Loudest passive comp set?

Participant count
  • Participants list
I was looking at all the Dayton mid choices. What is the difference with paper and aluminum cones when it comes to mids? Does it affect sound?

Short version the aluminum would probably have a touch better bass, but the paper should play a little higher with less break up..

I got the paper RS225's with some peerless tweets that can play down 1400hz with ease in some 2 way active garage speakers i built and I'm pretty impressed.

When I built them I had the aluminum cones but those are in my doors now figured they might hold up better in a car.

Here's the garage speaks (my chitty phone doesn't do good pics)

Attachments

• DSC04422.JPG
    DSC04422.JPG
    600.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC04426.JPG
    DSC04426.JPG
    849.3 KB · Views: 19
With a passive xover with a 12db slope, you are only losing about 10% of the power.

Thats not the real issue. Passive crossovers are a set crossover point and use 12db slopes. Nothing specifically bad about 12db slopes except in this case you are sending alot of extra power below the point you want the speaker to play. A huge limiter on how loud a speaker will play is low its playing.

High passing your 6.5's at 80hz vs 100hz is a big difference in clarity and volume. Same goes for tweeters. If your passive set crosses them down around 2.4khz(pretty standard), raising that crossover point to 3k will let the tweeter take a fair bit more power and play alot louder.

I don't know the formula, but for every octave you drop you require some measurement more power to reproduce the same volume level. By raising the crossover point, you are increasing the amount of mechanical power handling of the driver and also reducing the "distortion" present in the playback.

Raising mb y midrange crossover from 250 to 500hz was a HUGE boost to my overall volume level and clarity.

Matt

I continue to tune my system every time I drive my truck. It’s a never ending process.

I know that feeling. I just changed headunits, so along with a DSP I have a 21 band parametric EQ on the HU. Since I have to plug my computer in to make changes to the DSP, now I can make small changes in EQ throughout the week and finalize the changes on the weekend.

Hopefully, I won't be changing speakers or anything ever again.

Matt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...