Mdf build with no screws

Doubling up material helps a lot as well. Also if you can rabbit out your joints 1/8" that will add strength. Sharpen or replace blades and bits for cleaner edges and use tightbond 3. In the box I just built I rabbited, glued, clamped, and 1 1/2 air finishing nailed it and let the glue dry before removing the clamps. Good luck bruh

I've done them but never with anything high powered. Nail/brad gun + glue is quick but I wouldn't trust it to hold up to real abuse over time.
Agreed. Using screws may take longer to assemble but it is more durable. As for MDF, I stopped using it a few years ago. Heavy as hell, sawdust everywhere when cutting and turns to crap when it comes to contact with water.

I've used birch and Brad nails with you too but didn't want to spend the 50$ since I'm always changing up my system , lol. This box won't have much abuse since its on a surround sound system - movies don't have that constant extreme bass that music does. I hope I'm ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used birch and Brad nails with you too but didn't want to spend the 50$ since I'm always changing up my system , lol. This box won't have much abuse since its on a surround sound system - movies don't have that constant extreme bass that music does. I hope I'm ok

Use 11 layered pine. 30 a sheet, almost as light as birch, every bit as strong, easy to work with. Never ever mdf ever again.

Use 11 layered pine. 30 a sheet, almost as light as birch, every bit as strong, easy to work with. Never ever mdf ever again.
Do you have to go to a lumber place for that? Most of the lumber places around me are closed on the weekends. Unfortunately, the nearby Lowes only carry 5/6 layered birch.

Rabbiting?

This isn't kitchen cabinet building. Let's not overcomplicate things.

Ask the people at car audio shops how they build their enclosures. 9 times outta 10 I'm willing to bet it's wood glue and brad nails. Not only faster on their end but easier too and not to mess with 300 screws.

I have built many enclosures out of MDF using wood glue and drywall screws. Never an issue later on in life. Just started recently using birch.

Yeah I've built with mdf and a ton of screws too, ***** cause it's more work and time consuming . I've also used birch , nails and glue which is ideal but now I went with mdf and nails and glue which was questionable. Part of me wonders if the glue alone would hold since I feel like mdf is basically compressed saw dust that may not grip the nails in time. We'll see what happens I guess. Should have this built my this weekend

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.