Loudest passive comp set?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Ridinhi
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
I understand that loud is subjective. After about 4 passive comp sets in my single cab ‘96 f150, just can’t get loud enough. Currently running Infinity Kappa Perfect 600 comps. Using the passives and mids and replaced the tweets with cdt drt-26. Amp is Nvx VAD8402. Sounds good honestly but just not loud enough. Sub is American bass xfl 10 with Ct sounds 2000.1.
not sure if it’s just my truck that is having a hard time getting loud or just me?

Getting loud with passives is a bit difficult. The easiest way to get louder is to go active and or raise your high pass crossover points. Going to a beefier set of speakers would accomplish your goals most likely.

I was feeding my Hertz MLK 1650.3 set about 70w into the passive crossovers and they were plenty loud. I switched to active and raised the tweeter crossover by about 500hz, high passed the mids at 100hz instead of 80, and fed the mids about 60w and the tweeters about 20w they were much better sounding and louder.

Now I'm running 3 way and the same tweeters are hilariously loud when playing from 5k and up on something like 25w.

Matt

Getting loud with passives is a bit difficult. The easiest way to get louder is to go active and or raise your high pass crossover points. Going to a beefier set of speakers would accomplish your goals most likely.

I was feeding my Hertz MLK 1650.3 set about 70w into the passive crossovers and they were plenty loud. I switched to active and raised the tweeter crossover by about 500hz, high passed the mids at 100hz instead of 80, and fed the mids about 60w and the tweeters about 20w they were much better sounding and louder.

Now I'm running 3 way and the same tweeters are hilariously loud when playing from 5k and up on something like 25w.

Matt
Wow! Well, im not wanting to go active in this truck but may be what I need.
I have a set of sb acoustic mids and tweets from Madisound that I may need to put to use. Seems passive Is not cutting it for me.😔

Just do what I’m doing, run 4 midbass drivers, 4 tweeters, and send them 1200w rms and hope for the best 😂. On a serious note if you want loud with not a lot of power, pro audio drivers are the best option for that. I personally don’t like the way they sound but as always it’s purely subjective.

Matt
I’ve always heard that passive holds back but d@mn. I bet if I went active, I would not look back.

I'm going active for the first time as we speak and with no tuning just XO points set I like what I'm hearing.
Running Dayton 8" RS225 in lower doors, Dayton RS100 in the stock dash location and some KEF tweeters just sitting on the dash but soon will be in the pillars.. For power a JL XD600/6 and a Dayton DSP-408

I'm liking this setup more than any of the passive sets I've run in the past..

After the front stage is setup I'll be starting a new box build for two 15" Dayton RSS390HE-22's

I'm going active for the first time as we speak and with no tuning just XO points set I like what I'm hearing.
Running Dayton 8" RS225 in lower doors, Dayton RS100 in the stock dash location and some KEF tweeters just sitting on the dash but soon will be in the pillars.. For power a JL XD600/6 and a Dayton DSP-408

After the front stage is setup I'll be starting a new box build for two 15" Dayton RSS390HE-22's
Sounds like it will be a very nice setup!

I was looking at all the Dayton mid choices. What is the difference with paper and aluminum cones when it comes to mids? Does it affect sound?

If your subwoofer sounds good up in the 100- 110 hertz range you can go with pro audio 6.5’s and gain a ton of loudness ( like twice as loud as regular comps). If your subwoofer doesn’t sound good up that high my recommendation is the SSA evil 6.5. Not quite as loud as a pure pro audio speaker but with better mid bass.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...