Mounting Depth - 99 Camaro

Participant count
  • Participant list

Vipervenom18
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Earth
I know a lot of you guys here have/had f bodies, and I am looking into buying some 6.5in comps for it. I have a 99 Camaro (Monsoon system...yuck)

I plan on placing the midrange/midbass speaker in the stock location, and I am not sure where I plan on locating the tweeter. There is not really a clear place to potentially install the tweeter but I'll do a lot of testing locations when I do get the comps.

But my main concern is the mounting depth on the stock locations. I could pretty much put in any 6.5 in speaker in my truck, it was very deep, but I am not sure about this car.

If any of you know or can point me in the right direction where I could find this out, that would be awesome //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I have a polk component system in mine, and they are 6.75". They wouldnt fit in the stock location, so I cut a circle in 1/4" plywood and mounted the speaker in it, and then bloted that to the door. Even without any kind of spacer, they fit no problem.

My tweeters are mounted on the plastic piese that covers the mirror bolts. I'm not sure if the '98 and ups have that though. I used he existing screw hole. It looks good, and they have stayd there until this day,

I have a polk component system in mine, and they are 6.75". They wouldnt fit in the stock location, so I cut a circle in 1/4" plywood and mounted the speaker in it, and then bloted that to the door. Even without any kind of spacer, they fit no problem.
My tweeters are mounted on the plastic piese that covers the mirror bolts. I'm not sure if the '98 and ups have that though. I used he existing screw hole. It looks good, and they have stayd there until this day,
Thanks again for the reply. I am not sure if my gen Camaro is the same, as I cannot really see tweeters fitting in that location. Do/can you post any pics of your set up so I can see if it is the same idea?

I am really hoping to see what I can fit in the stock location depth wise, I always have just made spacers, of course, if they do not fit. However, I have heard a couple times that the door covers will not fit with any type of spacer whatsoever, so that ***** if true...

I will also try and get pics of the interior to give you and everyone else an idea what I am working with.

I mise well also post pics of the car itself as some of you guys wanted to see it. I will get on that later tonight possibly.

Here is a pic of how I mounted mine. There was a screw in the mounting cup that came with the tweeter, and there was a screw to hold the cover for the mirror on. I ran a longer screw through both and it holds them both fine.

49856235fullxz4.jpg'%20alt='49856235fullxz4.jpg'>

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.