help in this situation if you're playing for long periods of time. Tweeters will rarely ever get hot because even when it's split from passives, it's still very little power used compared to a mid.
Cool, so I am not going crazy.

SkizeR

May 28, 2011
New York
if i remember correctly, youre not even using proper passives? that on its own is an issue. But the issue is most likely not the passives themselves, but the voice coils heating up. When they heat up, things change. Impedance being one of them. Impedance changing effects the crossover. Impedance is actually exactly why you should not be mixing and matching drivers/passives blindly. Could also be your ears. Our ears protect themselves from extended high volumes by tightening your ear drums. you might not feel it, but your hearing will be effected until it goes back to normal

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
if i remember correctly, youre not even using proper passives? that on its own is an issue. But the issue is most likely not the passives themselves, but the voice coils heating up. When they heat up, things change. Impedance being one of them. Impedance changing effects the crossover. Impedance is actually exactly why you should not be mixing and matching drivers/passives blindly. Could also be your ears. Our ears protect themselves from extended high volumes by tightening your ear drums. you might not feel it, but your hearing will be effected until it goes back to normal
I am using two way ARC Audio crossovers. The tweeters are ARC Audio tweeters. I am fully thinking it is the weak ass DD 2.75" mids. I think they would be fine on head unit power but when it comes to amplifier power... the DD's do well for a little while then you can hear them change and get odd sounding until again, I shut the car off for better than 5 min. The coils heating up makes sense because the last set separated from the cone which is glued around the dust cap which is atop the voice coil.

I am looking at some 3.5" mids to replace the DD's with. Like $150 and under for a pair. I am not sure what you mean "proper passives" though... could you elaborate?

SkizeR

May 28, 2011
New York
ok, its good that you are using the right passives for the right tweeters. When i say "proper passives", i mean ones that are designed for the drivers in use. Passive crossovers are more than just "pick a frequency, a slope, and DCR". They can actually get extremely complicated and take care of a lot of acoustic issues. Car audio ones are typically crap and super basic due to space constraints and cost, as well as the unpredictability of every car/install. for mids in your budget, look into the Audiofrog GS25 or GS40

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
The Audiofrogs are too expensive and the wrong size. My DD's fit because of the 3.5" adapter. I am looking a some old school Kicker R3's or some B2 Audio 3.5" or the Infinity Kappa Perfect 300M's. As you can see in the pic... I am using the stock 3.5" location in the factory speaker pods.

SkizeR

May 28, 2011
New York
GS25 is 70 over your budget. Trust me, that 70 dollars will be worth it GREATLY over the other options you just mentioned. My advice has been good so far, hasn't it? ;) Just make an adapter to fit a GS25.

Also, please don't run the wire underneath the mounting flange of your speaker....

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
"Brooklyn Accent" 70 dollas is 70 dollas.

You think the GS's will handle the power better than the DD's?

The speaker wires are laying on a foam rubber piece... it's pretty sealed believe it or not.

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
I am about to go to work but before I leave I have "bypassed" the 2.75" DD mids. I am running the Silverflutes from 80hz to 4khz. The 4Khz and up is still going into the passive crossover as I just used the 3Sixty.3 to set the crossover electronically. I haven't messed with speaker wires as I am in a "rush". I just want to see if tonight the faint weirdness (cotton like fuzziness) of what I am assuming is the DD's acting silly is gone by "bypassing" them. If yes, I am for sure up sizing or upgrading to a 3.5".

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Well, I played the lowest resolution audio I have exclusively all day long while delivering at work. Couple things... these ARC Audio tweeters are pretty damn good! The Silverflutes don't mind playing to 4Khz at all.

Ok, the weird fuzziness... well, it was not there at all today. I am both sad and happy. Sad because I really was pulling for the little DD's. Happy because the shit sounded clear as a bell with music down to 128kbps.

Well, until I secure some quality mids I am going to go back to full active 2-way. I was able to play my music louder this way too. I can't wait to see the difference sound deadening makes.

ItsHammer

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2020
Florida
Your tweeters are in your sail panels right? Do you prefer them up high like that? Have you tried relocating them closer to your mids?

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Your tweeters are in your sail panels right? Do you prefer them up high like that? Have you tried relocating them closer to your mids?
No, they are mounted... ehh custom mounted into the factory door locations. The pic shows the actual tweeter in my door panel. I kid you not, the music sounds head high.

OP
ThxOne

ThxOne

AudioFreak
Jun 8, 2018
Saint Marys, GA
Tried my Hires USB thumb drive out today on the 2-way active-ish setup. As I suspected... it sounded even better than the crappy 128kbps mp3's. The Hires drive is 92/24bit and 192/24bit FLAC files. I am getting so tired of taking the door panels off. I am going to re-measure yet again tomorrow before work. This time to the tweeters and I will leave they stereo alone until the sound deadener gets here.

I am buying based on cost... Sorry SkizeR. I am going to use Noico 80mil and Noico Red 150mil. I will do a layer of 80mil butyl and foil then directly on top do the Noico Red 150mil closed cell polyethylene foam. If I didn't like food and electricity, I would buy the ResoNix but it just isn't in the budget.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 17)

• SkizeR
  • B

Trending topics

Latest classifieds