Melting fuse

If you're not melting the fuse, and you are melting the HOUSING, one of two things is happening.
1. Your connections are loose where it is melting, and you are getting too much resistance creating too much heat. If you are tightening these down HARD, or it's not happening specifically at a connection, then,
2. Your fuse holder is cheap and can't even handle a 100 amp load. Fuse HOLDERS have an amperage rating too. A half way decent one should be over 100 amps, up to 2,3,400 amps, and should tell you what not to exceed.

You've gone through two already, tell us more about the fuse holder. Got a picture or link to what it is?

Wow, that's the dumbest thing you've ever posted here and that's up against some stiff competition.

Well if it's 4awg ofc of decent quality it would likely work since real 4awg is rated at 150amp.

I suspect he is drawing over 100amps through the fuse holder but just under the threshold to blow the fuse causing the fuse to overheat

It could be a loose connection

Or my 100% pick for a guess is the 4awg kit he has is closer to 8awg and the 100amp fuse is oversized causing the wire to heat up at the point of most resistance. That being the fuse holder.

This is really common with Walmart amp kits and people putting larger fuses because they popped to original

A lot of the glass fuse holders are absolute garbage. I'd rather see a nut and bolt style ANL holder.

Here are three older glass holders I have in my parts box and you can see the bad style with the insert. Check and see which style you have.

I’ll say it now, the only good one is the silver color one. Not talking any particular brand, just the design.
Note that the cheap MAXI / bladed holders are equally garbage, as the connectors in them generally don't grip the fuse legs tight enough for a low resistance connection, hence they melt. And as mentioned, loose connections will cause this, so make sure the wire is clamped in tight. Upload your photos to postimage.org, then copy / paste the Hotlinks for forums code into your message (thats how I'm doing the pics here).

IMG-4061.jpg

Look at the American Bass holder and the other non-branded. They use a ridiculous insert to make the electrical connection to the fuse and the main brass body, just a slip fit that is supposed to add tension, and it just isn’t enough for the high amperage being passed through it.

IMG-4062.jpg

IMG-4063.jpg

IMG-4068.jpg

IMG-4069.jpg

IMG-4071.jpg

Now look at the Rockford, it has several fingers that pinch the fuse tightly, and it is noticeably tighter when pulling the fuse out. The fuse contacts the fuse holder directly for much less resistance.

IMG-4064.jpg

IMG-4065.jpg

And then there is this style which is also pretty good if you have a decent one, the contacts in these are very tight and grip the fuses very well. But again, just get a decent ANL holder and be done with it.

IMG-4073.jpg

Wow, that's the dumbest thing you've ever posted here and that's up against some stiff competition.

Audiobahn gave it a like so I'm fine with what I said. Are you wanting to start some shitt? You've said plenty of dumb azz shitt yourself. I'm down if you want to play games. I eased up on Buck. Let me know.

What's wrong with a 150 anl fuse?
The fact that he is already melting fuse holders. How is adding a larger fuse going to fix the underlying condition (under-sized wire or poor connection) that's causing him to melt holders? If anything he is going to be only that much closer to burning his car to the ground. If he has never actually opened a fuse why would he consider over fusing? Why even consider over-fusing if he is opening fuses? Why even tell him to use a fuse, just tell him to jam a penny in there.

The fact that he is already melting fuse holders. How is adding a larger fuse going to fix the underlying condition (under-sized wire or poor connection) that's causing him to melt holders? If anything he is going to be only that much closer to burning his car to the ground. If he has never actually opened a fuse why would he consider over fusing? Why even consider over-fusing if he is opening fuses? Why even tell him to use a fuse, just tell him to jam a penny in there.

Sorry I was drinking and thought he was blowing fuses. That Pabst Blue Ribbon gets me every time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...