Looking to get a sharper sounding bass

Participant count
  • Participant list

sbboy

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi guys, I'm new to the car audio world so I'm not to familiar with all the terms and functions. I basically wanted better sounding bass for my car so I recently got a subwoofer and amplifier from my local car audio shop. I got the Alpine MRV-M500 (amp) and one 10 inch Alpine S-W10D2 (sub) installed by them on my Volkswagen Jetta. I didn't change the inside speakers because they sound pretty good and the guy at the store said it wasn't needed to change. Initially they tuned everything but said to come back in a couple of weeks so they can tune it again, but since COVOID-19 everything is closed.

So at the moment they sound pretty good but I'm looking to get a sharper sounding bass (harder hitting) rather than super loud bass. On my amplifier I can adjust the gain, low pass filter and bass EQ. Initially the bass EQ was set at +2 (it goes all the way to +12) but someone told me to turn it off, so I did and it sounds a lot better (cleaner). For the gain I've been playing with it and found that it sounds good at about 40% of the way and now I just need to adjust the LP filter, which goes from 50- 400HZ. I currently have it at 60 right now, but was wondering if turning it down would have any effect on the sound of the bass (making it sound sharper).

Other then that I was wondering if there's anything else I should tune to get that sharper bass (play with the gain even more or like adjust anything in the actual car system ex: treble, and mids)

Thank you for your help :D

If you want better bass I would have them swap that sub out and put the correct one in the box. By that I mean one with dual 4 ohm voice coils so it can be wired to 2 ohms. Or a single 2 ohm voice coil subwoofer so the amp see's 2 ohms. I am not sure why a shop would sell you a sub that can only be 1ohm or 4ohms for a 2 ohm amp.

If you don't mind getting 200w less out of your amp... start near 80hz for the low pass filter. You may need the bass EQ to add little extra to the output. For the gain, turn your head unit up to the loudest you would normally listen to it and with the gain on 0 for the sub amp, play some familiar music and slowly turn up the gain... stop, listen, adjust further if needed but don't let the sub distort. Word?

Last edited:
If you don't mind getting 200w less out of your amp... start near 80hz for the low pass filter. You may need the bass EQ to a little extra to the output. For the gain, turn your head unit up to the loudest you would normally listen to it and with the gain on 0 for the sub amp, play some familiar music and slowly turn up the gain... stop, listen, adjust further if needed but don't let the sub distort. Word?

Okay sounds good ill try that out. Cheers

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.