Melting fuse

Bumping PHX

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 12, 2022
I have a question for the pros.. I'm running a MTX Thunder 2800 to four subs, my 100 amp fuse near battery keeps melting after a couple weeks??? What should I do go bigger?

ThxOne

AudioFreak
5,000+ posts
Jun 8, 2018
I have a question for the pros.. I'm running a MTX Thunder 2800 to four subs, my 100 amp fuse near battery keeps melting after a couple weeks??? What should I do go bigger?
We might need more to go on. One, I can't find this amp anywhere to see its specs. Two, what size power wire are you using from the battery to the amp? Three, what subs and what ohm load are they wired to at the amplifier? Got a pic of the amplifier?

Reactions: Deiimos

Bumping PHX

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 12, 2022
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We might need more to go on. One, I can't find this amp anywhere to see its specs. Two, what size power wire are you using from the battery to the amp? Three, what subs and what ohm load are they wired to at the amplifier? Got a pic of the amplifier?
It's a mint condition amp from 1995 , I'm running the subs at 2ohm 4 gauge red wire, it did this with my alpine M series amp as well.. My amp doesn't get hot tho

ThxOne

AudioFreak
5,000+ posts
Jun 8, 2018
It's a mint condition amp from 1995 , I'm running the subs at 2ohm 4 gauge red wire, it did this with my alpine M series amp as well.. My amp doesn't get hot tho
Heat melts things and if there is heat there then there is resistance. This is usually from loose connections.

Is it melting the fuse housing or the fuse or both? Is the fuse blowing? If the fuse is NOT blowing it is probably resistance cause by a loose connection.

Reactions: Deiimos

Bumping PHX

CarAudio.com Newbie
Aug 12, 2022
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Heat melts things and if there is heat there then there is resistance. This is usually from loose connections.

Is it melting the fuse housing or the fuse or both? Is the fuse blowing? If the fuse is NOT blowing it is probably resistance cause by a loose connection.
Yes it's melting the housing , the fuse doesn't blow just melts around it n I've tried a few different fuse holders....

ThxOne

AudioFreak
5,000+ posts
Jun 8, 2018
Yes it's melting the housing , the fuse doesn't blow just melts around it n I've tried a few different fuse holders....
Ok, what type of fuse is it? Glass fuse? Maxi?

ThxOne

AudioFreak
5,000+ posts
Jun 8, 2018
100 amp glass fuse I've went threw three of those I think the other was a maxi 120 amp fuse
Ok we are getting somewhere. What is the power rating of that amplifier and are there fuses on the amp? If so, how many and what rating?

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 28, 2011

ThxOne

AudioFreak
5,000+ posts
Jun 8, 2018

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 28, 2011
  • Haha
Reactions: spokey9

audiobaun

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jun 28, 2011
I personally run a circuit breaker after the battery then fuse blocks near the amps.
I ran into problems with those years back tripping prematurely on road trips even driving around town,being cold out side or raining or over heating and just tripping all together. I do run one on my Tommy Lift and Trip it Manually to keep kids and the Like from messing with the switch on the rear, But ANL Fuse weather sealed is the way to go under the hood of my experiencing

Reactions: ThxOne

Create an account or login to post

You must be a member in order to post a message

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.